Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (01:38) correct 38% (01:06) wrong based on 88 sessions
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Please Pay attention to the following Posting Rules.
1) Always post the question in relevant forum. e.g. This question should be posted in SC sub-forum and should not be in General Verbal Forum.
2) Always underline the relevant part of SC question sentence.
3) Always post the question along with OA and if possible mark the appropriate tags.
Thank You.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 25 Sep 2013, 05:49, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 11:10
This post received
KUDOS
IMO A is the correct answer.

what is the OA to the question

I can explain how i arrived at the given answer.. if my answer is correct

Thanks

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 03:58
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with A.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(A) More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(B) With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.

(C) Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.

(D) While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.

(E) More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

A for me
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 27 May 2008, 18:36
OA is A, can you explain what is wrong with E.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 23:47
This post received
KUDOS
I was debating major time between A and E. However, E has the phrase with more than 300 rivers draining into it....GMAt does not prefer the structure in the form of " with ....+Verbing"

Also Lake B can not be more than all the North American Great lakes combined....It is the water in Lake B.

Dream the impossible and do the incredible.

Live. Love. Laugh.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2011, 17:42
Ooh.. I fell for E.. Thanks for the explanation babyif19 , its certainly a comparison trap. Well explained.. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 650 Q46 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 16

Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 03:05
thanks babyif19 for clearly putting it out . I was leaning towards E and can now see the solution clearly .

Aiming for 700+!
[highlight]"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”[/highlight]
― Paulo Coelho

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 20:57
Hi Sodenso,
Your style of highlighting the incorrect is super cool. Although 'D' is wrong, can you or anyone please explain it to me the correct reasons why 'D' is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 136

Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 08:33
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

Hello Experts,
Can someone please explain what the modifier "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined" is modifying? Is it modifying previous modifier or is it modifying the main clause. Of late, I have been seeing such constructions, and really want to understand how such constructions work.

Thanks
Himanshu

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 11:19
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

A for me
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1527 [2] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 09:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello Experts,
Can someone please explain what the modifier "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined" is modifying? Is it modifying previous modifier or is it modifying the main clause. Of late, I have been seeing such constructions, and really want to understand how such constructions work.

Thanks
Himanshu

Dear Himanshu,
I'm responding to your pm, and I am happy to help. :-)

One way to think about it is: exactly what is "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined"? The Great Lakes, as lakes, are fresh water, so we are comparing them to another quantity of fresh water --- "20 percent of the world's fresh water", a noun phrase that is the object of the the noun-modifying phrase beginning with "more than all ..." Not surprisingly, the modifier touches the noun, in accordance with the Modifier Touch Rule. See this blog for more on that rule:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
While there are exceptions to the Modifier Touch Rule, that's an exactly place to start to look for the noun modified.

Keep in mind that modifiers are a part of what the GMAT calls "Logical Predication" on the the SC ----- in other words, to make sense of whether modifiers are used correctly and what they are modifying, you have to look beyond the grammar of a sentence to the logic & meaning, which are more primary. See this blog for more on that:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/logical-pr ... orrection/

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 09:31
mikemcgarry wrote:
imhimanshu wrote:
Hello Experts,

Thanks
Himanshu

Dear Himanshu,
I'm responding to your pm, and I am happy to help. :-)

One way to think about it is: exactly what is "more than all the North American Great Lakes combined"? The Great Lakes, as lakes, are fresh water, so we are comparing them to another quantity of fresh water --- "20 percent of the world's fresh water", a noun phrase that is the object of the the noun-modifying phrase beginning with "more than all ..." Not surprisingly, the modifier touches the noun, in accordance with the Modifier Touch Rule. See this blog for more on that rule:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
While there are exceptions to the Modifier Touch Rule, that's an exactly place to start to look for the noun modified.

Keep in mind that modifiers are a part of what the GMAT calls "Logical Predication" on the the SC ----- in other words, to make sense of whether modifiers are used correctly and what they are modifying, you have to look beyond the grammar of a sentence to the logic & meaning, which are more primary. See this blog for more on that:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/logical-pr ... orrection/

Does all this make sense?

Can u please clarify, What is the main verb in option A? Thanks
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1527 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 15:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Chiranjeevee wrote:

Dear Chiranjeevee,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Here is version (A):
The main subject is "more than 300 rivers", and the main verb is "drain". Everything before the comma is the independent clause of the sentence. After that are just modifiers.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 16:35
mikemcgarry wrote:
Chiranjeevee wrote:

Dear Chiranjeevee,
I'm happy to help. :-)

Here is version (A):
The main subject is "more than 300 rivers", and the main verb is "drain". Everything before the comma is the independent clause of the sentence. After that are just modifiers.
Does this make sense?

oops! clearly missed that :roll: Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 20:44

A. More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
E. More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Hi.

choice B says "Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it"

does "the lake has 300 rivers" make sense?
it seems to say that the lake possesses 300 rivers.
ISB Threadmaster
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.01
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 218

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2014, 22:27
phammanhhiep wrote:

A. More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal, which holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
B. With 20 percent of the world's fresh water, that is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it.
C. Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, it holds more of the world's fresh water than all that of the North American Great Lakes combined, 20 percent.
D. While more than 300 rivers drain into it, Siberia's Lake Baikal holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water, which is more than all the North American Great Lakes combined.
E. More than all the North American Great Lakes combined, Siberia's Lake Baikal, with more than 300 rivers draining into it, holds 20 percent of the world's fresh water.

Hi.

choice B says "Siberia's Lake Baikal has more than 300 rivers that drain into it"

does "the lake has 300 rivers" make sense?
it seems to say that the lake possesses 300 rivers.

In choice B, it seems that lake Baikal has more than 300 hundred rivers. your understanding is correct,
Hence the OA is A

Also please make sure that you search for an existing question first before posting it. This question has already been posted and you might find the answer in the discussion of the question.

Regards,
Ankur

Just move your mouse to the left side pane and click on the kudos button if i helped you in any way :)
ISB Class of 2016

ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Re: More than 300 rivers drain into Siberia's Lake Baikal   [#permalink] 29 Jan 2014, 22:27