Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 13:40
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:12) correct 45% (01:01) wrong based on 106 sessions
More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknown virus. To prevent contamination, health officials are urging people in the vicinity to wear masks at all times while in public areas.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the preventative action suggested by the health officials?

A. The type of symptoms experienced by the contraction of a virus depends on the characteristics of that particular virus.

B. In a number of sports, protective masks are used to prevent injury to the face and jaw.

C.Organisms use antibodies to fight against attacking viruses.

D. Many viruses are contracted through the mouth via food, breathing, and even kissing.

E. In the city of Tropalle, a virus contracted through the pores of the skin killed hundreds before a vaccine was found.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 1

Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 15:38
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The preventative action being recommended here is to wear masks in public areas order to prevent spreadness of a virus. To weaken this, we would need to show that wearing a mask in public places does not necessarily mitigate how much the disease will spread. Answer choice E does this effectively. It shows a virus that was contracted via a method other than breathing, and thus demonstrates one reason that this preventative measure may not be affected. If the virus is contracted through pores in the skin, then a mask is useless in fighting against the spread.

I hope this helps!!!

Brandon
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

If you found this post helpful, please give me kudos!!! :)

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 20:01
my question to veritas prep gmat instructor-

why have we ruled out "d".....why have we preferred "e" ? i thought both give different modes of transfer of the virus.........

D. Many viruses are contracted through the mouth via food, breathing, and even kissing........ VIRUS INTAKE VIA FOOD AND KISSING ARE ALSO NOT ADDRESSED BY MASKING................

E. In the city of Tropalle, a virus contracted through the pores of the skin killed hundreds before a vaccine was found.....
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 21:16
Not sure whether OE by Economist helps you as I too felt option D rather strengthens the suggestion of wearing mask.

Premise A: an unknown virus has killed at least 83 people
=
Official's suggestion: wear masks to avoid catching the virus

Possible assumption: masks prevent the contraction of the virus

Weakening Data: ?

You are required to find data that weakens the health officials' suggestion that masks should be worn to avoid the virus. The correct answer could be one that exposes the argument's assumption.

This answer choice strengthens the conclusion, but you are asked to weaken it. Claiming that many viruses are passed via the mouth just gives us another reason to believe that masks are very useful in preventing the contraction of the virus.

semwal wrote:
my question to veritas prep gmat instructor-

why have we ruled out "d".....why have we preferred "e" ? i thought both give different modes of transfer of the virus.........

D. Many viruses are contracted through the mouth via food, breathing, and even kissing........ VIRUS INTAKE VIA FOOD AND KISSING ARE ALSO NOT ADDRESSED BY MASKING................

E. In the city of Tropalle, a virus contracted through the pores of the skin killed hundreds before a vaccine was found.....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 23:47
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
The preventative action being recommended here is to wear masks in public areas order to prevent spreadness of a virus. To weaken this, we would need to show that wearing a mask in public places does not necessarily mitigate how much the disease will spread. Answer choice E does this effectively. It shows a virus that was contracted via a method other than breathing, and thus demonstrates one reason that this preventative measure may not be affected. If the virus is contracted through pores in the skin, then a mask is useless in fighting against the spread.

I hope this helps!!!

Hi Brandon,
Thanx for the reply.
I have just one doubt. You write that option (e) effectively tells how the virus is spread in modes other than breathing. But, option (d) does the same as well. Why can't it be option (d).
Thanks in advance!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 21:30
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:

I hope this helps!!!

I have the same doubt. (D) points out at the fact that despite wearing mask you might get infected by the virus. (E) is an example which may or may not be true in this case. Also is it right to choose example as the answer for such questions? It's kind of confusing because in few cases examples are the incorrect choice and are considered as a trap. :?:
Re: More than 83 people have died from the symptoms of an unknow   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2014, 21:30