Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Cause and Effectx   Resolve Paradoxx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6618 [78]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [20]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [8]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 743 [4]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Suncorp, a new corporation with limited funds, has been [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Kudos
Its E.
B: Out of scope
AD: opposite
Between B & C, My pick is E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
E is the only choice that talks about the funds, which is important for the company to do this activity.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:
Suncorp, a new corporation with limited funds, has
been clearing large sections of the tropical Amazon
forest for cattle ranching. This practice continues
even though greater profits can be made from rubber
tapping, which does not destroy the forest, than from
cattle ranching, which does destroy the forest.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain
why Suncorp has been pursuing the less profitable of
the two economic activities mentioned above?

(A) The soil of the Amazon forest is very rich in
nutrients that are important in the development
of grazing lands.

(B) Cattle-ranching operations that are located in
tropical climates are more profitable than
cattle-ranching operations that are located in
cold-weather climates.

(C) In certain districts, profits made from cattle
ranching are more heavily taxed than profits
made from any other industry.

(D) Some of the cattle that are raised on land
cleared in the Amazon are killed by wildcats.

(E) The amount of money required to begin a
rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the
amount needed to begin a cattle ranch.

E is the clear winner

A If the soil is good in nutrients , it will support both activities - Neutral
B Cattle ranching operation at different location should not matter - Out of Scope
C it actually contradicts or weakens, why cattle ranching should not be done - weakens
D Out of scope
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Can someone help me with this question, I'm a bit lost. can you help define the premise, and or conclusions, counterpoints, thanks. The goal of the question is asking me to find an assumption that will strengthen why they are seeking a less profitable endeavor correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
selfishmofo wrote:
Can someone help me with this question, I'm a bit lost. can you help define the premise, and or conclusions, counterpoints, thanks. The goal of the question is asking me to find an assumption that will strengthen why they are seeking a less profitable endeavor correct?

Hi selfishmofo

Unlike most of the 'strengthen the argument' questions this is a case where there is no conclusion as such since the author is not trying to make us believe in something. The author instead presents certain information from a neutral standpoint.

It is the question stem which provides a clue - it says that we have to identify a reason which justifies the action of Suncorp. So, what does the question want us to do? It wants us to provide a reason which will help strengthen a position that Suncorp was correct in clearing the large sections of the tropical Amazon forest for cattle ranching.

Therefore, the goal of the question: Strengthen a position that Suncorp was correct in clearing the large sections of the forest for cattle ranching

Counter-premise for this position: greater profits can be made from rubber tapping, which does not destroy the forest, than from cattle ranching, which does destroy the forest

For option statement analysis, you can refer to the posts of thevenus & warrior123 since they have beautifully explained the options.

Hope it helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [4]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
let start, first of all it's not a strengthen question in my opinion, we don't have a conclusion here + the wording in the question indicates that it's a kind of Resolve the Paradox question --> IF TRUE, EXPLAIN. In this type of questions both sides are factually correct and we need to explain how the situation came into being or add a piece of Information showing how the two parts can coexist (see CR Bible). To resolve the paradox we must adress BOTH facts cattle ranching and rubber tapping --> So, we must connect this to parts.

(A) The soil of the Amazon forest is very rich in nutrients that are important in the development
of grazing lands. --> none of the facts has been adressed or connected

(B) Cattle-ranching operations that are located in tropical climates are more profitable than
cattle-ranching operations that are located in cold-weather climates. --> Only one of the facts has been adressed

(C) In certain districts, profits made from cattle ranching are more heavily taxed than profits
made from any other industry. --> This disproves ONLY one fact (it's not an aim here, we must somehow connect the facts, and not just disprove one of them)

(D) Some of the cattle that are raised on land cleared in the Amazon are killed by wildcats. --> Info about ONLY one fact

(E) The amount of money required to begin a rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the
amount needed to begin a cattle ranch. --> So 1) here we have at least both of the facts stated 2) It explains how the situation of investing in less profitable business came onto being. One need x2 Money to start a more profitable rubber-tapping business.

I hope my explanation helps you !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
thevenus wrote:
(A) The soil of the Amazon forest is very rich in
nutrients that are important in the development
of grazing lands.
so it is equally good for rubber plants also-not directly related to the two businesses related above-incorrect

(B) Cattle-ranching operations that are located in
tropical climates are more profitable than
cattle-ranching operations that are located in
cold-weather climates.
climatic conditions are not under consideration-incorrect

(C) In certain districts, profits made from cattle
ranching are more heavily taxed than profits
made from any other industry.
then it is actually opposite to the answer we are looking for !

(D) Some of the cattle that are raised on land
cleared in the Amazon are killed by wildcats.
cattle farming/ranching will avoid such problems - irrelevant

(E) The amount of money required to begin a
rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the
amount needed to begin a cattle ranch.
correct- it will ensure that the business will start with less capital as the company is new and has limited funds.

