Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (02:04) correct 23% (01:12) wrong based on 553 sessions
Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and back of the head, but little or no protection for the temple regions on the sides of the head. A study of head injuries resulting from bicycle accidents showed that a large proportion were caused by blows to the temple area. Therefore, if bicycle helmets protected this area, the risk of serious head injury in bicycle accidents would be greatly reduced, especially since ______________ .

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

(A) among the bicyclists included in the study's sample of head injuries, only a very small proportion had been wearing a helmet at the time of their accident

(B) even those bicyclists who regularly wear helmets have a poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford

(C) a helmet that included protection for the temples would have to be somewhat larger and heavier than current helmets

(D) the bone in the temple area is relatively thin and impacts in that area are thus very likely to cause brain injury

(E) bicyclists generally land on their arm or shoulder when they fall to the side, which reduces the likelihood of severe impacts on the side of the head
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 130 [2] , given: 75

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
(A) among the bicyclists included in the study's sample of head injuries, only a very small proportion had been wearing a helmet at the time of their accident
" not wearing" of helmet is not into consideration

(B) even those bicyclists who regularly wear helmets have a poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford
bicyclist need not know about all that because it is mentioned that " .....helmets provide good protection for the top and back of the head..."

(C) a helmet that included protection for the temples would have to be somewhat larger and heavier than current helmets
still, the larger shape and heavier weight will not serve the purpose and does not ensure the safety of the temple.

(D) the bone in the temple area is relatively thin and impacts in that area are thus very likely to cause brain injury
the temple bone is sophisticated enough to get hurt - correct !

(E) bicyclists generally land on their arm or shoulder when they fall to the side, which reduces the likelihood of severe impacts on the side of the head
doesn't not ensure safety and this is not the case in general

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:04
I was confused b/w b and d . . it can be b as cyclists are unaware of this and they cannot protect themselves at the riskier part.

d bcz brain injury might be more serious than other injuries but no where mentioned in passage.

both require some leap ahead of whats stated and/or implied . . m still confused on why d and not b

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2012, 22:25
Between D and E , i picked E , can some one explain how to eliminate E??

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2012, 00:52
crackHSW wrote:
Between D and E , i picked E , can some one explain how to eliminate E??

If the motorcycle rider land on their arm or shoulder when they fall, then there is reduced chance of severe impacts on the temple area and so the no. of injuries is less in temple area in motorcycle accidents.

so, there is no need for the protection of temple area.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 82

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 06:46
I chose B..will anyone explain..y not B?? HOW D IS CORRECT?

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 23:09
For such questions it is imperative that one understands the reasoning in the argument.
Argument says - Helmets does not provide enough protection for temple region of the head and a study says that most injuries to cyclists are caused by injuries in temple area.

We need to complete the argument - "Therefore, if bicycle helmets protected this area, the risk of serious head injury in bicycle accidents would be greatly reduced, especially since ______________ ."

Now it is important to understand what is required out of us to complete - we need to complete the statement that could justify that if temple area is protected, risk of head injury will greatly reduce and this completion part needs to strengthen this reasoning.

As in (B) says - " even those bicyclists who regularly wear helmets have a poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford"

This statement conveying that bikers have a poor understanding of the helmet protection - now to think here is how just having a poor understanding of helmet protection can Strengthen what we require to fill in the blank.

It doesn't.

(D) on the other hand - by stating that temple area has a soft bone, Surely strengthens that helmet protection needs to be better for temple area.

Hope it HELPS.

sanjoo wrote:
I chose B..will anyone explain..y not B?? HOW D IS CORRECT?

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

SVP
SVP
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 21:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 2

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 05:01
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:
I was confused b/w b and d . . it can be b as cyclists are unaware of this and they cannot protect themselves at the riskier part.

d bcz brain injury might be more serious than other injuries but no where mentioned in passage.

both require some leap ahead of whats stated and/or implied . . m still confused on why d and not b

Hello Puneet,
The argument suggests that "serious injuries" to the head will decrease substantially if the temple region is protected by helmets.
To complete the argument we need a corroborative evidence that says "yes, injuries to the temple causes serious head injuries and preventing this will lower serious injury rates"
Option D does just his by showing that injuries to the temple region of the head can be quite serious.
Option B though talks about bicyclists having a poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford- this has no bearing to the fact that protecting the temple region will cause reduction in serious injuries.

Therefore Option D is relevant, option B isn't.
Hope that helps,
Ajeeth

If you find our response valuable, please encourage us with Kudos!

Live online classes by 99th percentile instructors!
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-courses/online/gmat-live-course/

Get a FREE profile evaluation from CrackVerbal experts!
http://applications.crackverbal.com/free-resources/profile-evaluation/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 47

Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 10:06
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

(A) among the bicyclists included in the study's sample of head injuries, only a very small proportion had been wearing a helmet at the time of their accident...right now we are focusing only on temple injuries.... hence incorrect...

(B) even those bicyclists who regularly wear helmets have a poor understanding of the degree and kind of protection that helmets afford...Understanding does'nt matter....INCORRECT....

(C) a helmet that included protection for the temples would have to be somewhat larger and heavier than current helmets....WE ARE'NT worried about size...incorrect

(D) the bone in the temple area is relatively thin and impacts in that area are thus very likely to cause brain injury...correct....completes the sentence perfectly...

(E) bicyclists generally land on their arm or shoulder when they fall to the side, which reduces the likelihood of severe impacts on the side of the head,...irrelevant...
Re: Most bicycle helmets provide good protection for the top and   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 10:06