Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 01:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mixed Emotions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Mixed Emotions [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 17:44
Last week, I just wasn't ready to take a sample test. Too many questions and no real answers. Am I ready? Is this preparation enough to test myself? What if I score well below the magical 700? Will I have to reschedule my app plans to fall 2008 instead of spring 2008?

This week was no different. But I somehow mustered the courage to give it a shot with only a few hours left to what would be the demise of yet another unproductive weekend. I really didnt want to see a score hovering around 610-620.

While I was driving to the office(I needed a PC to write PP), I kept telling myself not to worry too much if my quants score isnt too good. As long as my verbal touches 40+, my mission is accomplished. I could always improve my quants score in a few days of practice.

Finished my test, Score was 700. But the split was disheartening to say the least. (50 Q,34 V). 2 wrong in quants. more than a handful in verbal.

I was expecting to struggle only in RC and CR because I have read so much grammar in the last few days. I thought SC, which by definition means sticking to some good old formulae, would be a breeze.

But I got most of my SC wrong and that wasnt because I saw more than 1 choice to be right but because all 5 choices looked wrong. Almost every time :( A bigggg thanks to this sudden overwhelming infusion of grammar rules in my cerebral system.

Though I read one well-compiled notes after another, one standard prep book after another, I hardly practiced any of the exercises. That is the only excuse I can think of immediately to stop feeling dejected.

So,

OG... Here I come.
1000 SC... Here I come.
Verbal Discussion Forums... Here I come.

That's more coming than I can handle for now ;)

But seriously if you can think of any other resources, feel free to post them here. It would be of great help!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2007, 18:08
I feel you on the SC part. The more I learned about grammar, the longer I took on SC questions and with not much improvement on practice tests. I think you have to give it time to "digest" in your brain before you see improvements in SC.

I would do the OG SC problems (and CR/RC if you like) using the Manhattan SC book (and CR/RC). But it's good to hear you're going to work hard on it now, for I am sure you'll do great with all the practice!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2007, 09:12
I can completely relate as well. I spent so much time this wknd with SC. And now i'm finding that, the more i keep looking at the rules in depth, the longer I take now on the SC questions and the more I overthink every question...Very Strange! Any suggestions from anyone? May be I just need to back off of SC for a few days? Also, are the GMATTER SC questions very much like the real test? or are they harder or easier than the real thing?

CD.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2007, 00:28
ColumbiaDream wrote:
I can completely relate as well. I spent so much time this wknd with SC. And now i'm finding that, the more i keep looking at the rules in depth, the longer I take now on the SC questions and the more I overthink every question...Very Strange! Any suggestions from anyone? May be I just need to back off of SC for a few days? Also, are the GMATTER SC questions very much like the real test? or are they harder or easier than the real thing?

CD.

yeah me too..

Mine is a relatively diff proposition though.. i flop too much on computer... on paper i am just so smooth ...i dont know...my work involves typing on computer (code) entire day.... so this is like a shock. I was just going through a post of this guy who has given his exam three times ( GMAT/hd54321.."Terrible scores...consistent studying...ugh!".) and says he is quite good at verbal but has not delivered. Every Single time. And this is something which sounds erringly familiar... i feel i am better in verbal than quant...I keep on falling short on verbal every time...With few days left i am unable to find that peak...SC is def. the culprit....my friend who gave his GMAT this last Friday told me that SC is the one which would define your score on verbal.......:?

One hope though.... i usually find my peak on the actual exam day..so fingers crossed!! :P

FP
Re: SC   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2007, 00:28