Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 19:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today’s commercial aircraft, are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing, its dials dimming, when a passenger turned on a laptop computer. Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers.The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a principle that the argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from the first.
(B) The first is a fact that argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that must be drawn from this argument.
C) The first acknowledges a consideration that supports that main position; the second is that conclusion.
(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion, the second is that conclusion.
(E) The first is a principle that is necessary for this argument, the second is a conclusion that could be drawn from this argument

Explain!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 20:10
This is the kind of questions that I'd be confused. Could somebody explain a little bit about what the following terms mean: Argument, principle, position, consideration, and conclusion, and what are the relationships among them? I would greatly appreciated!
SVP
SVP

Re: CR Modern navigation - BF [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 20:15
My attempt:

Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today’s commercial aircraft, are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. (Position)
During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. (Fact)
Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing, its dials dimming, when a passenger turned on a laptop computer. (Evidence)
Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers. (Conclusion)

On basis of this, I would say that (B) is correct.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 20:29
Hong Did you notice the must in choice B?

The first is a fact that argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that must be drawn from this argument.

Do you still want to stick with B?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 20:55
E.

I think the must in B is too emphatic. In A the conclusion is drawn from the first is a bit off a stretch.

E conveys the sense of plausibility based on the facts given in the argument.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2005, 23:50
Well, choose bt B and E, I'd still choose B, since the first sentence can't be a principle?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 07:16
You have a point, perhaps the first is not a principle, but I dont like B. D is a better choice than B imo.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2005, 07:45
I like "E".....first is not a fact or a number it is a fundamental priniciple that can't be argued. That leaves us with A and E. However, 2nd statement can't be drawn from first, hence A is out.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Modern navigation - BF [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 05:51
nocilis wrote:
Modern navigation systems, which are found in most of today’s commercial aircraft, are made with low-power circuitry, which is more susceptible to interference than the vacuum-tube circuitry found in older planes. During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. Recently, one plane with low-power circuitry veered off course during landing, its dials dimming, when a passenger turned on a laptop computer. Clearly, modern aircraft navigation systems are being put at risk by the electronic devices that passengers carry on board, such as cassette players and laptop computers.The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a principle that the argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that can be drawn from the first.
(B) The first is a fact that argument relies on and the second is a conclusion that must be drawn from this argument.
C) The first acknowledges a consideration that supports that main position; the second is that conclusion.
(D) The first is an evidence that supports the conclusion, the second is that conclusion.
(E) The first is a principle that is necessary for this argument, the second is a conclusion that could be drawn from this argument

Explain!

B/W B and E. I go with B

in E, why the first sentence is necessary? I don't think so.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 06:01
On a second thought.

I go with E.

It seems very risky that passengers' electronic device will interfere with the communication between the plane and the airport during the landing.

So, first boldface is necessary.

B, the word must of the second boldface is a little confusing.

Quote Paul's article

Principle: something fundamental that we do not question. This would be somewhat stronger than a fact because it is not specific to a limited number of cases but instead, apply to a broader range of scenarios(and often deeper in meaning). For instance, you will not talk about the principle that crime is increasing in large cities. Instead, it is a fact which applies to large cities. However, you will talk about the principles of Physics or the fundamental principles of Human Rights. I believe principles convey a stronger connotation than mere facts.

Fact: something taken as true at face value (stats, historical events)

OA?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 06:19
(B)
I just finished reading PAUL's explanation of principle, facts, inference, assumption etc. And according to that thread, a principle is stronger than a fact so in this case, the fisrt part in boldface [b]"During landing, navigation systems receive radio signals from the airport to guide the plane to the runway. "[/b is more of a fact than a principle because i don't think it applies everywhere. It only applies in this scenario. Someone correct me if i am wrong
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 13:21
I don't have the OA with me for this one. In one of the other threads the OA for this is mentioned as B) http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ght=#28240
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2005, 18:33
I elect B. The first statement is an (alleged) factual assertion. Must is a bit strong but I still prefer this answer to E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2005, 15:36
the OA is C

I initial pick was E, guess E and B both are too strong to be the right answre.

Can someone explain what is "consideration", what's the difference between "consideration" and "premise"?
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2005, 15:36