Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most computers are digital, meaning they display information

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 103

Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
Most computers are digital, meaning they display information in discrete intervals, as the relevant values and quantities are calculated in greater or smaller increments. Analog computers instead use the continuous change of natural (or at least physical) phenomena to model and represent calculations as they occur, without piecewise division. Slide rules and
astrolabes are comparatively primitive forms of analog computer; the other end of the spectrum boasts contraptions like the differential analyzer, which uses wheels and discs to solve differential equations, and the gun director, which uses trigonometry to calculate data about a moving target and relay it to a weapon operator.

One of the more remarkable analog computers is the Phillips Hydraulic Computer, also known as the Financephalograph and as the MONIAC (Monetary National
Income Analogue Computer), created in 1949 by New Zealand economist William Phillips, then a student at the London School of Economics. In essence, the MONIAC uses fluidics—where compressible media mimic operations performed by electronics—to simulate a nation’s economic processes, in this case those of the United Kingdom. It comprises a series of plastic tanks and pipes mounted to a wooden board, each tank standing for a discrete economic element; water is used to represent money, such that controlling its flow to and
from different tanks, by use of various taps and pumps, models the holistic effect of each transaction. If water is released from the “treasury” tank and directed to a lower “health care” tank, the changes caused in equilibrium throughout the entire system can be monitored continuously. Phillips found that the MONIAC could be calibrated to an impressive degree of accuracy, which in turn made it an eminently serviceable economic simulator, anticipating as it did most modern modeling software.
According to the passage, the MONIAC:
A. Predated the invention of computerized economic simulations
B. Was used as an economic prediction engine until replaced by software
C. Was created for an assignment at the London School of Economics
D. Could not have been built without funding from the English government
E. Was initially conceived as a theoretical simulation device
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Last edited by BukrsGmat on 16 Apr 2013, 09:49, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 4

Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 04:47
Hi - Answers B and C are the same...

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 103

Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2012, 19:21
plumber250 wrote:
Hi - Answers B and C are the same...

My apology for that...updated with correct options...

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 20:11
I would go for E. what is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 44

Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 16:29
Phillips found that the MONIAC
could be calibrated to an impressive degree of accuracy,

which in turn made it an eminently serviceable economic
simulator
, anticipating as it did most modern modeling
software.

My choice is for A.

Pls post OA

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 19:21

No information regarding other economic simutations

No where mentioned whether it was used at all or not forget replacement by another thing

C. Was created for an assignment at the London School of Economics

Philip studied there does not mean whatever he does is an assignment from his school

D. Could not have been built without funding from the English government

why would govt fund this ? if its not in passage

atleast philips conceived it this way, some other folks might also have agreed so can take on E

E is my choice . some kudos please . . . .

Phillips found that the MONIAC
could be calibrated to an impressive degree of accuracy,
(35) which in turn made it an eminently serviceable economic
simulator

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 76

Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 20:41
In my opinion,

The correct answers could be among A, B and E

Eliminate.
Phillips found that the MONIAC could be calibrated to an impressive degree of accuracy, which in turn made it an eminently serviceable economic simulator, anticipating as it did most modern modeling software.

This means modern software were also available during that time. Hence not predated.

Answer!

No where it is mentioned that it was initially thought as a theoretical device. Eliminate.

Waiting for OA and Explanation!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 22:21
I think the answer is E. A seems right, but is not supported by the passage. Author, can we have the OA please?
Re: Most computers are digital, meaning they display information   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2012, 22:21