Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [54]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [32]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [6]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: More than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately describ [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The main difference btw the answers choices is but/although at my first glance.
but is a coordinating conjunction (needs ind clause here)
although is a subordinating conjunction (needs a dep clause)
This leaves only statements C and D.
C is more concise, but improperly uses a pronoun for a concept...
So, D is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: More than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately describ [#permalink]
Kudos
will vote for : D

Although - introduces subordinate clause
but - introduces independent clause

"it" is ambiguous
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 334 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bookmarks
daagh wrote:
A subtle difference between D and E, not in terms of grammar but in terms of altered intent.
D uses a coordinate conjunction but, while E is using a subordinate conjunction although. A coordinating conjunction is used when both the joined arms have equal importance, here in this case, that the Chinese discovery on one hand and the West’s not noticing it on the other. Both are equally weighed as per the original text. This is the correct treatment of the theme.
However, in E, the west not noticing the discovery is given a subordinate importance, a sort of distortion from the original; That is the reason E is considered inappropriate.

Can you please give more details on the Coordinate COnjunction and Subordinate conjunction. When and where to use these?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 495 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Education (Education)
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jitgoel wrote:
Can you please give more details on the Coordinate COnjunction and Subordinate conjunction. When and where to use these?

Generalizing is probably not the best way to learn this. The difference is meaning.

(E) means that the discovery went unnoticed in the West, but Chinese scholars accurately described the flow of blood anyway. In (E), the West's failure to notice actually interfered with the Chinese scholars' ability to describe blood flow.

(D) means that Chinese scholars accurately described blood flow, and we would expect the West to notice this discovery, but surprisingly they did not.

So in this case, "although" gives us preconditions that were overcome, while "but" gives us a surprising result. We want the latter, so (D) is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Although I have chosen D, why is E incorrect?

E modifies 'discovery" with correct tense "was".

Experts, please help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [5]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Debayandc wrote:
Although I have chosen D, why is E incorrect?

E modifies 'discovery" with correct tense "was".

Experts, please help.

The word "although" is problematic in choice (E). To understand why, first consider this example:

"Although I just ate an entire burrito, I could still eat some pizza."

The fact that I just ate an entire burrito is a reason why I would NOT want to eat pizza. But, DESPITE THE FACT that I just ate an entire burrito, I still want pizza. :-P In this case, "although" basically means "even though".

Now back to choice (E):

Quote:
(E) More than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately described {X}, although the discovery was unnoticed in the West.

Is the fact that the discovery was unnoticed in the West something that would have interfered with the discovery by the Chinese scholars? Is it a reason why the Chinese scholars might NOT have accurately described {X}? In other words, did the Chinese scholars accurately describe {X} 5,0000 years ago DESPITE THE FACT that the discovery was unnoticed in the West?

No, not quite. Whether the discovery was noticed in the West would not have impacted the Chinese scholars' ability to accurately describe {X}, so "although" (i.e. "even though") isn't the best word choice.

Also, the verb "was" in choice (E) suggests that the West simply didn't notice the discovery at the time it was made (more than 5,000 years ago). In choice (D), the verb "went" suggests that the West didn't notice the discovery for many years (centuries? millennia?) AFTER the discovery was made.

So, are we trying to say that the West simply didn't notice the discovery 5,000 years ago? Or that the West failed to notice the discovery for a long time after it was initially made? The latter makes a bit more sense, especially since the sentence begins by highlighting the fact that the Chinese scholars made the discovery a really long time ago.

Is either of those reasons a smoking gun? Probably not. But together, they make (D) a better choice than (E).

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 433
Send PM
ParamjitDasGMAT,

Can you throw some light on option's D and E.
Confused between "but" and "Although".

How do choose between the two?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ParamjitDasGMAT,

Can you throw some light on option's D and E.
Confused between "but" and "Although".

How do choose between the two?

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, both "but" and "although" convey a sense of contrast, but "although" carries an additional layer of meaning.

"although" implies that one action took place in spite of another action happening; in other words, if we say "Although X happened, Y also happened.", we imply that X happening makes Y less likely or even impossible, but Y happened anyway.

The use of "but" lacks this extra implication; "X happened, but Y also happened." simply implies that X happened and the contrasting action Y also happened.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
More than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately describ [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5,

Can you explain the difference above from the above question.

Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krndatta wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5,

Can you explain the difference above from the above question.

Thanks

Hello krndatta,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the use of "although" in this sentence conveys that in spite of the fact that the discovery went unnoticed in the West, more than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately described the flow of blood as a contin­uous circle controlled by the heart; this usage incorrectly implies that the discovery going unnoticed in the West somehow made it more difficult for the Chinese scholars to make the discovery.

The use of "but" in this sentence, however, correctly implies that more than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately described the flow of blood as a contin­uous circle controlled by the heart, and as a separate, contrasting action the discovery went unnoticed in the West.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ExpertsGlobal5,

I understood your explanation above.

Just rephrasing it once again for my clarity.
So Option E says that the discovery went unnoticed in the West. Despite the discovery going unnoticed in the west, Chinese Scholars described the accurate flow of the blood.

Option D presents two contrasting ideas. One is that the discovery went unnoticed in the West, and other is Chinese Scholars accurately describing something.

Note: Option E makes sense too. So how do we decide between the two?

Please elaborate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Hi at some places E is marked as the correct answer and they have provided the explanation that 'went' in option D in inappropriate. I chose D as correct answer because of use of 'but'. Can you please elaborate on this
If this is an OG ques. can you please give ques. number for OG22 so that I can check the official answer.
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BansalT wrote:
I chose D as correct answer because of use of 'but'.

D should definitely be the correct answer to this one.

The use of "although" in choice E is problematic.

In "X, although Y", the 'Y' is a countervailing background condition that obtains at the time when 'X' happens / is observed. In other words, 'Y' should be something that's already true, or that has already happened, to make 'X' seem less likely and/or less sensible than otherwise.

In this case, "although the discovery was unnoticed" has the absurd implication that "the discovery" already existed in some sense before the Chinese actually made it!

If this problem is official, it's almost certainly very old (the "OG 1990" citation is quite believable). I'm saying this largely because of the use of "went unnoticed", an idiom with which native speakers of English are much more likely to be comfortable than are non-native speakers.
The GMAT of thirty years ago—whose test-taker pool was almost entirely American—contained a fair number of such things, but GMAC has been scrupulous about eliminating these unfair idioms from the pool in more recent years so that the test isn't biased either for or against test takers from any particular linguistic background.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [1]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Kudos
ashishd wrote:
More than five thousand years ago, Chinese scholars accurately described the flow of blood as a contin­uous circle controlled by the heart, but it went unnoticed in the West.

(A) but it went

(B) but it was

(C) although it was

(D) but the discovery went

(E) although the discovery was

It in A b and C has no antecedent.
E does not convey the intended meaning.
ANS D
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts