Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Miss me?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Miss me? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 22:07
Hey everyone! I've been away from here for awhile. Without going into great detail, I've been pretty busy. I wanted to follow up on a post I wrote about a month ago or so. I did the Kaplan teaching audition and it went well, then the interview, which also went well. I'll start teacher training in a few weeks and hope to start teaching my own class by Christmas. How are applications going for everyone? I've decided against applying for sure this year, and not entirely sure what next year looks like for me either.

I'm anxious to hear back as to how apps are going. x2suresh, brokerbevo and others!
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 267
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2008, 22:34
jallenmorris wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been away from here for awhile. Without going into great detail, I've been pretty busy. I wanted to follow up on a post I wrote about a month ago or so. I did the Kaplan teaching audition and it went well, then the interview, which also went well. I'll start teacher training in a few weeks and hope to start teaching my own class by Christmas. How are applications going for everyone? I've decided against applying for sure this year, and not entirely sure what next year looks like for me either.

I'm anxious to hear back as to how apps are going. x2suresh, brokerbevo and others!


Congratulations sir. Good to see you back
_________________

My GMAT debrief

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2007
Posts: 157
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 00:22
Good to see you back..I enjoyed your perspective on career ( esp since I also have a family and want to spend a happy life more than an affluent life)..Would like to read more from you
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 04:45
Thanks for the encouragement. My wife and I have had a lot of discussions about career and family and how to mix the two. I've found it's not always oil & water, but pretty darn close for the demanding professions like law, medicine, and some business careers.

One thing that we discussed and some people on here may be in the same place, is that it seemed like my wife and I were always waiting to "arrive" and get where we wanted to be. But we realized that the feeling of "I have arrived." is not necessarily an actual job, house, car, career, or whatever, but it's your perspective on your own life. It's easy for me to say "I'm not practicing law, and I'm not applying to a top 10 b-school. I'm not where i want to be, so I'm not happy." But I would totally be missing the bigger picture. Our jobs were not really meant to be the end, but more of a means to an end for us to live the life we want. There is nothing wrong with the job being what someone wants, but it's easy for those of us with families to not appreciate what we have and what will truly make us happy because we see those that rocket to the top of our company in a matter of years because they live, eat, breathe their jobs. Great for them, but are they able to find happiness in that? Some do, some don't realize that they aren't truly happy until it's far into their career and those feelings turn into regret and resentment. That's not what I want for myself. I think happiness can be a choice. Sometimes that choice takes consciously disregarding the crap that is thrown our way and looking to the positive things in our lives, but it can be a choice. I need to apprecaite it and enjoy it when I get home from work and my daughter runs to me saying "Daddy's Home! I missed you daddy!" as she gives me a huge bear hug. That's priceless, and I realized that as an i-banker (if those jobs will still exist) I would miss out on that. I'd be able to give my family other things, but my time wouldn't be one of the main things I could give them.

I've got 2 kids, may have more someday, but I'll be successful in my career, sacrifice some dinners with the family for my career, but for the most part, I have chosen to let my career/job be a means to the end, and my "end" is a stable family with a dad that's home more often than he would be if he had a job making twice as much. I choose to be the dad that buys his daughter a Grand Am and teachers her to drive rather than buy her a BMW and pay for driving lessons. I could regret the driving lessons part, but I don't think I'll ever regret choosing to be a big part of my family and not just the monthly infusion of family operation capital.

Will I be somewhat jealous when I see people on here get jobs making $150k a year? Heck yeah! But I also know what I'm walking away from, and what I'm walking towards.

**Steps down off soap box**

Thanks for listening. Feedback is always welcome.

filmcity wrote:
Good to see you back..I enjoyed your perspective on career ( esp since I also have a family and want to spend a happy life more than an affluent life)..Would like to read more from you

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2006
Posts: 1443
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 12

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 05:53
I admire your passion for family. When I have a family, (first need a wife!) then I will definitely appreciate those things too. But I don't think that you should totally give up on your MBA dreams. Just because you don't go into banking or consulting does not mean you cannot make 150K or work normal hours and be home by 7 pm. An MBA is a once and a lifetime experience for learning and self-reflection. It may be surprising but not every job is that cutthroat! I never worked a job more than 40-45 hours a week (I am not an MBA (yet) but there are Top MBAs in my position in other depts). My superiors have been out the door by 6 and I am sure they make at least 150K. I mean you might not make that right out of school, but if you excel at what you do, then it is possible. Maybe I am just an idealist that thinks all situations can work out for the best.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 06:22
I agree, I'm not going to give up on my MBA in general, but it will be different. I'll likely go to OU or Univ. of Colorado (thinking of moving to Denver where my wife has lots of family and we love the moutains and outdoors).

