Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 19:33
Hi All,
I am trying to make a decision between which b-school is better chicago booth or MIT Sloan?
I am interested in a career in consulting and I know both these schools will offer plenty of opportunities in that regards.
However, I am not planning to live in the states for the rest of my life and may look at moving to Asia/India/Australasia.
In addition, I am not in the United States as well so I do not have a perspective on how they compare against each other in terms of brand etc
I do not have a preference between Chicago or Boston, or even curriculum and teaching styles. So am hoping to get a bit of feedback on stuff including brand reputation that might help me make my decision
Thanks Heaps
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GRE: 800 Q; Verbal: 710 (98%)
Schools: R2: Yale (Admitted!), Wharton (Admitted with $$$$), MIT (waiting to hear back!) R3: Harvard? Perhaps
Followers: 3

Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 05:15
Congrats on getting into both schools.

From a reputation standpoint, MIT (as a University) is a much better recognized brand than Chicago. It is what it is.

Even if Chicago Booth has a higher ranked MBA program, for me the school's overall reputation matters more, especially abroad!

This is one of the reasons I am considering choosing Yale over Wharton this fall - Wharton has a far better program, but Yale is a much better brand overall.

Good luck with your decision, but if left to me personally, I'd choose MIT.

P.S: I'm waiting to hear back from MIT tomorrow, too, and I'd choose MIT over Yale because of my specific field (Operations)!
Intern
Intern

Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 02:31
Hi orange code, good luck for your results tomorrow. You do have a point that MIT is better recognised especially when overseas. I guess the question really is does MIT's business school has an equally stellar reputation as it's engineering and science schools? (don't get me wrong, I know MIT has a great reputation but just confirming the business school brand is as strong)

orangecode wrote:

From a reputation standpoint, MIT (as a University) is a much better recognized brand than Chicago. It is what it is.

Even if Chicago Booth has a higher ranked MBA program, for me the school's overall reputation matters more, especially abroad!

This is one of the reasons I am considering choosing Yale over Wharton this fall - Wharton has a far better program, but Yale is a much better brand overall.

P.S: I'm waiting to hear back from MIT tomorrow, too, and I'd choose MIT over Yale because of my specific field (Operations)!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 06:09
esmeralda wrote:
Hi orange code, good luck for your results tomorrow. You do have a point that MIT is better recognised especially when overseas. I guess the question really is does MIT's business school has an equally stellar reputation as it's engineering and science schools? (don't get me wrong, I know MIT has a great reputation but just confirming the business school brand is as strong)

orangecode wrote:

The question of MBA "brand equity" is an old one. It really depends on what you want to do. If you expect to source your job through the school, on-campus recruiting or through alums, brand doesn't matter as much. If you plan on cold-calling people or recruiting with people or in an industry that does not have a tradition of being formed by or hiring MBAs, then the "blind" brand (that of parent universities) matters more.

I personally chose Booth over MIT, but that is a strictly personal decision. The people who will be more impressed that you went to MIT than Chicago are the same people (from my experience) who will also ask you if you applied to Princeton. People who have MBAs, have gone through the whole admissions and research process, know the differences (or lack thereof) between the programs.

I would strongly suggest you pick the school according to your goals. You want consulting--the same set of companies will recruit at both schools and they will not pick between two students on the basis of the school they went to. As far as I know, even if you want to go back and work at a regional international office for, say, McKinsey, Bain or BCG, the hiring will be done primarily at the campus. Brand should not be a deciding factor here. Having lived in both Boston and Chicago, I would go further and say even the geography shouldn't be a big factor for you.

Talk to alums and focus on the program differences.
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 07:50
I have some of my friends in both these schools. From what i heard from them, Chicago is a great school for Consulting & Finance and Sloan is a big brand for Operations and Entreprenurship (not that Finance and Consulting are not popular).

I think you would be able to choose better if you look at the pragram style as it matters a lot as a student. You should also be sure what you want to do in Consulting as every consulting unit in Big 4 hires from different schools.

I have this list from somewhere and attaching it for reference.
Attachment:
File comment: Consulting Recruitment stats as of 2009
Consulting Stata.JPG
Consulting Stata.JPG [ 59.14 KiB | Viewed 8227 times ]

Fall 2012 Applicant

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 09:28
Have you been accepted to both programs or are you looking to apply? Internationally, MIT has the stronger brand and Sloan's MBA program is exceptional. In the US, I'd give the nod to Booth but the caliber of the programs are very close. If I were in your shoes (if you've been accepted), then I'd take MIT. If you haven't applied yet, apply to both and hope you get to make that call!

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Re: MIT Sloan vs. Chicago Booth -Help Needed   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2011, 09:28