Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strengthen-Art Schools [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 21:06
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strengthen-Art Schools [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 10:07
A: The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world - no effect on QS

B:There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world - this weakens the QS

C:The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields.
- the school is educating students to help them pursue in their respective (other) fields. This strengthens that yes, art schools are teaching students for other fields

D:People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work - no effect on QS

E:Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field - this again weakens, and is doing nothing to the criticism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 18:07
I understand why C looks like a good response to many respondents on this thread but that option contains an inherent leap in logic. Many reasons can account for students not getting jobs in art: based on that one premise in the stimulus, there is hardly anyway of putting the blame on that art schools just because they are not fulfilling their mandates of training students for art careers. Maybe the art schools are training students well, but the students bomb job interviews by showing up on interview day high as a kite :)

Might go with E. But overall, this is not a great CR question.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.  

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2012, 11:01
IanStewart wrote:
As I interpret the question, C is not at all a good answer here. Where does the OA come from?

The conclusion is that art schools are not preparing students for careers in art. That is, the conclusion is about what art schools *actually achieve*. Whether art schools are *trying* to train people for careers in art is irrelevant to what they actually *do*; intentions and results need not have any relationship. If I simplify the wording of the question, and insert answer choice C, I get:

Art school graduates are not getting jobs in the arts. The purpose of art schools is to train students for jobs in the arts. Therefore art schools are not successfully training students for jobs in the arts.

Inserting the second sentence does not change the argument in any way; the argument is just as successful if it is removed. Answer choice C would be a good answer if the conclusion was that art schools are not serving their purpose - we'd then need information about their purpose. But C does not strengthen the conclusion about career training. Whether art schools are trying to prepare students to work in the arts or to play backgammon, the conclusion can be just as true.

I'd add that the conclusion of the argument is open to different interpretations here, so I don't care for the wording of the question. If instead you interpret the conclusion as a general indictment of art schools - that is, you interpret it to mean 'art schools aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing' - then C is a more reasonable choice. But that's not how I interpret the question.

E is a much better answer. When reading just the stem, there's a perfectly plausible scenario that needs to be considered: perhaps art schools *are* doing a great job of preparing students for careers in the arts, but the students don't want those careers; maybe they do art as a hobby and they all want to be accountants. That is, the schools might not be to blame for the fact that their students don't choose a career in the arts. If that were the case, the criticism in the argument would be unfounded. We need to know here that the students actually *want* jobs in the arts -- if we know that the students *want* careers in art, and still can't get them after going to art school, then the art schools are truly failing to prepare these students for their chosen career. By addressing this issue, E strengthens the argument.

I'd add that one should ignore inessential differences in wording between the stem and an answer choice - you can't rule out E because it says 'earning their living' instead of 'making their careers'. Those phrases are synonymous.

If we think about E.. it could be that students want careers in art , art school does a good job , but the students are not good enough.

and

C is correct because

The purpose of art schools is to train students for jobs in the arts or have a career in arts. Art school graduates are not getting jobs in the arts. Therefore there is some serious doubt on how art schools are preparing students for a career in arts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 09:42
I'm not quite sure, but I think it is

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 106

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 09:43
I'm not quite sure, but I think it is C.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 06:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 18

Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 09:53
Premise: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates’ artistic training.

Conclusion: Art schools are not preparing their students well for careers in art.

In order to strengthen the conclusion, first look for any gaps between the stated premises and conclusion. Clearly, in the given argument, the so called gap is whether it is the job of art education system to make sure that the graduates of art field secure jobs in the same field. Otherwise, the education system cannot be criticized for graduates shifting to other fields to make their career. Now, the answer choice that strengthens the argument is the one that closes this gap. Choice C best meets our requirement.

If you look at choice E, it talks about the students' intention of earning their livings in the art field before attending schools. This choice tells nothing about the art education system and if the choice has anything to do, it weakens the argument. If the art education system is strong enough to provide jobs to graduates in art field, then there could be other reasons for students no longer having the intention of securing a job in art field and hence the art schools cannot be blamed.

Hope I made some sense. Thanks.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Those, who never do any more than they get paid for, never get paid for any more than they do"

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 16:55
heyholetsgo wrote:
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates’ artistic training. This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s criticism of art schools?

A: The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world.

B:There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world.

C:The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields.

D:People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work.

E:Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field.

I'm still having problems with these if true questions. What's wrong with E? Is there a good shortcut to get them right like the negation test for assumptions?

THX!

Close call between C and E

But in E ok so students attend with the intention of earning their livings in the art field. But what if they change their minds afterwards, it has nothing to do with the education recieved but more with their own decisions

That's why C is better

Hope it helps
Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 03:50
I think the main confusing here is "their" in answer C.

If "their" refers to students, then the best answer needs to be E. C will be out of sense.

In "their" refers to schools, then the best answer is indeed C. E will not be the best answer.

This question is wordy....

Think outside the box

Re: Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves   [#permalink] 30 Dec 2013, 03:50