Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2007, 11:53
What do you think about these schools? I know the rankings but I wanted to know if anyone has any real experience with these schools and would recommend one over the overs. Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 507 [0], given: 19

Re: Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madi [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2007, 16:14
kamilaak wrote:
What do you think about these schools? I know the rankings but I wanted to know if anyone has any real experience with these schools and would recommend one over the overs. Thanks

I guess olin is better than others but it still depends upon the candidate/student.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2007, 07:53
I've done a little bit of research on these schools, and here are some of my findings and thoughts:

Rankings:
- EIU & USNews rank all 3 schools between 25~30ish
- FT has the greatest discrepancy, ranking Carlson the highest @ 27th, Olin @ 43rd, and Wisconsin @ 57th

St. Louis (Olin):
- Situated in very large metropolitan city (perhaps offers the greatest of the three in terms of big-city living & networking?).
- Among the 3, has the highest rate of MBAs who go into Consulting Services (~12-18%) upon graduation.
- Strong for Investment Banking / Corp Fin job offers too -- among banks headquartered in South/Mid-West
- However, these aren't exactly placements by the Career Services center. Looking at the "source of job offers" section in their placement report, a significant no. of graduates found their own positions.
- Anecdoteal evidence suggests that its name has more strength in the Mid/SouthWest (i.e. Regional player & regional recruiting), even though its ranked in top 30 by USNEWS.

Wisconsin:
- Curriculum offers specializations based on students' career choice. In particular the Marketing Research concentration is something I have not seen in other programs.
- Networking opportunities, internship placements, and career guidance are provided based on a student's chosen specialization.
- It's not in a big city
- I see some Fortune 500 companies on their list of recruiters, but the scope of opportunities seems limited in Madison, WI.
- I would imagine that newly-minted MBAs from this school are considering travelling to other MidWest cities to find jobs (Milwaukee, Chicago etc.)

Carlson:
- Haven't done much research on this school except I know it has the lowest placements in Consulting among the three (~6%)
- Seem to have a long list of Fortune 500 recruiters.
- VERY cold, and you may not like being all the way up North.

Agree with the previous poster that it depends what you want.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 199 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2007, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
Not that I'm biased towards Wisconsin or anything but...

Madison was just ranked the #1 college sports town in the country. It's consistently listed as one of the top overall college towns and best places to live. It's absolutely gorgeous (I lived there for 8 years) if you can stand the cold winters. The business school is on the rise and just received a big $85M donation to NOT name the business school for another 20 years!

I think it's an all around good school, but it really depends on what you're after. I'm applying there for their Real Estate estate program, which is #3 in the country. Oh, and Wisconsin is always near the top of the list of schools for number of Fortune 500 CEOs produced. give it a serious look when you're deciding!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 10:40
I have done finance (mostly M&A) for the past 6 years. Recently been doing more Market Research (for about 1.5 years) and I like it. I think it suits me better. So I think I would like to focus more on strategy/marketing post MBA.

I was thinking about Wisconsin but I'm not sure if I'm ready to just focus on Market Research or just Brand Management or something else. I would like some flexibility to "refine" my decision.

Carlson, I like it's focus on healthcare but I'm afraid that I will be limited to the Twin Cities area post MBA.

Washington University, I actually have undergrad from this school, and am possibly thinking going there FT or PT. Any suggestions? My employer would not pay though.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2008, 01:03
I don't think Olin or Carlson have that kind of recognition when it comes to marketing. Olin is strong with the banks in the Southwest, and Carlson I have not heard much of throughout my research. Wisconsin yes, because of the market research curriculum. I believe AC Nielsen recruits on their Madison campus.

Have you considered Indiana (Kelley)? They have very strong marketing & brand management program and has shown strong placements with consumer products companies in the Mid-West. UNC-Chapel Hill & Ohio State are also strong in marketing. Limited Brands is in Columbus, OH and recruits actively on campus.

Then again, if you've done M&A work seems like you have a very strong profile to move into Management Consulting (Banks like former MCs and MCs like former bankers) - and perhaps you could do marketing as a consultant.... in which case check out the usual suspects (top 15) and also UNC, CMU, Emory, Georgetown, Virginia, Georgia Tech, UT-Austin, Notre Dame, and Rice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 07:41
olin is best!
Re: Minnesota vs. Washington Univ. (Olin) vs. Wisconsin-Madison   [#permalink] 15 Jun 2010, 07:41