Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 12:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates’ artistic training. This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s criticism of art schools?

A.The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world.
B.There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world.
C.The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields.
D.People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work.
E.Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Art students [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2004, 14:32
E.
C comes closer. education is to make students conversant with the art, not assuring jobs. E suggest that students want earn in the arts field, but the lack of education is making them look for some other jobs. This is what author is trying to say.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 09:13
Nope. It is C.

Read C again and you'll notice that - yep the school did not serve its intended purpose.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 10:10
yep. I guess the key here is secure jobs in their fields

E also strengthens the argument, but falls short infront of C

thanks! :oops:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 10:33
good question venksune. I had C at first but then dj made me doubt myself and switch to E. You then put me on the right track again. This is a tricky one.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Art students [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 11:14
venksune wrote:
Most graduates of art schools go on to support themselves with a variety of odd jobs that have little or nothing to do with the graduates’ artistic training. This has led to major doubts regarding how well the art schools are preparing their students for careers in art.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the author’s criticism of art schools?

A.The curricula of most art schools tend to reflect the needs of the art world.
B.There are some graduates of art schools who go on to careers within the art world.
C.The purpose of an art school education is to ensure that students will be able to secure jobs in their fields.
D.People who intend to earn their livings in the field of art choose to go to art school to increase the quality of their work.
E.Students attend art schools with the intention of earning their livings in the art field.

The reason I picked E is because...maybe the school does prepare them...but the student don't want to get art jobs...what then?
In this case, if the students want to get art jobs...the ony reason they are not getting them is cause they are not prepared for those jobs.

On the other hand with C, it ensures that students get secure jobs...but do the students want secure jobs. The assumption that students want to secure jobs is critical for this arugment...NO? anyone?

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Yoda

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 11:32
The key words here is "in their field"
If students do not want jobs in their field, then what is the point of blaming art schools for their students who end up working in other fields?

E, even though art school graduates do not want to earn their living working in other fields, it leaves open the possibility that they can still work in other field to support themselves temporarily and would thus not be a strong point supporting the author's criticism

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Art students [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 12:23
Very nice Q
Got C ... but took me 3 mins to decide between C and E
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2004, 12:46
now, I think that E is simply out of scope.
why should the author care why students join art colleges (what's the intention?)? they may come there for anything...weird thought. huh! The real point is whether colleges deem the responsibility of churning out the best and making the students self-reliant to fetch the job in the "art-jobs" market.

I hale C :wink:
  [#permalink] 20 Sep 2004, 12:46