Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most Frequently Occuring Questions Types

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Most Frequently Occuring Questions Types [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 10:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hi All,

The Critical Reasoning Bible suggests that if candidates are short on time they should invest in studying Weaken , Inference, Assumption, Strengthen and Resolve questions while putting the rest on the back burner.

Which leads me to my question ... to what extent do the above 5 question types contribute to the total number of CR questions on the test. I took the test twice and have done a few practice tests here and there ... but never really paid attention. What im trying to figure out is if I can still get a 700 taking the shortcut.

Thanks !

P.S : This is my first post =D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 79

Re: Most Frequently Occuring Questions Types [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 19:54
Welcome to GMAT Club, Oplusion!

While I think there's some value in thinking about different question types on CR, you won't get very far with those five types alone. If you take a look at, say, the first 10 CR questions in the official GMAT Verbal Review guide, only four of them fit neatly into the categories you mentioned. So even if we take an incredibly quick glance at some of the easiest official CR questions, it would seem that focusing exclusively on five question types might be a mistake.

More importantly, I think that an overly narrow "question type" approach to CR is a little bit flawed in general. Yes, you want to make sure that you understand the logic behind individual question types--that stuff is worth studying, at least to a degree. But at its heart, the GMAT is testing your ability to read with mind-numbing precision, and it's also testing your ability to apply very strict logic to the passages and answer choices.

Those are broad skills that some test-takers already possess before they touch a GMAT book, but others need to work hard at them over a long period of time. A "question type" approach can be a useful part of your GMAT studies, but it's rarely the solution to everything that may ail you on CR.

Can you get a 700 on the GMAT by focusing exclusively on those five question types? Well, if your skills are absolutely phenomenal in every other area of the test, then yes, you can get a 700 without putting effort into a broader range of CR questions. But if you aren't already blessed with bulletproof reading and reasoning and grammar and quant skills, then you probably want to avoid shortcuts if you're looking for a large GMAT score improvement.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: Most Frequently Occuring Questions Types   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2013, 19:54