Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 20:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C.the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
D.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
E.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could anyone explain why it is supposed to be E? Thanks!
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 20:37
I think it's C.
' in recognition of smthing ' is correct usage.

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 20:49
Torn between A and C.

In recognition is idiomatic.

The only reason I will reject A is that its too wordy.

So C it is.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 21:01
jaynayak wrote:
Torn between A and C.

In recognition is idiomatic.

The only reason I will reject A is that its too wordy.

So C it is.

I think A is not only wordy but also not idiomatic. It's not okay to say "Somebody was awarded with something." But "somebody was awarded somthing" should go.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 21:05
buzzgaurav wrote:
I think it's C.

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Do you see any difference between "long-overdue in recognition" and "in long-overdue in recognition"?

And the apposition "the nation's highest military award" is more concise than "which was the nations's highest military award".

Thank you for your viewpoint. I think I understand why E is the best. :)
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 22:50
scgmat wrote:
buzzgaurav wrote:
I think it's C.

Do you see any difference between "long-overdue in recognition" and "in long-overdue in recognition"?

And the apposition "the nation's highest military award" is more concise than "which was the nations's highest military award".

Thank you for your viewpoint. I think I understand why E is the best. :)

I still don't think it's E.
It was the medal of Honor that was long overdue. Also, 'in recognition' clearly gives the reason as to why it was overdue.
Try reading the sentence now.

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―...........― the Congressional Medal of Honor, ..................., long-overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 22:51
I'm taking D here.
verb award
award somthing to someone
award someone something
Thus, passive vioce should be constructed "someone be awarded somthing"
b/w C and D
noun award
"award for somthing" is idiomatic

Also, in C I don't think we need past tense here.

The only thing that matters is what you believe.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2006, 22:57
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in
B.with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
C.the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
D.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue
E.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue

A and B are ruled out for the presence of with then in C we do not need which so now we are down to D and E in this case I would have to guess I do not like in E the sentence split by the comma so I would rather not use the comma picking D but not sure about which correct idiom to use.... sounds better for long,... rather then in-long

“If money is your hope for independence you will never have it. The only real security that a man will have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.â€

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 00:39
scgmat wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A, B out since idiom is incorrect. Going with E, since the recognition was overdue, more than the award. In addition, you're awarded a medal in recognition of your services, not for recognition of your services.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 06:01
I caught between D and E.

Can anyone explain why for is not better than in ?
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 08:16
I seriously think it is b/w D and E

D. More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―the Congressional Medal of Honor [, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue...] recognition of their outstanding bravery
D says AWARD FOR something

E. More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―the Congressional Medal of Honor, [the nation’s highest military award], in long-overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery
E says MEDAL IN something

how do we choose?

D says "MEDAL RECOGNITION OF" [...] is a modifier, that can be omitted for the purpose of making sense of the sentence
E says "MEDAL IN RECOGNITION OF"

D doesn't make much sense, because MEDAL is RECOGNITION, thus D is redundant and unidiomatic.

E is the answer.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 08:40

After debating between C and E I am going with E as "was" in C reflects that the medal is no longer the top award.

E is correct, because the recognition was long-overdue as things happend 50 yrs ago.

"the " is required for the Congressional Medal of Honor instead of "with "

Answer: E
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 10:10
E for sure.

The idea here is that you should be able to reframe the sentence without the use of the phrase in b/w. You can do that with E, not with C.
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 10:27
This is for sure E. Let me explain.

=====> Wrong idiom - awarded with
=====> Wrong idiom - awarded with
=====> its the recognition that is long-overdue not the award.
=====> "awarded X FOR recognition of something" is wrong
=====> "awarded X IN recognition of something" is correct.

Try the sentence without "long-overdue" and then see where you need to place it.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 17:12
IMO, "the nation’s highest military award" is just an additional piece of info. So we might want to use which?
Also, "long overdue in" sounds better than "in long overdue"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2006, 19:19
scgmat wrote:
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in .

D.the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award recognition of their outstanding braveryfor long-overdue

he was awarded the Medal in long-overdue recognition of his outstanding bravery.

do you think it is correct idiomatically to say

medal in long-overdue recognition for X

I would lean more toward C
Re: SC: Medal of Honor   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2006, 19:19