Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V37
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 30

More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 11:37
Gave my 2nd MGMAT CAT and scored 680. Though MGMAT tests looks weird after giving the GMAT Prep, i am not able to decide whether to give more GMAT test after rectifying the problem areas or concentrate more on practicing?

As of now the main problem for me in Verbal is SC speed. I am not able to solve the Q's in 1 min and this leads to less time for RC and CR :-(
And in Quant its the PACING. I still end up spending 3+ min in few Quant Q's leading to guessing to maintain the pace :-(

My exam date is in Aug 2nd week. What should be my strategy in terms of practice tests and improving on my problem areas?

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
GMATPrep 2 IR 710 (06th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)
GMATPrep 1 IR 710 (22nd July)
MGMAT CAT 2 IR 680 (1st July)
MGMAT CAT 1 IR 680 (24th June)
MGMAT CAT 1 690 (21st May)
GMATPrep 2 720 (16th May)
GMATPrep 1 710 (13th May)

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'd say don't keep taking CATs without working on your weak areas first . What I mean by this , try to pinpoint your weaknesses first . For instance don't just say you are weak in SC , try to pinpoint what specific part in SC are you weak in ? ( e.g. Modifiers , parallelism erc.) . Then try to work out questions in this specific area and make sure you use a timer to see how long you take to do these questions . As you practice and REVIEW more questions you will be able to arrive at the right answer more quickly . Once you feel like your hit rate is improving then take a practice test to gauge your progress .

Does this help ?

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Manager
Manager

Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 04:57
My Quant is going in range of 46 to 48 so i m planning to study MGMAT Advanced Quant Guide. I really like their stuff and 8 strategy guide really helped in moving from 530 to 700. My target score for Quant is 50 and 40+ for verbal.

You have a good point, i am going to do some practice Q and identify the SC issues with content. I am comfortable with RC and CR with SC the problem is the speed. The longer time in SC leaves me with lesser time in CR/RC Q's :-( I am able to solve most of the SC questions in less than 2 min time but not in less than 90 sec :-( I know i have to do vertical SCAN etc but not able to put these strategies in practice. Any pointer/book/GMATclub resource to improve on SC.

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 18

Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 08:03
This post received
KUDOS
If you are not able to put the vertical scan/splits in practice while answering the SC questions, then probably you are time conscious. Practice in untimed mode and then switch over to timed mode. Also follow a timing strategy instead of checking time for every questions. Say you should have spent 10 mins for 5 qn in quant and 9 mins for 5 qn in verbal. +/- 2 mins difference is affordable, anything more than that - you need to guess one and move on. So until you finish the 5th qn, don look at the timer. That way you avoid panic and will be able to concentrate comfortably on the questions. If you are a non native speaker, try to finish SC in 100 sec, its completely alright. You should try to speed up RC or CR instead of SC.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Manager
Manager

Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 11:41
I am indeed a non native speaker.
I have started solving OG13 with the same strategy i.e.
5 CR and SC Q's, and 2 RC Passage everyday (timed environment)
5 PS/DS from OG13 everyday (timed environment)
will utilize my weekend time to study content and practice strategy.
Is that a sound plan?

GMAT Exam 690 (08th Aug)
Kaplna 610 (28th July)

GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 19:06
Some pointers :

1)Quant - you don't need to do the MGMAT advanced quant book . It's not necessary to do that book to score a Q 50 . Incidentally , I scored a 50 in quant without doing that book . The difference between a Q 47 and a Q 50 could be time management . Did you have to randomly guess some questions at the end because you ran out of time ?

If you want to reach the higher levels In quant you do need to know when to give up on a question . Beyond the 3 min mark just GUESS and move on ! Don't go with the mentlaity that you absolutely have to get every question right .

In terms of material I would say do the questions in the GMAT prep question pack and also do the GMATCLUB tests . I think the MGMAT advanced quaint guide will take too long to do ( and I don't think you have sufficient time )

2.Verbal - For SC the most important thing is to review ALL OG questions , irrespective of whether you got the question right or wrong .If you want to do a course do the GMAT SC course , it's pretty good.
But I feel first you need to figure out what your specific weaknesses are , in SC and do some targeted practice ( as I mentioned earlier )

Hope this helps !

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: More MGMAT Tests or More practice for one month   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2012, 19:06