Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 17:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 589

Kudos [?]: 2147 [0], given: 681

Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:56
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

75% (01:42) correct 25% (00:45) wrong based on 154 sessions
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2147 [1] , given: 681

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Idioms, Special construction
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Proper idiomatic construction rules say that
1. Such as is preferred to like
2. Either X or Y is the correct idiomatic structure provided X and Y are parallel.
Using 1, we can A and B are eliminated
Using 2, we can eliminate C and D
E is the correct answer

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [2] , given: 48

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 01:03
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating mosquitoes with pesticides.

A like malaria and dengue have focused either on the vaccination of humans or on exterminating
B like malaria and dengue have focused either on vaccinating of humans or on the extermination of
C as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or on exterminating
D as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating of humans or on extermination of
E as malaria and dengue have focused on either vaccinating humans or exterminating

In GMAT English "such as" is to be used always to present a list, not "like".
Hence (A) and (B) incorrect.

Secondly -Correct usage of Either "X" or "Y" - X and Y should be in same form

C and D put incorrect "on" before exterminating.

Hence
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 10-30-2013
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: -9 [3] , given: 8

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 11:15
This post received
KUDOS
E is the right answer.
Such as should be used instead of like.
Either X or Y.
X and Y should be parallel.

kindly give kudos if my post was useful to you..need kudos !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 10:42
C and E can be shortlisted as they both use vaccinating with exterminating , However C adds ON EXTER. where On is not needed , therefore E is the correct choice..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2147 [0], given: 681

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:35
Expert's post
Concept tested: Idioms, Special construction
Difficulty: 650
Illustration: Proper idiomatic construction rules say that
1. Such as is preferred to like
2. Either X or Y is the correct idiomatic structure provided X and Y are parallel.
Using 1, we can A and B are eliminated
Using 2, we can eliminate C and D
E is the correct answer

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 82

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 22:27
OHH.. best choices are B AND E.. as both are parelel..

i select B.. because like and as confused me alot ..

E is corect ..agree!!

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
+1E

On either…or is correct
Either on…or on…..is also correct (I suppose)
On either…or on is not correct, eliminate C and D

Like presents comparison
As presents examples, eliminate A and B

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Re: Most efforts to combat such mosquito-borne diseases like   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2012, 00:10