Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
jainan24 wrote:
IS that right, that the examples have to be from last two years, does it say in the application

Thanks
Anurag

yes sir....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
nice try, does not say anywhere on the application, that they have to be from last two years

When I first started working 5 years ago, i did a great first project and I am going to talk about it

Thanks for your help
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jainan24 wrote:
nice try, does not say anywhere on the application, that they have to be from last two years

When I first started working 5 years ago, i did a great first project and I am going to talk about it

Thanks for your help

It actually does..haddy is right
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
my bad it does say it, I saw it when I went to application details

damn....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
jainan24 wrote:
my bad it does say it, I saw it when I went to application details

Oops....

it is ok my friend... :-D I am glad that you finally found the instructions.....by the way, i found it really amusing that you thought I am trying to make it up.... :-D

now if you did face an important and a learning experience in your life three years ago , please feel free to talk about it....Rod garcia has specifically mentioned in some of his chats/interviews that Sloan is not going to penalize someone for writing about a significant experience that occured three years ago...however, please do not go beyond three years...MIT is one of the worst schools when it comes to adhering to its guidelines....not to mention that i still went 10% over the word limit for Essay No 1 :oops:

Good luck and please feel to ask any questions that you may have.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MIT essays [#permalink]
I heard that in the essays an applicant should show that he is pretty aware about school specifics.

Can anybody share with me specifics of MIT Sloan School of Management?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: MIT essays [#permalink]
Adil wrote:
I heard that in the essays an applicant should show that he is pretty aware about school specifics.

Can anybody share with me specifics of MIT Sloan School of Management?

https://mitsloan.mit.edu/

:)

Jokes aside, email the alumni club in your city and try and meet up with an alum, you'll get great stuff.

Seriously though, people here could tell you any specifics but they might be completely useless to your application. You need to either ask a specific question, or research until you can ask something intelligent. Asking a blanket question "specifics" isn't going to get you particularly helpful information.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey jainan,

Sloan essays will surely be tough coz they are not the generic why MBA, goals, diversity stuff? besides, only people who have had nice experiences to portray in these essays ought to think of applying to Sloan. I spent the longest time of my apps working on MIT essays only.

For me Tepper, Fisher and Krannert were all similar and nice to work on.. coz they all had standard questions:-)

And I strongly consider you to keep all your essays within 500-510 words.. Sloan surely is tough on word limits..

cheers
sid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Adil,

I am not sure what you mean by specifics of MIT sloan. With my research on Sloan, i guess Operations and entrepreneurship are its forte. lots quant emphasis, true to its parent school i.e MIT..

maybe i can tell you more if you can be specific with your question on "specifics" :)

cheers,
sid
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
mbadart07 wrote:
hey jainan,

Sloan essays will surely be tough coz they are not the generic why MBA, goals, diversity stuff? besides, only people who have had nice experiences to portray in these essays ought to think of applying to Sloan. I spent the longest time of my apps working on MIT essays only.

For me Tepper, Fisher and Krannert were all similar and nice to work on.. coz they all had standard questions:-)

And I strongly consider you to keep all your essays within 500-510 words.. Sloan surely is tough on word limits..

cheers
sid

i specifically asked these two questions to deputy admissions director Jon and all he told me that it's not a rule cast in stone that you can not bend...

my take...it all depends....if your essay is interesting and you must absolutely need to cross the word limit....you can...they do not appreciate it but then they will not throw your app in dustbin just because you have crossed their word limit...plus the application will probably be in pdf format and nobody is going to take a pain to actually count the no. of words in your essay...so as long as the difference is visually marginal (500 becomes 550), you can get away with it...

as for taking past experiences...again...depends...one experience from more than 3 years back can work...more number of experiences from distant past only show that you do not have any recent achievements/experiences...i would say...solid experience from distant past better than mediocre experiece then recent past...that, offcourse, is to be used only for one essay at the most...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
and this is from the horse's mouth (pun intended :lol: )

JonMcLaughlinMIT (Oct 31, 2006 9:53:34 AM)
Hi KLA- the 500 word limit it is not a hard cutoff, just use it as a guide and come close to the mark. Think of it like a meeting where the client has given you 1/2 hour. You don't want to run an hour.

https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... 6_mit.aspx
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]