Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Monroe's appetite [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 23:35
We have to support the conclusion that Tip-Top's hot peppers make Monroe ill.
I guess there is some confusion between 'B' and 'C'.
I choose 'C' because:

(B) If, at his third meal at Tip-Top, Monroe had chosen to eat the baked chicken with hot peppers, he would have become ill after that meal.
Now, Monroe has never eaten baked chicken here before (at least not in these 3 meals), so we cannot say what caused the illness, whether it is the chicken (or any other food item eaten here), or the hot pepper.
But, in 'C'

(C) If the next time Monroe eats one of Tip-Top’s extra-large sausage pizzas he does not have a side order of hot peppers, he will not become ill after his meal.
Now, he has already had extra-large sausage pizza in his first meal (along with hot peppers), after which he became ill. 'C' says that this time if he has this pizza again, without hot pepper, he will not become ill. This statement clearly supports that nothing else, but hot pepper cause the illness.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Monroe's appetite [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 01:25
good question!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 11:46
For the record, this is an official LSAT question. Below is a response I posted in another forum that I hope helps clarify some issues.
--------
I just want to add to this discussion the importance of understanding the differences between causality and conditional statements.

The conclusion, "Monroe concludes that it is solely due to Tip Top's hot peppers that he became ill" should not be confused as a conditional statement (solely being the same thing as only). Monroe is stating that it is a causal relationship and the question stem says we have to assume this is true. (you will diagram this causality as hot peppers --> illness) Therefore, to correctly answer a "must be true" question, we have to find an answer that shows this causality. Here are few factors that you have to keep in mind about causality in order to successfully show this relationship (this is explained in detail in powerscore's LR bible on page 200. I am reiterating their statements)

1) Temporal relationship: causal statements imply that one must happen first and the effect happens afterwards. conditional statements do not imply such a thing (another reason to not think like this is a conditional statement!)

2) Connection between events is different: a causal statement implies that the events are related, ie hot peppers made Monroe sick. X caused Y. X made Y happen. However, this is not necessarily the case for a conditional statement. The book provides the example, "Before the war can end, I must eat this ice cream cone." It is not the case that the war ending caused me to eat this ice cream cone, just that it has to occur.

In conclusion, although we see the flaw in Monroe's reasoning in saying that the hot peppers caused him to be sick and not an alternate cause, we have to assume his causal reasoning as true. Therefore, we need to find answers that reflect a causal relationship and NOT a conditional relationship.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 13:21
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly enjoyed the three meals he ate at the Tip-Top Restaurant, but, unfortunately, after each meal he became ill. The first time he ate an extra-large sausage pizza with a side order of hot pepper; the second time he took full advantage of the all-you-can-eat fried shrimp and hot peppers special; and the third time he had two of Tip-Top’s giant meatball sandwiches with hot peppers. Since the only food all three meals had in common was the hot peppers. Monroe concludes that it is solely due to Tip-Top’s hot peppers that he became ill.

If both Monroe’s conclusion and the evidence on which he bases it are correct, they would provide the strongest support for which one of the following? :?:

(A) Monroe can eat any of Tip-Top’s daily all-you-can-eat specials without becoming ill as long as the special does not include the hot peppers.
(B) If, at his third meal at Tip-Top, Monroe had chosen to eat the baked chicken with hot peppers, he would have become ill after that meal.
(C) If the next time Monroe eats one of Tip-Top’s extra-large sausage pizzas he does not have a side order of hot peppers, he will not become ill after his meal.
(D) Before eating Tip-Top’s fried shrimp with hot peppers special, Monroe had eaten fried shrimp without suffering any ill effects.
(E) The only place Monroe has eaten hot peppers has been at Tip-Top.

hello
my analysis is as followed
monroe conclusion it is solely due to Tip-Top’s hot peppers that he became ill
evidences 3 meals at the tips tops different foods only thing in common hot peper
after each meal he got sick

A strong support it show that the hot pepper is the critical factor
b slight support show that no matter the meal if it contains hotpepper he get sick
if P then Q
c NO p NOT Q and this is not valid
this is an hypothesis
d does not show anything neutral sowhat type as it does not state the presence of hot pepper
e weaken the conclusion

b is better because it shows a clear cause and effect relationship between having hotpepper and getting sick
while a give the ideas that that there can be something wrong with Tip-Top’s daily all-you-can-eat specials

hope this help

best regards
Re: Monroe, despite his generally poor appetite, thoroughly   [#permalink] 04 May 2012, 13:21