(E) wins

I don't see how you can say, with regards to Choice A, that the nutrients are good for both types of operations, when it is clearly stated "very rich in
nutrients that are important in the development of grazing lands". I thought that was restrictive.
I've given more attention to comprehend this answer option, but I still did not understand how the correct answer is "E". Anyone please to explain how the correct answer is "E"?
Thanks...
Kudos
There has been given a discussion about a corporation. The corporation carries LIMITED fund.
What is limited fund? IS IT SPECIF? -Nope. It may be $ 50,000, $100,000, $200,000 or, $10,000,000. It actually depends on the company size or some other factors, isn’t it?

Suppose, Limited fund=$200,000
Let (according to correct answer option “E”),
(Dollar) needs to begin Cattle ranching=$100,000
(Dollar) needs to begin rubber-tapping=$200,000 (since rubber-tapping is twice as high as cattle ranching)

From the argument we’ve:

Cattle Ranching:
1. Lower profits
2. Destroy forest

Rubber Tapping:
1. Higher Profits
2. Do not destroy forest
Question Stem says: But, they still cattle ranch though rubber-tapping is BETTER….WHY?
Here is my question/reasoning on something:

GMAC says (since ‘E’ is correct choice):
Since (Dollar) required to begin a rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the(Dollar) required to begin a cattle ranching, they DO cattle ranch AS THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY.
[i]
So what? I can still DO rubber-tapping because the argument and answer option didn’t specifically say that IF THE AMOUNT IS $100,000, THEN IT IS LIMITED FUND, BUT IF IT IS MORE THAN or LESS THAN $100,000, THEN IT WON’T BE THE LIMITED FUND! So, I can choose $200,000 as LIMITED fund.
How can I be sure that the cattle ranching groups pursue LESS profit? They still earn MORE profit, because the limited fund doesn’t mean that it is JUST $50,000, it may be $200,000, too.--right? If I can earn MORE profit by limited fund ($200,000), which is needed to open a rubber-tapping operation, how/why I make LESS profit? I am still earning MORE profit by this LIMITED fund!
GMAC didn’t specifically say that Dollar needs to begin Cattle ranching=$100,000 and $$ needs to begin rubber-tapping=$200,000 (since rubber-tapping is twice as high as cattle ranching) or any SPECIFIC AMOUNT, which indicates that the fund is limited). If the argument DIRECTLY says that LIMITED fund IS $100,000, this CR will still not be okay because we are not informed the cost of cattle ranching or rubber-tapping!

The nitty-gritty: I want to say that I’ve to know the cost of cattle ranching, rubber-tapping, and the limited fund amount simultaneously. The reasoning of the argument along with correct answer option is fallacious, and thus it does not make any sense! I am not saying that GMAC is wrong; I just want to inform that something is missing in this CR. If something is missing in this CR, then GMAC’s thinking is wrong! :)

Analogy:
This question is totally related with decision-making.
Suppose:
I have an apartment, which consists of two rooms (Room# 1 and Room# 2). Here, this is not my job to invest in the room, which is BETTER; my job is to invest in that room, which is BETTER FOR ME as I am a decision-maker right on the moment.

Both rooms have special features. They are:

Room# 2 (equivalent to rubber-tapping):
1. It costs double than Room# 1, if I want to make it for the tenant to stay.
2. RISK factor: Tenants do not destroy anything in my room (tenants do not destroy anything because they are very good guys :)!)
3. It makes higher profit,

Room# 1(equivalent to cattle ranching):
1. It costs half of the Room# 2, if I want to make it for tenant to stay.
2. RISK factor: Sometimes, tenants destroy my television, freeze, AC and some other like this (this tenants are wicked guys :(!)
3. It makes lower profit.

Everyone wants to get high profit by investing on something; I am not regarding of that. The question is trying to give signal that I should choose one in which I can invest whole the money, which is in my pocket, in my bank account, and/or somewhere else (the total amount from these source is limited). To invest in something, at first I have to know the cost/price of that product and the volume of my fund-Is the fund enough or not? Here, I have a LIMITED fund. The fund may be worth $100,000 or $200,000, $600,000. I can’t invest in those ROOMS because I still do not know how much those rooms cost. Let, Room#2 costs $200,000 and Room#1 cost $100,000. Now, I’ll choose one, which is BETTER FOR ME not just better. I have a LIMITED fund. I do not know how much money in this fund. If the fund carries $200,000, then I must invest in Room# 2 to gain MORE profit. If the fund carries $100,000 then I must invest in Room#1 (here, I have to sacrifice higher profit as I do not have more money to invest in Room#2).---isn’t it?
But, I still do not know the volume of the fund and cost of Room# 1 & Room# 2. So, should I take decision to invest in Room# 1 or in Room# 2?----definitely not. So, how does GMAC take decision to invest in Cattle ranching without having enough information?!?