I'm also an attorney so making 6 figures is not something only an MBA can bring me. Another big factor was law school debt + b-school debt. OU is a good program, but it doesn't try to compete with the top schools. They do things on purpose that hurt them in some of the rated categories, such as keeping the class size to about 50 each year. Univ. of Colorado is also a good school. Maybe if I find some way to pay off my current law school loans I will go for a top school, but even if I got a need-based scholarship, the money I'd need for living expenses would still add a significant amount of debt.

terp26 wrote:
I admire your passion for family. When I have a family, (first need a wife!) then I will definitely appreciate those things too. But I don't think that you should totally give up on your MBA dreams. Just because you don't go into banking or consulting does not mean you cannot make 150K or work normal hours and be home by 7 pm. An MBA is a once and a lifetime experience for learning and self-reflection. It may be surprising but not every job is that cutthroat! I never worked a job more than 40-45 hours a week (I am not an MBA (yet) but there are Top MBAs in my position in other depts). My superiors have been out the door by 6 and I am sure they make at least 150K. I mean you might not make that right out of school, but if you excel at what you do, then it is possible. Maybe I am just an idealist that thinks all situations can work out for the best.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 797
Location: Texas
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 06:29
I missed you just a little bit.

I am disappointed that you aren't trying for a top B-school. I know you could have done it, but at the same time I also understand your family concerns. Oh well, it's their loss. :wink:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:03
I missed our debates. In the end, everyone has to take a long, hard look at their personal situation and what they want to get out of life. It's good that you took the time to do that rather than blindly following the "I need to get into an M7" mold. If you can't answer the question "Why do I need to get into an M7?", you're probably about to make a bad investment.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:07
I agree. I did miss our debates. How are apps going for you terp06?

terp06 wrote:
I missed our debates. In the end, everyone has to take a long, hard look at their personal situation and what they want to get out of life. It's good that you took the time to do that rather than blindly following the "I need to get into an M7" mold. If you can't answer the question "Why do I need to get into an M7?", you're probably about to make a bad investment.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 652
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:31
I do admit, I found myself wondering where you'd gone off to.

Sounds like you have a good path ahead of you.

Move to Denver!! I have no connections to it, but really love it.
_________________

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:38
We're talking about it and saving money for it and for me to take the Colorado bar exam. It will be about $1000 for the exam and a few flights out there during the process.

I'm going to try to be on more often, but it certainly won't be to the extent I was before. I think my average daily posts was somewhere between 13 & 14 per day!

highhopes wrote:
I do admit, I found myself wondering where you'd gone off to.

Sounds like you have a good path ahead of you.

Move to Denver!! I have no connections to it, but really love it.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:42
JAllen good to see you back. If you ever apply to b-school I suggest you talk to the members of the Mormon groups at whatever schools you are looking at. It doesn't matter if you aren't mormon they probably can relate the most to you since most of my classmates with multiple kids already are Mormon. I know of a bunch of people with kids and some whose wives dont work at all....some with 2, 3, or even 4 kids. It can work if you really decide you want to do it and they definitely can tell you the pluses and minuses involved.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 07:45
That's a great idea. There are quite a few Mormons here in the OKC area and many are friends of mine, and a former boss of mine is Mormon. Best case scenario, my wife's business starts to take off. She's had some success here lately and found a person that has done a lot of marketing for clothing companies such as hers that wants to work with her to get her going even bigger. I laughed and told her all of her income will go towards our debt and in a few years we can be debt free and do whatever we want. Early 30's isn't too old to go to b-school.

River - I take it you love Kellogg?

riverripper wrote:
JAllen good to see you back. If you ever apply to b-school I suggest you talk to the members of the Mormon groups at whatever schools you are looking at. It doesn't matter if you aren't mormon they probably can relate the most to you since most of my classmates with multiple kids already are Mormon. I know of a bunch of people with kids and some whose wives dont work at all....some with 2, 3, or even 4 kids. It can work if you really decide you want to do it and they definitely can tell you the pluses and minuses involved.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 08:12
jallenmorris wrote:
I agree. I did miss our debates. How are apps going for you terp06?

terp06 wrote:
I missed our debates. In the end, everyone has to take a long, hard look at their personal situation and what they want to get out of life. It's good that you took the time to do that rather than blindly following the "I need to get into an M7" mold. If you can't answer the question "Why do I need to get into an M7?", you're probably about to make a bad investment.


A little bit slower than I expected, but I hope to submit Chicago next week and Tuck in early November. I'm still planning my R2 strategy.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 08:22
jallenmorris wrote:
Early 30's isn't too old to go to b-school.

River - I take it you love Kellogg?


I have a bunch of classmates in their early 30s and up into their late 30s. I would say there as many over 30 as are under 25 at Kellogg. You just will have to choose where you apply and not try for places like HBS that dont really welcome old folks.

