Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 100

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 16:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

21% (01:00) correct 79% (01:13) wrong based on 36 sessions
514. Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.
(A) are included in earnings, than
(B) are included in earnings, as
(C) is included in earnings, than they pay
(D) is included in earnings, as is paid
(E) is included in earnings, as they pay

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:E

ok i gave it a glance n' got this one wrong.
Pls somebody explain I chose ARE over IS b'coz three sublects are joined with an "and"..doesnt this requre a plural verb?

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 12

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 02:57
This post received
KUDOS
tejal777 wrote:
514. Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Pls somebody explain I chose ARE over IS b'coz three sublects are joined with an "and"..doesnt this requre a plural verb?

This is what GMAT does. It plays tricks with you.
First of all, there is some modification in question. the underlined part starts from a differently. Here is the question :

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues

Now, to solve this one, the first thing you need to look is for the idiom "as much.... as" to complete. Lets look at the options. Clearly, we can eliminate A & C.

Now, next would be to look at the verbs. Here, the GMAT tricks with giving both "are" and "is in option. The way to find the best answer is to see subject verb agreement. Here, the verb is for subject "value" which is singular. Hence, Option B is eliminated.

Option D unnecessarily changes the tense to a perfect tense.

Option E maintains the tense (simple past) as well the numbers part (Many Corporations) by rightly using "they pay".

Long one eh! Hope it helps. :)

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 17:18
"Value of Benefits" is singular. of benefits is a middleman. Get rid of this.

1. That expalains why 'IS'.

2. As needs to be completed by as.

3. Because pay is compared. I will pick up. "They pay"

'E' is my pick..

What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 19:44
IMO E

at least as much to X as to Y

The s/v agreement: the value....is
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 03:41
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

This is what GMAT does. It plays tricks with you.
First of all, there is some modification in question. the underlined part starts from a differently. Here is the question :

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days are included in earnings, than to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues

Now, to solve this one, the first thing you need to look is for the idiom "as much.... as" to complete. Lets look at the options. Clearly, we can eliminate A & C.

Now, next would be to look at the verbs. Here, the GMAT tricks with giving both "are" and "is in option. The way to find the best answer is to see subject verb agreement. Here, the verb is for subject "value" which is singular. Hence, Option B is eliminated.

Option D unnecessarily changes the tense to a perfect tense.

Option E maintains the tense (simple past) as well the numbers part (Many Corporations) by rightly using "they pay".

Long one eh! Hope it helps. :)

I think "they pay" is not required in option E. Although having it does not cause any harm. What you say?

Consider kudos for good post.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 01:05
I choose E:

1) as mush ... as
2) value ... is
3) parallelism: pay...pay
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 22:42
Value is singular so is over are so ans is E

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 15:04
Chose A but agree with E after reading the explanations.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 10:00
Got this one wrong. :(
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 7

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 23:19
tejal777 wrote:

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days is included in earnings, as they pay to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.

Although E is the better than others, the use of 'they pay' is nothing but breaking the parallelism of "they pay twice As much to A as (they pay) to B"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 10:31
Good question. I agree that E should be the answer.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 20:28
anordinaryguy wrote:
tejal777 wrote:

Most Corporations pay at least twice as much to full-time employees, if the value of benefits, sick days, and paid vacation days is included in earnings, as they pay to part-time employees, whose hourly wages are often higher than those of their full-time colleagues.

Although E is the better than others, the use of 'they pay' is nothing but breaking the parallelism of "they pay twice As much to A as (they pay) to B"

Got to agree with you on the bold part but no choice here than to choose E! :wink:

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Re: Most Corporations pay at least twice as much   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2011, 20:28