If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.
Thanks.
No response. Did I violate any rules of GMATclub?
Thanks...
Suncorp, a new corporation with limited funds, has been clearing large sections of the tropical Amazon forest for cattle ranching. This practice continues even though greater profits can be made from rubber tapping, which does not destroy the forest, than from cattle ranching, which does destroy the forest.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why Suncorp has been pursuing the less profitable of the two economic activities mentioned above?

(A) The soil of the Amazon forest is very rich in nutrients that are important in the development of grazing lands.

(B) Cattle-ranching operations that are located in tropical climates are more profitable than cattle-ranching operations that are located in cold-weather climates.

(C) In certain districts, profits made from cattle ranching are more heavily taxed than profits made from any other industry.

(D) Some of the cattle that are raised on land cleared in the Amazon are killed by wildcats.

(E) The amount of money required to begin a rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the amount needed to begin a cattle ranch.

There has been given a discussion about a corporation. The corporation carries LIMITED fund.
What is limited fund? IS IT SPECIF? -Nope. It may be $ 50,000, $100,000, $200,000 or, $10,000,000. It actually depends on the company size or some other factors, isn’t it?

(Dollar) needs to begin rubber-tapping=$200,000 (since rubber-tapping is twice as high as cattle ranching)

From the argument we’ve:

Cattle Ranching:
1. Lower profits
2. Destroy forest

Rubber Tapping:
1. Higher Profits
2. Do not destroy forest
Question Stem says: But, they still cattle ranch though rubber-tapping is BETTER….WHY?

Since (Dollar) required to begin a rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the(Dollar) required to begin a cattle ranching, they DO cattle ranch AS THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY.
[i]
So what? I can still DO rubber-tapping because the argument and answer option didn’t specifically say that IF THE AMOUNT IS $100,000, THEN IT IS LIMITED FUND, BUT IF IT IS MORE THAN or LESS THAN $100,000, THEN IT WON’T BE THE LIMITED FUND! So, I can choose $200,000 as LIMITED fund.
How can I be sure that the cattle ranching groups pursue LESS profit? They still earn MORE profit, because the limited fund doesn’t mean that it is JUST $50,000, it may be $200,000, too.--right? If I can earn MORE profit by limited fund ($200,000), which is needed to open a rubber-tapping operation, how/why I make LESS profit? I am still earning MORE profit by this LIMITED fund!
GMAC didn’t specifically say that Dollar needs to begin Cattle ranching=$100,000 and $$ needs to begin rubber-tapping=$200,000 (since rubber-tapping is twice as high as cattle ranching) or any SPECIFIC AMOUNT, which indicates that the fund is limited). If the argument DIRECTLY says that LIMITED fund IS $100,000, this CR will still not be okay because we are not informed the cost of cattle ranching or rubber-tapping!

The nitty-gritty: I want to say that I’ve to know the cost of cattle ranching, rubber-tapping, and the limited fund amount simultaneously. The reasoning of the argument along with correct answer option is fallacious, and thus it does not make any sense! I am not saying that GMAC is wrong; I just want to inform that something is missing in this CR.

Analogy:
Suppose:
I have an apartment, which consists of two rooms (Room# 1 and Room# 2). Here, this is not my job to invest in the room, which is BETTER; my job is to invest in that room, which is BETTER FOR ME as I am a decision-maker right on the moment.

2. RISK factor: Tenants do not destroy anything in my room (tenants do not destroy anything because they are very good guys :)!)

2. RISK factor: Sometimes, tenants destroy my television, freeze, AC and some other like this (this tenants are wicked guys :(!)

Everyone wants to get high profit by investing on something; I am not regarding of that. The question is trying to give signal that I should choose one in which I can invest whole the money, which is in my pocket, in my bank account, and/or somewhere else (the total amount from these source is limited). To invest in something, at first I have to know the cost/price of that product and the volume of my fund-Is the fund enough or not? Here, I have a LIMITED fund. The fund may be worth $100,000 or $200,000, $600,000. I can’t invest in those ROOMS because I still do not know how much those rooms cost. Let, Room#2 costs $200,000 and Room#1 cost $100,000. Now, I’ll choose one, which is BETTER FOR ME not just better. I have a LIMITED fund. I do not know how much money in this fund. If the fund carries $200,000, then I must invest in Room# 2 to gain MORE profit. If the fund carries $100,000 then I must invest in Room#1 (here, I have to sacrifice higher profit as I do not have more money to invest in Room#2).---isn’t it?
But, I still do not know the volume of the fund and cost of Room# 1 & Room# 2. So, should I take decision to invest in Room# 1 or in Room# 2?----definitely not. So, how does GMAC take decision to invest in Cattle ranching without having enough information?!?

