Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More on Rather than Rather than accept the conventional

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

More on Rather than Rather than accept the conventional [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 21:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

89% (02:02) correct 11% (00:00) wrong based on 4 sessions
More on Rather than

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

A. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
B. Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
C. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
D. Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of Spain.
E. Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 21:18
I say the answer is D
A,B, and E all have passive voice with "was sent", so they're out.
Between C and D, "Rather than accept" tends to agree more with "sailed" than does "Instead of accepting"
Any other thoughts?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2007, 22:32
Will go with B. Rather than accepting seems like correct usage to me.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 06:00
Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.

If I see something like that on G-day, I would go with B but here I believe they are all wrong or correct me if I am wrong?

'Rather than accepting the wisdom that earth was flat' is a modifier it should modify king & queen not Columbus?
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC; Rather than Vs instead of [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 06:43
Hi Folks,

I do not have OA on this one. I do not remember from where I picked it but it seems quite complicate and controversial.

imo, B is best but I found D as OA in some posts. I cannot go with D for "having been sent by". Having been is generally not accepted in gmat.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 06:57
Well on a second thought A, B and E can not be the answer because of modifier issues.

We are left with C and D.
I dont like either but we have to pick one so i guess 'rather than' more formal than 'instead of'. So, D. but both C and D look really funny to me!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 08:25
there is a good explanation here on why it is D

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... r+columbus

Praveen

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 11:21
this is from the manhattan

The original sentence contains several errors. First, the construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but the original sentence pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(C) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

(D) CORRECT. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “sailed.” The uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”

(E) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2007, 11:42
apache wrote:
this is from the manhattan

The original sentence contains several errors. First, the construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but the original sentence pairs an active verb ("accept") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The construction "X rather than Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Second, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

(C) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice.

(D) CORRECT. This choice uses the construction “X rather than Y” to correctly compare the parallel active verbs “accept” and “sailed.” The uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west is correctly indicated by the word “whether.”

(E) This choice begins with "instead of," which is incorrectly used to compare the verbs “accepting” and “sailed.” When comparing verbs, “rather than” is the correct choice. Even if “instead of” were correct, the construction "X instead of Y" requires parallelism between X and Y, but this choice pairs an active verb ("accepting") with a passive one ("was sent"). Finally, the use of "if" in this context is incorrect. On the GMAT, "if" is used only to introduce conditional clauses (e.g. “if X, then Y”). Here, "whether" should be used instead of “if” to indicate uncertainty about reaching India by traveling west.

Arent we ignoring the dangling modifier having been... in D. Am stupified
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 54

Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 20:18
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.

• Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by traveling west.
• Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
• Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of
Spain.
• Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
sailed west to see whether he could reach India, having been sent by the king and queen of
Spain.
• Instead of accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

OA after some discussion

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 44

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2014, 20:50
thefibonacci wrote:
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus

• Rather than accepting the conventional wisdom that the earth was flat, Christopher Columbus
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to see if he could reach India by sailing west.
Spain.
Spain.
was sent by the king and queen of Spain to sail west to see if he could reach India.

OA after some discussion

Columbus didn't accept the conventional wisdom. So after comma will come the Active subject. So eliminate A,B and E. Also all these have 'if' -> this is also incorrect. It should be 'whether'... as 'if' corresponds to a condition & 'whether' suggests alternatives. So out A,B & E options.
Now we are left with C & D.
Only difference is Rather than accept VS instead of accepting. In the case of showing preference Rather Than is better.
Hence D is the answer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 168

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 01:22
ani781 wrote:
thefibonacci wrote:

Spain.
Spain.

OA after some discussion

Columbus didn't accept the conventional wisdom. So after comma will come the Active subject. So eliminate A,B and E. Also all these have 'if' -> this is also incorrect. It should be 'whether'... as 'if' corresponds to a condition & 'whether' suggests alternatives. So out A,B & E options.
Now we are left with C & D.
Only difference is Rather than accept VS instead of accepting. In the case of showing preference Rather Than is better.
Hence D is the answer.

Hi,

I picked C because I could not understand the nuances of using 'Instead of' vs 'Rather Than'. Ron(MGMAT Instructor) says that such kind of differences won't be tested in GMAT. Still, what Ani781 has said is true. Accept is compared with Sailed in the stem i.e. verb to verb comparison.

OA shud be 'D'.

Regards,
Ashish
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 404 [1] , given: 209

Re: Rather than accept the conventional wisdom that the earth [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 07:46
This post received
KUDOS
This question is posted multiples times and discussed in-depth on MGMAT forum as well as on Gmatclub. MGMAT said that they would revise this problem as answers were debatable. I see no point in discussing this problem further.

Only takeaway : Active and passive issue in both halves of the sentence.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2601 [0], given: 695

Re: More on Rather than Rather than accept the conventional [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2014, 11:12
Expert's post
Re: More on Rather than Rather than accept the conventional   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2014, 11:12