Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Sloan 2007 - Join in!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2006
Posts: 32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Congratulations [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2007, 21:47
Congratulations TexasGuy !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2007, 21:47
Got waitlisted. I wouldn't consider it anyway given my Wharton admit, but that WL is sore.

TexasGuy

Congrats for your great achievement!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2007, 23:46
deowl wrote:
Got waitlisted. I wouldn't consider it anyway given my Wharton admit, but that WL is sore.

TexasGuy

Congrats for your great achievement!


Whats ur profile deowl?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 445
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 01:37
sm176811 wrote:
deowl wrote:
Got waitlisted. I wouldn't consider it anyway given my Wharton admit, but that WL is sore.

TexasGuy

Congrats for your great achievement!


Whats ur profile deowl?


M/Israel/IT-7yr(4yr-manager)/750/~2.9(73/100)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Posts: 44
Location: Boston, MA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 03:15
I am also IN!!!

My profile: 750/3.98/2 yrs. w.exp

Good luck to everyone in R2
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 1741
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 04:37
nadia0410 wrote:
I am also IN!!!

My profile: 750/3.98/2 yrs. w.exp

Good luck to everyone in R2



Congrats.....
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 06:49
TexasGuy wrote:
I'm IN at MIT!

Will post my profile soon.

Congrats buddy.

Time to celebrate and quit working.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 2922
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 06:50
nadia0410 wrote:
I am also IN!!!

My profile: 750/3.98/2 yrs. w.exp

Good luck to everyone in R2

Wow thats god news.

Party Hard.
_________________

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 11:14
DINGED!.

That's 4 out of 4. (HAAS, MIT, Stanford, Kellogg).

So dreams for this year are shattered. I'll have to improve on my 730 specially Verbal score. Have a year to prepare.

I wonder where I can get applications of those who are admitted, (not to plagiarize!!) but to learn what quality and standard is required, otherwise I won't learn. Any ideas anyone? or Volunteers?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 245
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 11:24
Sorry Hindustan, but GMAT score may not be the only factor, 730 is a great score. Try to get some feedback from any of the schools you applied

I have heard that MIT dinged all Indians from India but did take very few which have been in US for some time

I am a R2 applicant with predominantly high tech background (no not the IT type but PhD)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 11:30
hindustan: why dont you try final round? it is there for some reason! go for harvard, wharton, columbia, chicago and other ultra elites and elites. I know i will...... (at least they will have to review my application, maybe one will like it!)!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Hmmm [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 12:27
antapple wrote:
hindustan: why dont you try final round? it is there for some reason! go for harvard, wharton, columbia, chicago and other ultra elites and elites. I know i will...... (at least they will have to review my application, maybe one will like it!)!


Check first which schools are re-applicant friendly. Otherwise, you will be killing chances for next year.

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 12:36
jainan,
I am based in US and got all my degrees from here and have been working for 7 yrs, working in a hi-tech and having my own business here.

question: Since everyone of us knows they take fewer indians even though they may have high scores and such, this is nothing but racial bias. What happened to their claim of being free and fair for all. US is one place it seems where academic merit alone isn't worth as much as other places. Let's leave aside that, but the bias against indians means (one personal example, my friend at work, Nigerian got into Kellogg with 630) means that racisism is very much prevalent here when it comes to selection of candidates for MBA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 12:38
antapple,
I will try the others, as you advise.

The interesting is that i consulted two leading MBA prep companies such as mbaexchange.com to name one, and they could not think to further change my essays as they thought it was exemplary. I ofcourse did minor tweaking.

The only only thing i did not do and went against theier advise was that i did not travel to the schools and sit in class sessions. I dont know how much that makes a difference.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The importance of visiting. [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 12:44
Hindustan wrote:
antapple,
I will try the others, as you advise.

The interesting is that i consulted two leading MBA prep companies such as mbaexchange.com to name one, and they could not think to further change my essays as they thought it was exemplary. I ofcourse did minor tweaking.

The only only thing i did not do and went against theier advise was that i did not travel to the schools and sit in class sessions. I dont know how much that makes a difference.


For MIT, visiting can make or break your fate. I know 5 other people from my country with similar profiles to my own who visited MIT and all of them got interviews. I did not, and was dinged without interview. MIT places a lot of emphasis on visiting. (Maybe the problem was something else, but I have shared the experience with others and all agree the visit issue was the main difference).

For other schools, I've heard that if you live in the US and not visit a particular school, you are somehow undermining your "commitment" to the school.

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 117
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 13:03
That's a good point.

So let's say you visit the school, and you learn about it. You can only write it somewhere in your essays. The same can also be written by someone who does not visit. So the question is how does the school know you visited? Is there a formal process whereby you once you visit you tell the adcom that you visited or somehow they track that you visited (rather than just relying on what ppl write on their applications?

Thanks!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 13:10
Hindustan wrote:
That's a good point.

So let's say you visit the school, and you learn about it. You can only write it somewhere in your essays. The same can also be written by someone who does not visit. So the question is how does the school know you visited? Is there a formal process whereby you once you visit you tell the adcom that you visited or somehow they track that you visited (rather than just relying on what ppl write on their applications?

Thanks!

There was a portion in the MIT App. where you could indicate whether you had visited and the type of visit (self-guide, official, etc.). They can also match your name with the visitor's log. Since MIT adcoms travel around the world to interview, they demand applicants invest the same energy in visiting them.

For any other school, you can either mention your specific visit on X/Y date or whatever. And they can always cross-check with the visit log (you register for visits and I assume they would be keeping track of such databases).

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 245
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 13:33
Wow you guys are scaring me, I am R2 applicant and can still visit school potentially, doe sit make sense to do it now, earliest would be probably 02/12/07
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Posts: 1408
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 13:47
Whats the definition of self led?

I was in Boston, and I did visit MIT with a friend who is doing his Phd in engineering. However I did not meet any adcom staff or attend any admission event. Does that qualify as Self led?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 230
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The importance of visiting. [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 14:39
lepium wrote:
For MIT, visiting can make or break your fate. I know 5 other people from my country with similar profiles to my own who visited MIT and all of them got interviews. I did not, and was dinged without interview. MIT places a lot of emphasis on visiting. (Maybe the problem was something else, but I have shared the experience with others and all agree the visit issue was the main difference).

For other schools, I've heard that if you live in the US and not visit a particular school, you are somehow undermining your "commitment" to the school.

Cheers. L.


If it is of any help...i applied in R1, indian IT male pool, currently in US...okay profile...760 GMAT/3.0 GPA/7 yrs work ex - 3 in US, sometime in UK/29 age/ good essays ( i guess)...visted the campus...opted to interview at NYC or Boston (was ready to go on campus to interview)....no luck...no interview -> Ding
Re: The importance of visiting.   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2007, 14:39
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 MIT (Sloan) Av 9 10 Oct 2010, 16:25
HBS and MIT Sloan recs kinyua 2 01 Oct 2005, 19:05
Experts publish their posts in the topic MIT / Sloan with 720 richardj 4 17 Sep 2005, 04:57
MIT (Sloan) Hjort 18 23 Jan 2005, 14:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

MIT Sloan 2007 - Join in!!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7    Next  [ 140 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.