Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 16:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT SCM program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 07:18
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the SCM program at MIT? Other than the official website, it's pretty hard to find opinions / information on this program online.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 09:24
Thanks, Even I was planning to create a thread for the same.

Piggybacking on 'redpringles' post -

1) How is MIT SCM program in comparison with LGO Program ?
2) As it a 9 month long program, does it hamper the job opportunities through Campus Placements ?

Regards,

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 402 [1] , given: 238

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 16:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dipen01 wrote:
Thanks, Even I was planning to create a thread for the same.

Piggybacking on 'redpringles' post -

1) How is MIT SCM program in comparison with LGO Program ?
2) As it a 9 month long program, does it hamper the job opportunities through Campus Placements ?

Regards,

1. SCM is a 1 year master's in SCM only. Your recruiting will be for SCM roles only (unless you do something really atypical), and you'll likely come in with SCM experience/background and use the degree to enhance your knowledge/expertise in that singular area. The LGO program is a dual degree MBA/MEng in an area of your choice. You have the added value of a summer internship where you can choose to hone your business skills, your engineering knowledge, or some combination thereof. You're not limited to SCM roles specifically, though I'd guess a large number of LGO candidates do choose to go into SCM/Operations since the candidate pool is more or less self-selective. IMO, you would gain from being with a larger group of students across the university which will give you more reach if you were to ever start/join in on an entrepreneurial venture or completely change industries but stay in an SCM/Ops role.

2. As above, I'd say job opportunities through on-campus recruiting will be focused solely on SCM. MIT on-campus recruiting is already heavily focused in finance, engineering, and operations anyways so I doubt you'd have any issue finding a job -- as long as you do come in with the appropriate background necessary for those types of jobs (though MIT being MIT, I doubt they'd accept you if you don't have the background necessary for the jobs they think you're suited for).

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.75
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 19:30
Thanks aerien.

I could use your suggestion with respect to my profile.

1) I have done my Engineering in Information Technology followed by Masters in Operations Management.
2) I was handling family business for 2 years wherein, I was responsible to set up an export oriented manufacturing unit from scratch.
3) Since last 2 years, I have been working in SCM/Project Management profile - a challenging position with a wide scope, in a famous Consumer Durables company.
4) I plan to work in this company for another year after which I will take a call to either pursue MBA or shift to slightly different role in a different company for a year or two.

In future I am looking for roles in SCM/Logistics and more so I am inclined towards International Business.

So my question is - Which of 3 (MLOG, LGO, Regular MBA at Sloan) seem fit for my profile ?

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 402 [1] , given: 238

Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 13 May 2013, 19:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dipen01 wrote:
Thanks aerien.

I could use your suggestion with respect to my profile.

1) I have done my Engineering in Information Technology followed by Masters in Operations Management.
2) I was handling family business for 2 years wherein, I was responsible to set up an export oriented manufacturing unit from scratch.
3) Since last 2 years, I have been working in SCM/Project Management profile - a challenging position with a wide scope, in a famous Consumer Durables company.
4) I plan to work in this company for another year after which I will take a call to either pursue MBA or shift to slightly different role in a different company for a year or two.

In future I am looking for roles in SCM/Logistics and more so I am inclined towards International Business.

So my question is - Which of 3 (MLOG, LGO, Regular MBA at Sloan) seem fit for my profile ?

Considering you already have a master's in Operations Management, I'm not sure how much value an MLOG / MSCM will help you career wise. I have the impression that those degrees will cover basically the same material (though I'm not in the program so I could be wrong).

That being said, I do think an MBA seems more in line with your goals. What you should think about more is defining your goals -- how will an MBA enhance what you already have? You don't want the two years to just repeat what you already know. What other skills, besides SCM, do you feel would help you with your career and can an MBA help you gain those skills?

As far as Sloan's MBA vs LGO, you'll have to consider if you need the additional masters in engineering (and which engineering specialty). That depends on your goals post MBA, though I do think your background would make you a pretty viable candidate (most have engineering/science/math backgrounds).

aerien

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CIPS
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 03:06
Hello Aerien,

I'd really appreciate if you can review my profile and advise about my chances to get into MIT SCM Program. I'm really motivated to join to the program based on the information provided on its website. HOwever, its quite hard to find any references to understand about the future prospects and chances of getting into the program.

GMAT Score:
Q 49, V 31, IR 6 (650)
Demographics:
Indian, 28, Male

Work Experience:
Procurement & Supply Chain Management - 6 years ( 5 years in UAE), Construction, Oil and Gas
Currently working as a Buyer with Abu Dhabi Government Organization. Youngest Employee in the Division. Average work experience of the peers is 10+ years.

Short Term Goal: Pretty happy with Procurement and Supply Chain environment. The main idea is to build up a great professional network and to develop a 180 degree understanding of management priinciples. My aim is to remain in Middle East and to propel my career into new heights.

Academic:
Bachelor of Engineering - Electrical & Electronics, from a state level Indian University - 62.8%, first Class (No GPA System)

Certificates:
CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) - Level 3 and Level 4
CPP (Certified Purchaisng Professional ) - Awarded by APICS
PMP - Expected to complete the second quarter of 2014.

Thanks in advance. BR

Rizz
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 402 [0], given: 238

Re: MIT SCM program [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 19:10
Expert's post
Rizz wrote:
Hello Aerien,

I'd really appreciate if you can review my profile and advise about my chances to get into MIT SCM Program. I'm really motivated to join to the program based on the information provided on its website. HOwever, its quite hard to find any references to understand about the future prospects and chances of getting into the program.

GMAT Score:
Q 49, V 31, IR 6 (650)
Demographics:
Indian, 28, Male

Work Experience:
Procurement & Supply Chain Management - 6 years ( 5 years in UAE), Construction, Oil and Gas
Currently working as a Buyer with Abu Dhabi Government Organization. Youngest Employee in the Division. Average work experience of the peers is 10+ years.

Short Term Goal: Pretty happy with Procurement and Supply Chain environment. The main idea is to build up a great professional network and to develop a 180 degree understanding of management priinciples. My aim is to remain in Middle East and to propel my career into new heights.

Academic:
Bachelor of Engineering - Electrical & Electronics, from a state level Indian University - 62.8%, first Class (No GPA System)

Certificates:
CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply) - Level 3 and Level 4
CPP (Certified Purchaisng Professional ) - Awarded by APICS
PMP - Expected to complete the second quarter of 2014.

Thanks in advance. BR

Rizz

Hey rizz,

I'm not up to date on the SCM program anymore but you seem to have the appropriate background for it. If you do plan to get a holistic view of management principles from the degree though, I would suggest looking into MBA programs with an emphasis on SCM (MIT LGO, Kellogg MMM, and Ross Tauber are all great programs for this). My (dated) understanding of the SCM program is that it's specifically geared towards people wanting an SCM specific role, but you should look into what adcom has to say at MIT and assess your options from there. Good luck!

aerien

Re: MIT SCM program   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 19:10