Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 08:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 09:15
I think the right answer is A.

B is wrong because it uses they (minivans) and if we take off the modifier we'll have minivans they cost less which is wrong.

C is wrong because it again uses they - and we have Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and have a lower cost, they ..... So there is no need to use they once again as we can understand that we're talking about minivans.

D I think that there is no need to use gerund (carrying) while we can parralel all verbs.

E Awkward construction as it introduces one more independent seubject cost.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 08:47
Even I chose A. But the official answer is D. Is the official answer wrong ?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 08:53
WinIT wrote:

Take it easy...Should be A..Checked in a old thread

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... passengers
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 20:02
trivikram wrote:
WinIT wrote:

Take it easy...Should be A..Checked in a old thread

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... passengers

Yah - Take it easy and don't believe this thread. A is wrong !

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

The phrases conjugated by these two ands are just wrong ... there is no double split so why double "and" ?

"allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride." is not a single idea.

You have to say
1) X, Y and Z OR
2) X and (Yand Z) where (Y and Z) represents a single idea

D is correct.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 20:14
100% D here no matter what other thread says... here is why:

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

that AND makes us think that there is only 1 more reason to like minivans
THEY CARRY AND COST LESS... crap... they actually do something esle -> and actually it's a list in the ununderlined portion:
get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride
SO A IS 100% wrong

We usually use AND when we list the last item:
X does A, B and C.

So the structure should be the following:
Minivans CARRY blah, describes blah, get better mileage, allow..., AND have a smoother ride. ANSWER D gives us exactly that

B. is a mess and not parallel
C. has same problem as A
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, is the answer I was looking for
E. same problems as B and C
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2006, 20:17
"Carrying" in D is a participle and is part of a modifier, so there is absolutely nothing wrong with it :!:
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 06:14
Looks like we gotta hot one here gang :-D

I agree with the (A) crowd here. We are defining the minivan in terms of its capacity and ease of use while comparing it to SUVs.

carry...cost...get...allow...have....

D sounds as if minivans are performing the central action of the sentence.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 16:25
for those of you who picked A, check this one out:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=38362
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:00
A question here.

Isnt D looking like "the minivans should have as many as 7 passengers on board to compare with SUVs"??

I mean isnt the comparision flawed?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:18
trivikram wrote:
A question here.

Isnt D looking like "the minivans should have as many as 7 passengers on board to compare with SUVs"??

I mean isnt the comparision flawed?

not at all... with that logic A has this problem as nothing separates the fact that minivans carry 7 passengers from the fact of what is compared with SUVs...

in D, on the other hand, the fact about how many passengers can fit in a minivan is closed by the commas indicating a descriptive clause, which can be eliminated and the sentence will make just the same sense w/out it.

for instance,

u2lovergirl, loving rock 'n' roll, loves Bono, goes to his concerts and reads the articles about the band.

the fact that u2lover who loves rock n roll does not change the meaning of the sentence at all... it is a decriptive clause with the info that is not crucial to the message in the sentence. I agree this isn't the best example as u2lover is not an object like a minivan and we'd be better off using , who ___, but you get the idea...

also that AND in ||sm indicates that there is one more item to come before the sentence ends... this is my argument, which can be found in the OG 11's explanations for one of the questions.

I hope we settle on D... Paul, I saw you around the forum today, can you put in your 2 cents here? Thanks!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:33
Wow what an analysis u2lover girl.

My take here (pls correct me if I am wrong)

In A the meaning that is conveyed to us is

"Minivans have the ability to carry 7 passengers and compared to the SUVs and rest of the stem..."

where as in D

"Minivans carrying 7 passengers compared with SUVs..." still looks fishy.. :?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:39
trivikram wrote:

"Minivans have the ability to carry 7 passengers and compared to the SUVs and rest of the stem..."

where as in D

and what is compared to the SUVs? the ability or the passengers or minivans?

the clause that is set of by commas clearly belongs to mivivans, which are being (yes I see "being" :lol: ) compared to the SUVs.

I am done blahbing here :lol: :lol: :lol: won't give up D even if you point a gun at me 8-)
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 18:43
u2lover wrote:
trivikram wrote:

where as in D

the clause that is set of by commas clearly belongs to mivivans, which are being (yes I see "being" :lol: ) compared to the SUVs.

I am done blahbing here :lol: :lol: :lol: won't give up D even if you point a gun at me 8-)

:-D Well I will surely learn a point if D is correct.

Thanks for all your responses!!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 20:52
u2lover wrote:
trivikram wrote:

where as in D

I'm with you on this u2lover. It has to be D. Like Swagatalakshmi said, there is no need to use two 'and's. The meaning is conveyed most effectively in D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 05:57
Of course D....

In A, the comparison is illogical.....

Minivans carry 7 passangers, compared with...... should be carrying.....
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 06:50
u2lover wrote:
trivikram wrote:

where as in D

Must admit, you sure do have tenacity U2Lovergirl. But I'm betting the farm, inheritance, and my grandchildren's trust fund that (A) stands.

OA Pleeease!!
Director
Director

Re: SC-Minivans [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 08:30
WinIT wrote:

B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

D because after removing 'compared'

Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, cost less,get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

is better than

A

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

[#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 09:15
Amazing question this.. I don't know if I would have gotten this right on the exam.

I chose A as well.. :cry:
  [#permalink] 13 Nov 2006, 09:15