Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most employees in the computer industry move from company to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Most employees in the computer industry move from company to [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 06:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Most employees in the computer industry move from company to company, changing jobs several times in their careers. However, Summit Computers is known throughout the industry for retaining its employees. Summit credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, nonhierarchical work environment.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports Summit's explanation of its success in retaining employees?

(A) Some people employed in the computer industry change jobs if they become bored with their current projects.

(B) A hierarchical work environment hinders the cooperative exchange of ideas that computer industry employees consider necessary for their work.

(C) Many of Summit's senior employees had previously worked at only one other company.

(D) In a non-hierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs.

(E) The cost of living near Summit is relatively low compared to areas in which some other computer companies are located.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I DON'T agree with the OA here at all...so please provide explanations! :)

Last edited by plaguerabbit on 07 Jun 2007, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Summit Computers [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 08:11
(A) irrelevant

(B) A hierarchical work environment is considered as negative by the employees, therefore Summit retains its employee by providing a nonhierachical work environment! Best answer

(C) irrelevant

(D) Weakens conclusion!

For further explanations look up OG11! cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 08:25
I got B as well... don't see where there could be another possible answer. It's pretty clear that the work environment is the key issue here... it will cause people to leave or stay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 09:05
B seems pretty clear to me as well.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 09:56
wow, you know what? i left out the answer choice that i thought was right haha. i guess it was too early in the morning.

anyways, check over the answer choices again and see what you think.

sorry about that...
Manager
Manager

Re: CR - Summit Computers [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 14:33
plaguerabbit wrote:
Most employees in the computer industry move from company to company, changing jobs several times in their careers. However, Summit Computers is known throughout the industry for retaining its employees. Summit credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, nonhierarchical work environment.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports Summit's explanation of its success in retaining employees?

(A) Some people employed in the computer industry change jobs if they become bored with their current projects.

(B) A hierarchical work environment hinders the cooperative exchange of ideas that computer industry employees consider necessary for their work.

(C) Many of Summit's senior employees had previously worked at only one other company.

(D) In a non-hierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs.

(E) The cost of living near Summit is relatively low compared to areas in which some other computer companies are located.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I DON'T agree with the OA here at all...so please provide explanations! :)

A irelevant
B strenthens summits explanation
C strenthens but only that it retains its emloyees
D weakens
E out of scope
therefore it is between B and C...B strenthens the most
therefore B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 14:33
The answer is B.

Summit Computers credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, nonhierarchical work environment in an industry plagued with high turnover.

(A) Some people employed in the computer industry change jobs if they become bored with their current projects. Irrelevant

(B) A hierarchical work environment hinders the cooperative exchange of ideas that computer industry employees consider necessary for their work. Strengthens If employees consider cooperative exchange of ideas necessary and a hierachical work environment (something not present in Summit Computers) hinders that then this stmt indeed strenthens Summit Computer's claim for it's success.

(C) Many of Summit's senior employees had previously worked at only one other company. Irrelevant & Out of scope

(D) In a non-hierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs. Irrelevant This stmt. neither Strenthens nor Weakens because even if employees in non-heirarchical env do not discuss problems with colleagues, that does not mean that they don't quit.

(E) The cost of living near Summit is relatively low compared to areas in which some other computer companies are located. Out of Scope

Regards

Subhen

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 17:11
Thanks for the explanations guys, but I'm still not seeing why B is better than D.

The whole point of the passage is that Summit retains its employees better. What keeps employees? If they're satisfied.

D states that in a non-hierarchical work environment, people don't disrupt group harmony. Not disrupting group harmony = satisfaction/happiness/employee retention!

B only states that cooperative exchange of ideas that is necessary for work takes place. This statement only argues that employees do their work more effectively. More effective/efficient work means better profits and etc, but not necessarily employee satisfaction! Employee satisfaction can have very little to do with how well people exchange ideas necessary for work.