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
iMyself wrote:
Suncorp, a new corporation with limited funds, has been clearing large sections of the tropical Amazon forest for cattle ranching. This practice continues even though greater profits can be made from rubber tapping, which does not destroy the forest, than from cattle ranching, which does destroy the forest.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain why Suncorp has been pursuing the less profitable of the two economic activities mentioned above?

(A) The soil of the Amazon forest is very rich in nutrients that are important in the development of grazing lands.

(B) Cattle-ranching operations that are located in tropical climates are more profitable than cattle-ranching operations that are located in cold-weather climates.

(C) In certain districts, profits made from cattle ranching are more heavily taxed than profits made from any other industry.

(D) Some of the cattle that are raised on land cleared in the Amazon are killed by wildcats.

(E) The amount of money required to begin a rubber-tapping operation is twice as high as the amount needed to begin a cattle ranch.
The official answer is “E”.

From the argument we’ve:

Cattle Ranching:
1. Lower profits
2. Destroy forest

Rubber Tapping:
1. Higher Profits
2. Do not destroy forest

[i]

The nitty-gritty: I want to say that I’ve to know the cost of cattle ranching, rubber-tapping, and the limited fund amount simultaneously. The reasoning of the argument along with correct answer option is fallacious, and thus it does not make any sense! I am not saying that GMAC is wrong; I just want to inform that something is missing in this CR.

Analogy:
Suppose:

Thanks.

please remove option E from bold text and you don't have to mention that Official answer is E since spoiler does that already.

May be ur right. I don't deny that possibility but here out of 5 options you need to select an option that seemingly weakens the conclusion.

something good or considerable need not be best always.

since options A, B, C and D are nowhere consirable we end up selecting E as a possibility.
E may help us to weaken. (It may not as well)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I have edited the question and introduced spoiler tags.

General rule to do well on the GMAT: Do not doubt Official GMAT answers. NEVER!

Quoting a very insightful post by Ronmgmat

Quote:
far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; please note that doing so is a complete waste of your time and effort. i.e., exactly 0% of the time that you spend posting "isn't this official answer wrong?" is productive, and exactly 100% of that time is wasted.

"is this correct?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers. the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers. the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"
"what understanding am i lacking that i need to understand this choice?"

this is a small, but hugely significant, change to your way of thinking.
you will suddenly find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you retire the idea that they might be wrong.

souvik101990 wrote:

Quote:
far too many students on this forum make the mistake of questioning the correct answers; please note that doing so is a complete waste of your time and effort. i.e., exactly 0% of the time that you spend posting "isn't this official answer wrong?" is productive, and exactly 100% of that time is wasted.

"is this correct?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers. the answer is always yes.
"is this wrong?" / "is this X type of error?" is never a productive question to ask about one of GMAC's correct answers. the answer is always no.

instead, the questions you should be asking about correct official answers, if you don't understand them, are:
"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"

you will suddenly find it much easier to understand the format, style, and conventions of the official problems if you retire the idea that they might be wrong.

I know it very well because I honor Ron Purewal in every cases of my life. He is legend in GMAT world. I did not say that official answer is wrong; I just want to say that something is missing in this CR. If something is missing in this CR, then Official answer is wrong or it is not perfect answer at all. :) :)

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 16 Oct 2015, 08:18.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 18 Oct 2015, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
iMyself wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Quote:

"why is this correct?"
"how does this work?"

I know it very well because I honor Ron Purewal in every cases of my life. He is legend in GMAT world. I did not say that official answer is wrong; I just want to say that something is missing in this CR. Is something is missing in this CR, then Official answer is wrong or it is not perfect answer at all. :) :)

I believe you are missing a very pertinent point common to ALL GMAT questions (especially Verbal). You have to select the best OUT OF THE GIVEN OPTIONS and not the BEST EVER POSSIBLE!!. So even if an option is not the most perfect, it still is the correct answer if other options are worse. Official answers are never wrong (you also have to understand the context will be the different options provided, nothing more nothing less!).
Engr2012 wrote:
I believe you are missing a very pertinent point common to ALL GMAT questions (especially Verbal). You have to select the best OUT OF THE GIVEN OPTIONS and not the BEST EVER POSSIBLE!!. So even if an option is not the most perfect, it still is the correct answer if other options are worse. Official answers are never wrong (you also have to understand the context will be the different options provided, nothing more nothing less!).

BEST answer out of the given options? What does it mean? It means that WHEN YOU WILL HAVE AT LEAST 2 ANSWERS LOOK CORRECT or MAKE SENSE, then you'll choose or pick the BEST ONE. But, when you'll have all the answers look WRONG, WHY will you choose the WRONG answer as BEST answer? . I believe that GMAC will not inspire us to pick a wrong answer as a BEST answer!
Thanks...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts