Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 05:56
x

Last edited by awfulgmat on 28 Oct 2010, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 13:01
Congrats to all who got admits!

Below message is for future International applicants only.

Reason: I am an international applicant and applied to LGO this yr. Even though I have a descent background I didn’t even get an interview call. I might be wrong about my profile but I know a few more internationals who didn’t get interview call even though they had a good profile. So I researched more abt the program and this is my advice to future applicants.

Advice:
LGO program prefers international applicants. Based upon page http://lgo.mit.edu/engineering-mba.html LGO gave admits to only 4% internationals last yr. 4% is a very small and it equates to around 3 admits (in class of 47). My guess is out of those 3 applicants, each applicant will be from different country. Due to diversity factor LGO wouldn’t give all 3 admits to students from a same country. Moreover if there is any female international applicant then she will get some advantage too. So in short International male applicants have almost 0 chance of getting an admit. Especially applicants from countries from which many students apply to LGO.

I also emailed Vicki Mach and asked her to give data of applications received and admits given by country. She forwarded that email to a senior LGO director and they told me that they cannot give such data. I am surprised….because I don’t think it will be any harm to the LGO program. I wanted that data so that future international applicants can be aware of their admission chances.

Anyways, so international applicants, pls reevaluate your decision to apply at MIT. I think that international shouldn’t rely on MIT and should apply to other schools too.

thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 13:26
For all the folks that got denied from the LGO program: Are you ready for the big chill moment next week? What are your plans; reapply, go somewhere else?

Also, I called Vicki about the waistlist that I was place on. I wanted to know how many other folks where on there to judge my chances a little more. If they start accepting folks off the waitlist if >= 6 people decline the offer does that mean > 10% of accepted applicants must turn down the offer?

Also, do you guys think getting waitlisted is a good sign for getting into Sloan? Or do you think the application gets reviewed by different Sloan admissions people?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 18:39
x

Last edited by awfulgmat on 28 Oct 2010, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 04:58
Well, if I was waitlisted from LGO with a "you are a strong candidate." I think I stack up nicely with Sloan admits. The only red herring in my application was my GMAT score (which is still in the 80%) range. What is funny is I have taken a couple of "LGO/Sloan" classes at MIT (mathematically rigorous) and got A's in both. So I am not sure why gmat would be given such a huge weight. I would hate to have to study for that test again and postpone my matriculation another year.

My plan:
0) Will wait for decisions in april
- LGO waitlist decision ( < 10% chance probability )
- Sloan decision ( Unsure of my chances but better than most other dinged LGO's )
- Waitlist means there is a simple discrepancy that I need to fix in my application
1) I will take two more LGO/Sloan classes in the next year if I don't get in, on MIT's dime.
2) I will try and improve my GMAT score 40 - 100 points ( very do-able ) but insanely boring
3) I am working on starting a company with three other MIT students and will continue work on that
4) I will try not to think about the incessantly boring work I am doing now
5) Will try and get my application ready again for next year in terms of essays and letters of rec..
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2010, 04:41
hi folks,
apologies for being a novice here but i got to know of LGO only today. while i am also interested in LGO, ld like to understand how does LGO compare to the Sloan MBA. i know its for manufacturing but does LGO limit/expand your options beyond manufacturing.?
are recruiters open to taking people from LGO for consulting as well.
thx.
Intern
Intern
Abhi: 9

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2011, 18:57
Hi everyone i am new to this forum ... i am very interested in LGO ..
If i have a good GMAT score [around 720] would i stand a chance
to get in with 2 years work experience ?
Re: MIT LGO fellow applicant for LGO program starting in 2010   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2011, 18:57