Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

miss questions on purpose?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

miss questions on purpose? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 11:53
I recently took an MGMAT practice test where 21/37 questions were 700-800 level, I answered near 100% of <700 level questions correctly, but missed the majority of 700-800 level questions. The result 45Q

a month ago I took an MGMAT cat and recieved 9/37 questions between the 700-800 level, I missed about the same percentage of all level questions because my foundation wasn't as strong at the time. The result 45Q

My questions is, has anyone tried/considered missing some questions on purpose, or some other method to ensure more right answers to easier questions?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: miss questions on purpose? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 12:02
Thought I would post the actual reports as well

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

Re: miss questions on purpose? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
jolt wrote:
I recently took an MGMAT practice test where 21/37 questions were 700-800 level, I answered near 100% of <700 level questions correctly, but missed the majority of 700-800 level questions. The result 45Q

a month ago I took an MGMAT cat and recieved 9/37 questions between the 700-800 level, I missed about the same percentage of all level questions because my foundation wasn't as strong at the time. The result 45Q

My questions is, has anyone tried/considered missing some questions on purpose, or some other method to ensure more right answers to easier questions?

I've only taken the GMAT once, but from what I hear, you always want to get as many 700-800 level questions as you want.

I don't know the exact scoring system (I don't think anyone here does, unless they work for GMAC), but from what I understand, if you get a hard question right, you will receive a greater score increase compared to getting a easy question right. Also, if you get a hard question wrong, your score will not decrease as significantly as getting a easy question wrong.

The bottom line is, I don't think you need to worry about whether you should intentionally get questions wrong. That's just too much to think about. On the real test, its very hard to gauge the difficulty level of a question anyway, so worrying about "which question should I intentionally miss?" would be a waste of time. Just answer every question to the best of your ability & don't worry about anything else.

A Q45 is pretty good (certainly better than what I got), if you can get a similar score on the verbal (say... 41-43), you'll be on your way to a 700+ & a fancy biz school. Good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [2] , given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: miss questions on purpose? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
Generally speaking, this is how the scoring on the real GMAT works.

Easy Questions
-You get fewer points for getting these correct.
-You lose more points for getting these wrong.

Hard Questions
-You get more points for getting these correct.
-You lose fewer points for getting these wrong.

As you can see, it's not a good idea to maximize the number of easy questions you get.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: miss questions on purpose? [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 13:17
thanks for the responses

that actually makes a lot of sense, the more 700-800 level questions you receive the more opportunity you have to get a higher score
Re: miss questions on purpose?   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2009, 13:17