Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 05:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [4] , given: 4

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 14:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (01:40) correct 61% (01:03) wrong based on 276 sessions
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American
soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military
award, long-overdue in

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in longoverdue
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 15 Nov 2013, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 11:55
B...Awarded with is the right idiom...and the pronoun reference error of "which" is removed...

Choose Life

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 379 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 23:03
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 613 [3] , given: 5

Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 09:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sanoasis wrote:
soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

award, long-overdue in

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in longoverdue

Agree the answer is E

The core of the sentence reads

[They] were awarded the medal of honor....in recognition of...blah blah blah.

Here we have a "split sentence"--framework #4. The middle phrase "the nation's highest military award" is just a descriptive phrase that describes "Medal of Honor." Taking out this phrase, you have the core of the sentence mentioned above... "[They] were awarded X in recognition of Y" (Look at how much simpler this is to handle than the real question!)

Awarded "the Medal of Honor" is correct and simple.
Awarded "with the Medal of Honor" is unnecessary and more complex.

Notice the phrase "in long overdue recognition"...here "long overdue" is just extra wording...really the idiomatic expression is "in recognition of"---which is used correctly in answer E.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 12:08
I thought that awarded with was the idiom. Could anybody confirm this?
Thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 377 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 21:31
Hi gmatpill

I have a question on the idiom. Isn't "award with" a correct idiom besides "in recognition of"?

thanks

gmatpill wrote:
Agree the answer is E

The core of the sentence reads

[They] were awarded the medal of honor....in recognition of...blah blah blah.

Here we have a "split sentence"--framework #4. The middle phrase "the nation's highest military award" is just a descriptive phrase that describes "Medal of Honor." Taking out this phrase, you have the core of the sentence mentioned above... "[They] were awarded X in recognition of Y" (Look at how much simpler this is to handle than the real question!)

Awarded "the Medal of Honor" is correct and simple.
Awarded "with the Medal of Honor" is unnecessary and more complex.

Notice the phrase "in long overdue recognition"...here "long overdue" is just extra wording...really the idiomatic expression is "in recognition of"---which is used correctly in answer E.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 613 [0], given: 5

Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2010, 18:41
Expert's post
hi nusmavrik,

try to think in terms of what is preferred on the GMAT exam, rather than what is technically right or wrong.

On the GMAT, "awarded X" is preferred over "awarded with X"--if you can express one idea well with fewer words, why do it with more?

Having said that, I see "awarded with" in so many publications that it's hard to label them all as "grammatically incorrect."

Don't bother getting yourself into intellectual discussions about the technicalities. Just know that for the GMAT, "awarded X" is preferred. When in doubt, simple is better.

Hope that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [1] , given: 6

Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
I was not sure about the "award with X" or "award X" idiom but was able to stike out the options because of other errors.

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in - 'was' is incorrect here because the 'Medal of honor' exists in present also.

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue - this sounds as "the nation’s highest military award" is for long overdue recoginition of bravery. Distorts the meaning.

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in - 'was' is incorrect here because the 'Medal of honor' exists in present also.

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for longoverdue - this sounds as "the nation’s highest military award" is for long overdue recoginition of bravery. Distorts the meaning.

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in longoverdue - 'the nation’s highest military award' correctly describes 'Medal of Honor' and the 'Medal is in recognition of their bravery'
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Congressional Medal of Honor [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 12:12
This post received
KUDOS
sanoasis wrote:

award, long-overdue in

Congressional Medal of Honor is the nation's highest military award. So eliminate A,C for that.
the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue means the award is for long overdue recognition whi9ch is wrong. For these soldiers this award was long overdue.

So E is correct
VP
VP
Followers: 205

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 19:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:30
VerbalBot wrote:

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

I have read the above responses. I am still not convinced E is the answer. How "in long overdue" clears the meaning ?

American soldiers were awarded X .... in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

Can somebody please explain???

@egmat - can you please explain.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 20:51
anujag24 wrote:
VerbalBot wrote:

I have read the above responses. I am still not convinced E is the answer. How "in long overdue" clears the meaning ?

American soldiers were awarded X .... in long overdue recognition of their outstanding bravery.

As explained above, the correct structure is

in recognition of....

Long-overdue just act as an adjective modifying 'recognition'. So,

in long-overdue recognition of .....

Rgds,
TGC!

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 20:52
anujag24 wrote:
VerbalBot wrote:

As explained above, the correct structure is

in recognition of....

Long-overdue just act as an adjective modifying 'recognition'. So,

in long-overdue recognition of .....

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.42

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 09:50
More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number of African American soldiers were awarded―some of them posthumously―with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in recognition of their outstanding bravery.

award, long-overdue in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 22:40
It is a very good question. But please underline the part - really helps.
'In Recognition' - so within A,C,E. Both in A & C it is stated 'Congressional Medal of Honor, which was' - this past tense doesn't look correct. So by POE answer is E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 47

Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 00:31

"Awarded with X" is not correct idiom "awarded X" is correct
"in recognition" is correct idiom, "for recognition" is wrong

-Wordiness:"Which was" is not wrong but it is unnecessary. "the nation's highest military award" is an appositive and does not require "which was".
-misplaced modifier: another problem in this sentence is "long-overdue". in this sentence we have: "the Congressional Medal of Honor was long overdue"
while "long-overdue" must modify recognition. the African American recognition was long overdue. so, we have misplaced modifier.
- unidiomatic usage: as mentioned above

C. the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, long-overdue in
Sentence fragment

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long-overdue
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '17, Oxford

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 00:54

A. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, which was the nation’s highest military award, and which was long overdue in - wrong tense "was" - this should be past tense; also second which is wrongly referring to medal of honor

B. with the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long-overdue - for long over due .. is wrong

award, long-overdue in ... tense error as a (a)

D. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award for long overdue - same as (b)

E. the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest military award, in long overdue - right choice.. the modifier "in long.." correctly conveys the meaning
Re: More than fifty years after the Second World War, a number   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 00:54