Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 276 [1] , given: 100

Reviews Badge
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:46) correct 27% (00:50) wrong based on 710 sessions
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 13

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 22:28
This post received
KUDOS
macjas wrote:
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
Incorrect: "vaccination" and "exterminating" are not parallel

B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
Incorrect: "vaccinating" and "extermination" are not parallel. Also, I think the proper idiomatic phrase is "such . . . as" as opposed to "such . . . like"

C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
Incorrect: the "on" before exterminating is kind of wordy because "on either" implies that the "on" carries over to both "vaccinating" and "exterminating"

D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
Incorrect: "vaccinating" and "extermination" are not parallel

E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating

Correct: Proper idiomatic phrase is used "such . . .as", and "vaccinating" and "exterminating" are parallel
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [4] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is essentially a test of 1. the use of such as versus like 2. the parallelism of the coordinate conjunction either--- or and 3 the parallelism of a participle or gerund and noun

A like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating--- like can not be used to mark examples

B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of----use of like is wrong

C. as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating--- either vaccinating humans or on exterminating---wrong parallelism of either ---or coordinate conjunction; on the right hand side of both either and or, similar structure should be used

D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of----- either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of --- bad co-ordinate conjunction parallelism.

E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating --- proper uaw of either or parallelism. Correct choice.

Now let us take choice B. We rejected it primarily because of the uses of like. However, how about either or parallelism? It is perfectly parallel because of the use of the pronoun on the right hand side of both either and or.

What about vaccinating of and extermination of—this is also perfectly parallel because vaccinating of is a gerund and is as good as extermination of in structure.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 276 [0], given: 100

Reviews Badge
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 02:36
I narrowed it down between D and E due to the idiomatic use of such x as Y and proper parallel structures

then I chose E because I know the GMAT prefers active over passive voice.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 03:36
Expert's post
As an addendum to my earlier posting, let may say that all the five choices in the context are active voice sentences; so the use of active versus passive voice is not tested here. In addition, Choice C, D and E use the template: such as x and y and not such x as y

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 04:14
so then what is the grammatical distinction, if any, between the structures:

vaccinating of humans
vaccinating humans?

I'm guessing vaccinating humans would be preferred if all else equal?
Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 04:17
also is it just me, or does the SC section seem to have a LOT of parallel error type questions?? Even questions with other errors seem to contain parallel errors along with some other error eg. parallel errors + verb tense
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 04:53
Expert's post
Merely saying vaccinating may mislead. Used as an adjectival phrase, vaccinating humans may refer to those humans who do the job of vaccination. Vaccinating is a present participle and not a gerund in that instance. However, vaccinating of humans is out and out a gerund. That is why for use as a gerund, we may add the preposition of to be sure

Parallelism error is one of the most used aspects of sentence structure at least in GMAT. Although purely singular errors such as lack of parallelism alone may appear rarely in GMAT, the normal practice often is to cobble two or three errors together, of which parallelism will be one either as the primary error or as a secondary error.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 05:06
So to take this further, simple and complex gerunds cannot be parallel and if we change vaccinating humans to:
I am vaccinating humans now then it turns into a simple gerund if vaccinating humans modifies a noun. Gotchya.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 08:53
Expert's post
I am vaccinating is not used in the sense of gerund which i a noun. Because of the addition of am to the present participle vaccinating, I am vaccinating turns into a present progressive, which is a verb.

If you have any further doubts, you may perhaps like to read some good guide on the verbals namely present and past participles, gerunds and infinitives – may be MGMAT’S SC guide.

Current Student

Reviews Badge
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 09:27
thanks daagh; looks like I'm going to have to do some reading of the SC guide. I just skimmed over those topics but some more in depth reading is in order...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 13:01
A ad B are wrong because using like means similar to which in this case they are not trying to show similar examples rather they are saying which diseases.

C and D are out because the either x or y is not parallel.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 04:05
macjas wrote:

The correct ideom is "such.. as", A/B gone.

D is gone because the past participle is not parallel to extermination.

So... when we have parallel structures that already are preceded by "or", do we need to include "or" again? This dilemma took me at least 35 of the total 85 seconds.. Then I remembered the MGMAT SC book telling me that when or comes BEFORE, using it again is superfluous.. That's why E is better than C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 155

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 03:19
option A is not similar to the underlined part in the sentence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 02:23
macjas wrote:

I agree that E is best. but E is not perfect

in many other og problems on sc, gmat tells us to use dedicated noun, such as "attempt" , not doing such as "trying" , to refer to a general action. but in this problem , choice E, the oa, use doing " vaccination and exterminating" to refer to a general action,an action which is not caused by any noun in the sentence.

So, I conclude that the above rule is not obsolute rule. this is preferable rule. if it is an absolute rule, E can be eliminated immediately.

or, E is a mistake by gmat.

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 23

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like [#permalink] New post 21 May 2014, 18:19
daagh wrote:
Merely saying vaccinating may mislead. Used as an adjectival phrase, vaccinating humans may refer to those humans who do the job of vaccination. Vaccinating is a present participle and not a gerund in that instance. However, vaccinating of humans is out and out a gerund. That is why for use as a gerund, we may add the preposition of to be sure

Parallelism error is one of the most used aspects of sentence structure at least in GMAT. Although purely singular errors such as lack of parallelism alone may appear rarely in GMAT, the normal practice often is to cobble two or three errors together, of which parallelism will be one either as the primary error or as a secondary error.

Hi daagh -- thanks for the breakdown. Question for you regarding parallelism in answer choice B:

"on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of" -- how does "the" affect parallelism? would parallelism still be ok if "the" was removed?
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [u]like   [#permalink] 21 May 2014, 18:19