Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modern producers [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 09:45
daagh wrote:
Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face increasingly difficult choices of owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration and buying from independent manufacturers

A. Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face increasingly difficult choices of owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration and buying from independent manufacturers

B. Modern producers, who need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face an increasingly difficult choice between owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration, and buying from independent manufacturers

C. Modern producers, who need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face an increasingly difficult choice to either own the producers of these items, and to buy from independent manufacturers, a practice known as backward integration

D. Needing reliable sources of original equipment supplies, and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, modern producers facing an increasingly difficult choice of owning the producers of these items, and buying from independent manufacturers, a practice known as backward integration

E. Modern producers practice what is known as backward integration, when they need reliable sources of original equipment supplies and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, and to face an increasing and difficult choice of owning between the producers of these items and buying from independent manufacturers

PS: Sourced from my personal collections; The OA and OE are all mine. This is a GMAT Club exclusive; You will not find it elsewhere.

Tough one
Took me 2:25 mins
Answer should be B

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modern producers [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 12:31
kinda of difficult - i choose B for BABY! yeaH
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 32

Re: Modern producers [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 18:17
D & E are wordy & poorly constructed

A uses when incorrectly

C uses Either ..or incorrectly. (or is missing altogether)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Modern producers [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2011, 06:01
daagh wrote:
Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face increasingly difficult choices of owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration and buying from independent manufacturers

A. Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face increasingly difficult choices of owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration and buying from independent manufacturers

B. Modern producers, who need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face an increasingly difficult choice between owning the producers of these items, a practice known as backward integration, and buying from independent manufacturers

C. Modern producers, who need reliable sources of original equipments and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, face an increasingly difficult choice to either own the producers of these items, and to buy from independent manufacturers, a practice known as backward integration

D. Needing reliable sources of original equipment supplies, and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, modern producers facing an increasingly difficult choice of owning the producers of these items, and buying from independent manufacturers, a practice known as backward integration

E. Modern producers practice what is known as backward integration, when they need reliable sources of original equipment supplies and technologically advanced components to operate profitably, and to face an increasing and difficult choice of owning between the producers of these items and buying from independent manufacturers

PS: Sourced from my personal collections; The OA and OE are all mine. This is a GMAT Club exclusive; You will not find it elsewhere.

Very long SC question. Going with B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 19:26
+1 B but took over minute to eliminate all choices
Good Question !!!

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 7

Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 21:59
+1 for B ,
No other option is even close to being correct !!!

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 26

Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2012, 23:16

miss comma btw modifier "a practice known...integration" and part of parallelism "and buying from". Also when should modify a time or adverbial modifier, but modern producers is not an adverbial modifier such as "by Monday"

who correctly modify subject "modern producers"; idiom between x, and y is correct, note here the modifier is too long that a comma to break the two parallel items is necessary; also parallel structure is perfect "owning X-ing, modifier, and Y-ing"

wrong idiom and structure either X or Y not either X and Y. Also wrong to have "either own, and TO buy"

This is plain wordy and awkward.....

too many things wrong: i.e. not parallel "Sub practice......, and TO FACE.."; second and structure also wrong
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 20:23
daagh wrote:

i pick B. the sentence describes 2 choices i.e. owing the producers of these items and buying from independent manufacturers. the intended meaning is that modern producers face difficulties to choose one of them. So it is better to use "between X and Y" idiom. so B wins. correct me if my thought process is wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 13:28
Expert's post
Eliminated A and E because of the usage of when.
Eliminated D because of awkward construction.
Eliminated C because of incorrect idiom usage of either..and. It should be either or.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: Modern producers, when they need reliable sources of   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2012, 13:28