Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (01:00) correct 67% (01:02) wrong based on 214 sessions
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 06:36
IMO D

sbsharma wrote:
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
and isn't required

B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
they isn't required

C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
they isn't required

D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and
they

they isn't required

P.S.: this is just my understanding, my answer might be incorrect with other members on this forum

Gotta hit the 700 score this time... 3rd time lucky !
Give me some kudos... Like you, even I need them badly ;)

Last edited by temp33 on 20 Jul 2010, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [1] , given: 6

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS

A. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, --> the correct way of using and is "...., and...."
B. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less, --> 'they' can refer to 'sport utility vehicles' or 'Minivans'
C. Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they --> awkward
D. Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, --> 'carrying as many as seven passengers' is correctly modifying Minivans and 'cost less' is parallel with 'get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride'E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they --> awkawrd
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:50
I was between A and D.

Went for D ... after looking answer, I was happy;

But when I searched -- seems like OA is A not D

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:59
Check this out..

sc-minivans-68181.html

Can you please check the OA?
There's some confusion b/w A & D.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:00
I have checked the other link .there also OA is D..............I fell for A :(
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 22:57
A Good Question. Didnt see the incorrectly placed "and" and selected A over D.
D is it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 18:19
But I think D means that only the minivans those carry as many as 7 people cost less....etc.... here carrying 7 people is an essential part.... but after reading the question, I thought Carrying 7 peoples is just an additional fact....
So, option D changes the meaning....
Here my question is whether wrong usage of 'and' is considered more erroneous than 'change of meaning'.... by GMAC
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 18:50
Got this one wrong. :( I picked A.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 21:58
somehow even i feel that D changes the meaning.
Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with....
even though 'carrying as many as passengers' is modifying minivans, if we see idiom 'compared with' 'X compared with Y', then the whole context changes.
Hence i feel A is correct.
even though 'and' is used in A , subject is still minivans, which is being compared with sports utility vehicles.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 06:58
A.

D -> If you remove adjectival phrase that starts with carrying, the sentence becomes

Minivans compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,..

Here comma starts even before the list.. wrong choice?

A -> If you remove phrase that starts with compared, the sentence becomes

Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and cost less,...

Here if you think of phrase 'compared with most sport utility vehicles' as an adverbial phrase modifying the sentence then 'and' before the phrase makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 08:21
how can it be D?

Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with ---> this literally means the comparison with the SUVs is taking place at the moment when the minivans are carrying as many as 7 people... imagine a snapshot: a minivan with 7 people... and a SUV next to it and a bystander makes this comment... "carrying" seems to give me that impression.

A seems better to me
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [3] , given: 9

Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
For those of you who picked A you are the winners :wink: (also picked A and was upset when saw that people were claiming that OA is D :roll: )

nicely explained by Ron Purewal (im big fan of him :lol: )

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/min ... t6094.html

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Problem [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 20:11
kt00381n wrote:
For those of you who picked A you are the winners :wink: (also picked A and was upset when saw that people were claiming that OA is D :roll: )

nicely explained by Ron Purewal (im big fan of him :lol: )

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/min ... t6094.html

Thanks mate! This slightly reduces by self doubts.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1738

CAT Tests
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 21:54
Please change OA to A according to the above evidence.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 17

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 13:33
The reason we are tested on sentence correction is to ensure that we are able to express ourselves clearly (in terms of meaning and grammar). This said, I have noticed that some of the hardest questions test us primarily on meaning. Anyways, let's analyze the sentence.

This is the correct answer
In general when an -ing modifier is preceded by a comma it either presents the result or describes the preceding clause. In this case we have a noun preceding the comma, thus the use of -ing results un-necessary.

I ruled out D for this reason.
Hope it helps.

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2014, 08:47
sbsharma wrote:

E. Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

Please change OA to A as per evidence shown by Ron Purewal, the guy from MGMAT

Cheers
J
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 198

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2014, 05:57
Why elements in A are not considered forming a run on sentence.

whereas in other question a-recent-poll-indicates-that-many-people-in-the-united-18679.html
following option is considered run on.
C) they denounce big government, say that government is doing too much and it has become too powerful, while they support at the same time

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared   [#permalink] 27 Apr 2014, 05:57