School is amazing so far. I was definitely right when I picked Kellogg as my top school. Classes are great and so are all my classmates, the only problem is there aren't enough hours in the day for everything I want to do.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2007
Posts: 759
Location: Oxford
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 8

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 08:24
welcome back jallen.

I must admit, the board went a bit quiet over the last month.

godo to see u have taken the reigns!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 09:47
jallenmorris - howdy? good to see you back.
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78716

CAT Tests
Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 16:15
jallenmorris wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement. My wife and I have had a lot of discussions about career and family and how to mix the two. I've found it's not always oil & water, but pretty darn close for the demanding professions like law, medicine, and some business careers.

One thing that we discussed and some people on here may be in the same place, is that it seemed like my wife and I were always waiting to "arrive" and get where we wanted to be. But we realized that the feeling of "I have arrived." is not necessarily an actual job, house, car, career, or whatever, but it's your perspective on your own life. It's easy for me to say "I'm not practicing law, and I'm not applying to a top 10 b-school. I'm not where i want to be, so I'm not happy." But I would totally be missing the bigger picture. Our jobs were not really meant to be the end, but more of a means to an end for us to live the life we want. There is nothing wrong with the job being what someone wants, but it's easy for those of us with families to not appreciate what we have and what will truly make us happy because we see those that rocket to the top of our company in a matter of years because they live, eat, breathe their jobs. Great for them, but are they able to find happiness in that? Some do, some don't realize that they aren't truly happy until it's far into their career and those feelings turn into regret and resentment. That's not what I want for myself. I think happiness can be a choice. Sometimes that choice takes consciously disregarding the crap that is thrown our way and looking to the positive things in our lives, but it can be a choice. I need to apprecaite it and enjoy it when I get home from work and my daughter runs to me saying "Daddy's Home! I missed you daddy!" as she gives me a huge bear hug. That's priceless, and I realized that as an i-banker (if those jobs will still exist) I would miss out on that. I'd be able to give my family other things, but my time wouldn't be one of the main things I could give them.

I've got 2 kids, may have more someday, but I'll be successful in my career, sacrifice some dinners with the family for my career, but for the most part, I have chosen to let my career/job be a means to the end, and my "end" is a stable family with a dad that's home more often than he would be if he had a job making twice as much. I choose to be the dad that buys his daughter a Grand Am and teachers her to drive rather than buy her a BMW and pay for driving lessons. I could regret the driving lessons part, but I don't think I'll ever regret choosing to be a big part of my family and not just the monthly infusion of family operation capital.

Will I be somewhat jealous when I see people on here get jobs making $150k a year? Heck yeah! But I also know what I'm walking away from, and what I'm walking towards.

**Steps down off soap box**

Thanks for listening. Feedback is always welcome.

filmcity wrote:
Good to see you back..I enjoyed your perspective on career ( esp since I also have a family and want to spend a happy life more than an affluent life)..Would like to read more from you


Your post was really touching. My husband and I don't have kids yet, but we were in that spot where I was deciding.. do I want to go back to school or do I want to have kids. It was a tough decision for me, so I completely understand how family brings an incredible element to career decisions. But it sounds like you came to an understanding with your wife and a comfortable one at that which is what matters the most. Nothing means more than family. Glad to see you back!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 350
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2008, 18:46
Missed your posts on arguments and good non-GMAT posts as well. Betcha, you are making a good choice if thats what your heart says so...Nothing beats that :)
Besides, you can still apply to B-school in your early 30s if you ever decide to change your mind later.... However, I am one of the folks who really wanted to see you apply for '09 with all the effort you have put in your prep and helping others in this community...

The number of replies you get for your post is a good indicator of how many ppl missed your posts :) welcome back jallen.
_________________

To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says:
"Leave no stone unturned."
-Edward Bulwer Lytton

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Status: Um... what do you want to know?
Joined: 03 Jun 2007
Posts: 5464
Location: SF, CA, USA
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Miss me? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2008, 23:29
a late welcome back jallen. been MIA myself for a while too, 3 finals and 2 projects this week.

Don't worry about being over 30. We started a "wisdom club" here at Haas for those of us over 30, and so far 30 people joined already out of 240. :)

If you ever consider the West Coast, let me know.
_________________

****************************
GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Re: Miss me?   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2008, 23:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Missing Subjects highhopes 8 15 Jun 2010, 05:05
This I missed it trivikram 3 14 Feb 2007, 19:13
Missing information on applicatoin gmatnoob 4 10 Jan 2007, 17:09
I missed this one. gk3.14 1 12 Dec 2006, 18:38
PS1000 - sections missing? sujayb 1 10 Nov 2006, 22:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Miss me?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.