Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most employees in the computer industry move from company to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Most employees in the computer industry move from company to [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 21:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:06) correct 31% (01:13) wrong based on 325 sessions
Most employees in the computer industry move from company to company, changing jobs several times in their careers. However, Summit Computers is known throughout the industry for retaining its employees. Summit credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, non hierarchical work environment.

Which of the following, if true,most strongly supports Summit's explanation of its success in retaining employees?
(A) Some people employed in the computer industry change jobs if they become bored with their current projects
(B) A hierarchical work environment hinders the cooperative exchange of ideas that computer industry employees consider necessary for their work
(C) Many of Summit's senior employees had previously worked at only one other computer company
(D) In a nonhierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs
(E) The cost of living near Summit is relatively low compared to areas in which some other computer companies are located

Correct me if I am wrong, but how can the "cooperative exchange of ideas" relate to job satisfaction. Moreover, how does "hindering the work" lead to employees leaving the company? It doesn't make sense. Statement (D) does this more clearly, as it actually has the word "dissatisfaction", and having one less assumption to make!
The explanation for (B) is "The statement properly identifies a point that strengthens the company's argument, relating the work environment to job satisfaction and therefore to employees' remaining at the company".
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2009, 23:29
This post received
KUDOS
mlsbbe wrote:
Most employees in the computer industry move from company to company, changing jobs several times in their careers. However, Summit Computers is known throughout the industry for retaining its employees. Summit credits its success in retaining employees to its informal, non hierarchical work environment.

Which of the following, if true,most strongly supports Summit's explanation of its success in retaining employees?

(A) Some people employed in the computer industry change jobs if they become bored with their current projects

(B) A hierarchical work environment hinders the cooperative exchange of ideas that computer industry employees consider necessary for their work

(C) Many of Summit's senior employees had previously worked at only one other computer company

(D) In a nonhierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs

(E) The cost of living near Summit is relatively low compared to areas in which some other computer companies are located

OA:
B

I chose (D). The explanation for (B) is "The statement properly identifies a point that strengthens the company's argument, relating the work environment to job satisfaction and therefore to employees' remaining at the company".

Correct me if I am wrong, but how can the "cooperative exchange of ideas" relate to job satisfaction. Moreover, how does "hindering the work" lead to employees leaving the company? It doesn't make sense. Statement (D) does this more clearly, as it actually has the word "dissatisfaction", and having one less assumption to make!

IMO B. Cooperative exchange of ideas might not diractly relate to job satisfaction but it is necessary for them to work.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 09:07
mlsbbe wrote:

OA:
B

I chose (D). The explanation for (B) is "The statement properly identifies a point that strengthens the company's argument, relating the work environment to job satisfaction and therefore to employees' remaining at the company".

Please remember that GMAT questions/options line of reasoning need not be TRUE in the real life also....
A -> if this were true, the conclusion would surely be weakened, since it would attribute the success not to informal nature and non-hierarchy
C -> Doesnt prove anything. Its like telling that since an employee has moved only one job, he wouldnt move from Summit
D -> Too much of magnanimity on the part of the employees, even if true, would atmost weaken the conclusion
E -> This again, like option A, weakens the argument by saying that there are other reasons for the Summits' ability to retain employees

This leaves only option B. And even B alone can be directly seen to support the argument.
Please let me know if this explanation helped....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 12:32
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but how can the "cooperative exchange of ideas" relate to job satisfaction. Moreover, how does "hindering the work" lead to employees leaving the company?
I didn't like B either but I still chose it. Here's why if you'll accept it. Cooperative exchanges of ideas relates to job satisfaction because "employees consider it necessary for their work." So it links a nonhierarchial work environment to job satisfaction but it somewhat leaves open the link between job satisfaction and employee retention. Therefore, I kept it as a possible and kept reading.

Quote:
In a nonhierarchical work environment, people avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony and thus avoid discussing with their colleagues any dissatisfaction they might have with their jobs

D is the other possible at least initially. It links a nonhierarchial environment with satisfaction which, I guess is linked to retention. But it does something else. It says that since people are in a nonhierarchial environment they aviod speaking of dissatisfaction. So their issues go unresolved. This would suggest that they are more likely to attrite in a nonhierarchial environment than a hierarchial- contending with Summit Computer's claim. And the question asks us for something that supports the claim that the environment of nonhierarchy helps retention. Does that answer your question? The other 3 choices don't come close to strengthening the assumption.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 12:42
mlsbbe wrote:

OA:
B

We agree that A,B,E - are out of scope.
Conclusion : Sumit's success is because of informal & non-hierarchical work environment.

We need to strengthen the C (that's what the Q is about)

D - it stressess more on "not discussing with colleagues". Look out for words such as threaten, dissatisfaction - these are negative words
B - something is neccessary for the success, which is no-hierarchy. This strengthen's the conclusion. Thus, is your best bet.

B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 08:50
OA should be B. Agree with the reasoning provided by hitman4683
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 9

Re: Please help. Wierd reasoning [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 09:37
By POE, B.

D: presence of Employee dissatisfaction is mentioned. So ruled out.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most employees in the computer industry move from company to [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:45
mlsbbe wrote:

Hey Guys, just checking this one out. So here I am again. Which one will strengthen the claim that an Informal, NH WE improves success at retaining employees?
Well clearly we have 2 contenders here, B and D I tried using the negation technique on this one, and guess what? Ouch, I didn't get the correct answer.
Let's go through the logical reasoning here.

So using negation technique:
In B - A hierachical WE does NOT hinder the cooperative exhange of ideas bla, bla, bla. Well if it does not hinder the exchange of ideas then will a nonhierachical WE do? Doesn't mean it has to. So I guess this took me nowhere
In D- In a NH work environment, people DO NOT avoid behavior that might threaten group harmony etc.. So I think this one if true would weaken the claim. So this must be the correct answer choice.

Nevertheless, I think I got it wrong. Wonder how? Any thoughts?
Experts please advice
Many thanks
Cheers
* Will be happy to throw some Kudos out there for any proper explanation on why this negation technique didn't quite work for this problem
J :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

Re: Most employees in the computer industry move from company to [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
@jldgr:

The question is a strengthen question, not an assumption question. So negation won't work :)

Option D is wrong because it actually weakens the argument. It implies that people can be dissatisfied in a non hierarchical which works exactly against the arguments conclusion.

Kudos if the post helped! :)

The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -H.W. Longfellow

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 268

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most employees in the computer industry move from company to [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 09:26
notrandom wrote:
@jldgr:

The question is a strengthen question, not an assumption question. So negation won't work :)

Option D is wrong because it actually weakens the argument. It implies that people can be dissatisfied in a non hierarchical which works exactly against the arguments conclusion.

Thanks a lot buddy, I guess I got too damn excited and tried to apply the negation technique to other questions but you are totally right and apologies to everyone for creating confusion.

Kudos for you!
Re: Most employees in the computer industry move from company to   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 09:26