Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 10

More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 01:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:13) correct 38% (00:55) wrong based on 703 sessions
More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.

(A) to greater economic development and investing
(B) to greater development economically and investing
(C) of greater economic development and invest
(D) of greater development economically and invest
(E) for greater economic development and the investment of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Could someone explain me the OA ?
Is greater a verb? I'm quite surprise by the structure of this sentence...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 07 Sep 2013, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
OA Format
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 01:51
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.

The key here is parallelism. Cities are "stressing" and "investing". So eliminate C, D and E.
"Greater economic development" is better than "greater development economically". Greater is an adjective here. Eliminate B.

Answer is A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 10

Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 02:07
Hi yangsta8,

I noticed the parallelism but I think I don't know the idiom "as a means..."

When should I use "as a means to" and when should I use "as a means of" ?
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [3] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
I think "a means to" in this case is similar to "a way to", so the correct answer is saying that cities are stressing the arts as a way to achieve greater economic development.

I believe that saying "a means of" is like saying "a way of". For example, while you wouldn't write "cars are a way of transport" you can say "cars are a means of transport".

I am sure there is a better explanation for this, I quickly googled it and couldn't find one, can anyone else offer a better explanation?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 6

Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 06:20

(A) to greater economic development and investing - stressing and investing are parallel, also means to greater economic development is correct
(C) of greater economic development and invest - stressing and invest is not parallel
(D) of greater development economically and invest - stressing and invest is not parallel
(E) for greater economic development and the investment of - stressing and invest is not parallel
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 01:48
(A)

Raptor

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 17:24
A parallelism.
tense present to present continuous
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 14:55
Chose C but A makes sense for parallelism.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 03:42
I will go with A, can anyone please enlighten me on the use of "means of " and "means to"?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 16

Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 04:03
A.
More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means to greater economic development and investing millions of dollars in cultural activities, despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.To greater development economically in B is awkward.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2011, 05:12
i th
ought means of is an idiom not means to
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 12:37
zuberahmed wrote:
I will go with A, can anyone please enlighten me on the use of "means of " and "means to"?

I am not an expert, but "means of" is hardly used.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC 510 / 1000 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 08:01
+1 A

"a means to" is the idiom.
"economically" changes the meaning.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIBA
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Stern, Insead, ISB, Wharton, Columbia
WE 1: Information Technology (Banking and Financial Services)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 15:50
I picked E. When I read first , I felt as a means for sounds better . I was not aware that as a means to is an idiom.

I decomposed the statement as -

More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts as a means for

greater economic development
and
the investment of millions of dollars in cultural activities

,despite strained municipal budgets and fading federal support.

Assuming we do not know the correct idiom,can we solve this just on the basis of parallelism ? Is the parallel structure I have depicted above correct ?

I believe both of them are noun phrases 'greater economic development' and 'the investment of...' or is it that one of them is complex noun and the other simple ?

~soaringAlone
~Live fast, die young and leave a marketable corpse behind !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:56
a means of

means " a type"

a means to

means " a method"

if I do not remember wrong
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1263

Kudos [?]: 3508 [3] , given: 185

More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 05:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

I received a PM to clarify if we can solve this problem without the knowledge of correct idiom.

The answer to that question is, Yes. We can arrive at the correct answer choice purely on the basis of parallelism.
Let’s bring the problem and the answer choices here:

Let’s analyze each choice on the basis of parallelism.
(A) to greater economic development and investing: Correct. The two entities in the list are “are stressing” and “(are) investing millions of dollars in cultural activities”.

(B) to greater development economically and investing: Incorrect. “economically” is not the same as “economic”. “economically” means “inexpensively” whereas “economic” means pertaining to the finance.

(C) of greater economic development and invest: Incorrect. “invest” is not parallel to “are stressing”.

(D) of greater development economically and invest: Incorrect. Same errors as in choice C.

(E) for greater economic development and the investment of: Incorrect. This choice distorts the intended meaning as "are stressing" is not parallel to "the investment...".

The confusion between A and E can be further resolved much easily if we know the correct idiom pertaining to the use “means”.

The two correct idioms related to “means of” and “means to”.
“means of” = kind of
“means to” = method to achieve

Per the official sentence, the intended meaning is that “arts” is a method to greater economic development and investing lots of money in cultural activities. On this basis, choice A can be selected easily.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Last edited by egmat on 25 Jul 2014, 07:40, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:32
I think there is more to it than what has been explained so far -

This sentence states that "More and more in recent years, cities are stressing .......... and investing ............,despite ....."

Clearly stressing and investing, the 2 gerunds are parallel in the OA. The phrase to greater economic development is a prepositional phrase. I don't think that we should look for parallelism between investing and "greater economic development".

(A) to greater economic development and investing - Correct

(B) to greater development economically and investing - "economically" is not the same as "economical" The former is an adverb, the latter is an adjective.
(C) of greater economic development and invest - Parallelism breaks with the use of "invest"
(D) of greater development economically and invest - same as C - No parallelism
(E) for greater economic development and the investment of - same as C - No parallelism
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V9

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 46

Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 09:46
as per my knowledge.. it shld be as a means of....but the verbs to be parallel..so we have opted for A ..plz let me knw if m wrong
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 02:25
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Could someone explain me the OA ?
Is greater a verb? I'm quite surprise by the structure of this sentence...

Understanding of words + parallelism, here:

Understanding of words:
economic, not economical. To develop economically means it's developing without wasting resources. This is not the intended meaning of the author. So, B/D gone.

Parallelism:

we need to parallel "cities are stressing", so we have a present participle that we need to add another present participle to. Only A - of the viable options - has a present participle. So A is correct.
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 60

Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2014, 06:32

Since cities are stressing so investing should be present at right answer

B/w A and B , B is wrong it changes the meaning (also in GMAT economic is always wins race to economical or economically :))

Hope that helps

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Re: More and more in recent years, cities are stressing the arts   [#permalink] 12 Jul 2014, 06:32