Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 565 [21]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [6]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Most editors of literature consider it their main duty to present the [#permalink]
Kudos
jenchen0908 wrote:
can anyone explain why the answer to the 1st questions is (C) The punctuation of the manuscript has the advantage of being the author's own. ???? I just don't get it. the last paragraph only says : "Which punctuation is more authentically "Brontean": Bronte's own, or that which Bronte explicitly preferred to her own?

where did it say in the passage that "the punctuation of the manuscript has the advantage"????

hope someone can help me here .... really much appreciated !!

Hi,
the author gives the example of Jane Eyre to explain the quandary that is presented to the author regarding the authenticity of punctuation.
Therefore, in resolving this quandary (which punctuation is more "authentical": the punctuation in the manuscript or the one in the edited text), the fact that the manuscript is 100% written by the author gives to the manuscript an advantage over the edited text.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Most editors of literature consider it their main duty to present the [#permalink]
2: It can be inferred that the author would regard which of the following as potentially a legitimate basis for a new edition of a literary work?
III : A second edition thoroughly amended by the author.
"The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revision made long after publication." We can remove choice A and C.
II:A first edition incorporating the publisher's revisions.
"The publisher of the first edition of Women in Love toned, The publisher of the first edition of The Red Badge, the changes were "authorized" in the sense that the authors accepted"
Just choice E has both II and III, so E is the answer.

1. Which of the following can be inferred about the text of Jane Eyre from the passage?
"We also have a letter from her publisher, thanking him for correcting her punctuation. Which punctuation is more authentically "Brontean"
I think it is quite clear to deduce in this question.

3 ) Which of the following situations would the author probably say presents the least difficult decision for an editor?
The passage mentions many time about the quandary of the editors, because they base on the authors' opinion to publish. Choice D said that the editor is also the author so that he can do anything in their text.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [0]
Given Kudos: 442
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
For question 1, I think C is an option which is subject to interpretation
Just checked the meaning of quadnary - it means puzzling ( in lay man terms)

Also the passage 3 writes which is better? - Author provides no EXPLAINATION for the INTENTION.

I believe, since inference should be a MUST BE TRUE question ( based on the theories of Powerscore and CR), we CERTAINLY don't know whether she felt it better than her own creation.

So this question I believe is more about the intent, which also we don't know because the last para EXPLICITLY mentions this :
The thorniest situation of all, perhaps, involves authorial revision made long after publication.

We again don't know whether she revised the punctuations that is too LONG AFTER.

Can anybody help me if I am wrong here?

I opted E though because at the time of solving the problem I thought that she MIGHT not have expected the corrections ( which is again about the intent)

Regards,
Rishav
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts