Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 18:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates’ artistic training. This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s criticism of art schools?

The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world.

There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world.

The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields.

People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work.

Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 19:46
E for me..

It fills a critical gap in the argument..

If students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field, then we can argue that the lack of students entering an art related field has less to do with their own personal choice then the fact that the preperation provided was poor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 19:57
How about C?
The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields..

They are not serving their purpose...so "This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art"
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 20:10
gmacvik wrote:
How about C?
The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields..

They are not serving their purpose...so "This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art"

This looked tempting at first.. but my gut feeling was that it was a trap answer..

The purpose of the school may be to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in the art industry.. but do we know that the school is the reason for the lack of art students in the industry?

It does not tell us.. and ultimately leaves the argument open to other reasons being the cause..
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 20:38
I'll pick (C)

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 21:33
E 2
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 21:50
I will pick up C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 23:44
C for me 2

IE IMBA 2010

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 00:12
C
Liked gmacvik explanation
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 03:30
I too initially chose C, but I now follow the logic behind E. E is actually a stronger strengthener.

Let's consider C first

Granted that the purpose of art schools is to get students jobs and let's say for a moment the art schools MAY/OR MAY NOT be fulfilling their purpose - by doing whatever they can - however if the students choose NOT to carry on in this field and prefer ODD jobs instead, art schools can't do much about it and it would NOT be fair to blame them. So this choice has no bearing on the final outcome of whether students secure a job or not - on which the author's argument hinges.

E on the other hand says - students WANT a career BUT they are not able to get it. This casts the most singular doubt on the usefulness of the art schools in securing jobs for their students.

Negate E - students DON'T want a job in art field and the argument that the art schools are NOT doing their JOB falls apart.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 12:46
(E) is stronger than (C)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 13:33
mukeshnathani wrote:
(E) is stronger than (C)

C is OA. I think this question wouldn't fly in real GMAT. What dwivedys says is pricesly what I'm thinking:

Negate E - students DON'T want a job in art field and the argument that the art schools are NOT doing their JOB falls apart.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 17:33
Nsentra wrote:
mukeshnathani wrote:
(E) is stronger than (C)

C is OA. I think this question wouldn't fly in real GMAT. What dwivedys says is pricesly what I'm thinking:

What is the source?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2006, 18:14
amorica wrote:
Nsentra wrote:
mukeshnathani wrote:
(E) is stronger than (C)

What is the source?

Princeton Review 2007 online exam

here is it's explanation of E was:

"No. The students’ intentions aren’t the issue. We want to know if the art schools are preparing their students properly. "

Here is it's explanation for correct answer:

"Yes. If the purpose of art schools is to ensure that their students can find secure work as artists, the fact that the grads are having trouble indicates that the schools aren’t doing the job. "
  [#permalink] 30 Oct 2006, 18:14