I really don't like this question, but it's in the OG11, which is why I'm analyzing it so much. I got this wrong because after reading the passage, I was lookign for something that would improve employee satisfaction, so I chose D.

I dunno, how else can I look at this problem?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 17:44
I think D is correct.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 17:55
mr_sarn wrote:
I think D is correct.

ok, so i'm not insane. I think it's D too, but the OA is B.

i'm about to chalk this one up as one that i'll just never understand and hope I don't get a question with such shabby answer choices on the real GMAT.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 18:09
I went back to check the answer in OG11 and realized that B is really better than D.

It seems that the central idea of this argument is about employee retention.

B states that hierarchical work enviroment obstructs cooperative exchange of ideas that the employees deem necessary; thereby, companies are unable to retain them. In other words, without critical collaborative communication, employees will leave the firms. This statement, therefore, supports the argument.

However, while D indicates the effect of non-hierarchical work environment (seemingly more relevant), it does not point out how the work environment helps retain the company's employees. This makes D irrelevant.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 03:44
mr_sarn wrote:
B states that hierarchical work enviroment obstructs cooperative exchange of ideas that the employees deem necessary; thereby, companies are unable to retain them. In other words, without critical collaborative communication, employees will leave the firms. This statement, therefore, supports the argument.

I feel as if the answers are faulty because you must assume extra information in order for them to be correct.

B does state that a hierarchical work environment obstructs cooperative exchange of ideas that the employees deem necessary for their work.

To me, this says that it helps them do their jobs more effectively, NOT that it keeps them from leaving the firm. There seems to be a gap in the argument there. How is it that without lack of "critical collaboration" leads to employees leaving firms? To me, lack of critical collaboration leads to inefficient work. It's a big step to say that inefficient work leads to employees quitting their jobs.

IF the answer choice explicitly stated that most computer industry workers felt deeply dissatisfied with their jobs if they could not collaborate with their coworkers, then yeah, B all the way.

In addition, B only talks about hierarchical work environments. Just because this is true of hierarchical work environments doesn't necessarily mean the opposite is true of non-hierarchical work environments. "Summit credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, nonhierarchical work environment." Logically, we're looking for something that says "ok, non-hierarchical work environments are GOOD!" to strengthen the argument.

Choosing answer choice B is like saying "my company is successful because we use a just-in-time inventory system" and using this to strengthen the argument:

"traditional inventory systems lack the precision we need."

We're saying "if A, then B" and supporting it by saying "not A, then not B."
How are we supposed to be convinced that "if A, then B" is really true or not? We only know about "not A," not "A."

Then again, if we chose D, we would have to make a couple assumptions as well. We would have to assume that dissatisfaction with jobs and disruption of group harmony will lead to employees leaving the firm. To me, this is smaller gap in the argument than saying "ineffective work" ==> "employees leaving the firm"

Conclusion: I hate the GMAT.[/b]
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 03:46
mr_sarn wrote:
B states that hierarchical work enviroment obstructs cooperative exchange of ideas that the employees deem necessary; thereby, companies are unable to retain them.

This is what I don't understand. How can you make the jump from "lack of cooperative exchange" to "companies unable to retain them?"

To me, there needs to be some explanation between those two statements, like:

"Lack of cooperative exchange" ==> "Dissatisfied employees" ==> "companies unable to retain them"

now THAT makes sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 04:49
plaguerabbit wrote:
mr_sarn wrote:
B states that hierarchical work enviroment obstructs cooperative exchange of ideas that the employees deem necessary; thereby, companies are unable to retain them.

This is what I don't understand. How can you make the jump from "lack of cooperative exchange" to "companies unable to retain them?"

To me, there needs to be some explanation between those two statements, like:

"Lack of cooperative exchange" ==> "Dissatisfied employees" ==> "companies unable to retain them"

now THAT makes sense.

I agree that the choices could have been better, but B is the best among the ones given. Others are totally wrong. that's why B.
  [#permalink] 08 Jun 2007, 04:49