Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most important aspect of application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Most important aspect of application

• 24% [41]
  • 5% [9]
  • 25% [43]
  • 1% [3]
  • 34% [58]
  • 1% [2]
  • 2% [5]
  • 3% [6]
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 19:17
Vips0000 wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Lot of stuff..

Hey dude. That's a bit off the topic..

My question is, is there a component of application that is most important or that can't be compensated by other factors...not on how to improve chances...

The first half of my post did answer your question, but the later half was a bonus answer as it was essential to conclude.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 21:00
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

The closest thing to the profile you mentioned was a girl with 700 GMAT and 3 years of IT Consulting experience(requirements gathering etc) who was admitted to Darden. Some schools weigh GMAT heavily. Couple of Indians with 710 were told (by 2 Top 10 schools) that their profile was otherwise good but they need to improve their GMAT.

Another problem with Indians is that every profile looks same. Hence some guys lie through their teeth in essays/work experience. An example of an accepted candidate:

Saved 60 million $ for IT Services company (this guy had overall 4-5 years of experience). Partners at these firms hardly save that much money, whereas a developer can.

Totally agree.. One of my senior.. From same college.. From same company and even from same project got through tuck while I dint even get an invite for interview for ross and duke.. The fact is that he got the first promotion after 5 yrs when I got in 2.5 yrs.. But when I see his LinkedIn profile I know what kind of lies he had put in his application.. Sad that I don't have guts to lie through my teeth...

Haha.. I guess that was what got Raj Rajarathinam into Wharton but then again it was the same reason that got him rich as well.. :P

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 12:07
jumsumtak wrote:
I love to express when there are no correct answers!

I voted for work/ex and company brand for the following reasons:

1.) Most of the factors that you mentioned, directly or indirectly are 'based' on your work history. You are nothing without the work you have done. Your essays, recos, interviews etc. are, primarily, a derived factor of your resume.
2.) I will put my faith in a person from McK than in a person who says he is brilliant but does not have a brand backing. And I'm sure so will the adcom. The person from McK has already been selected out of a competitive pool, has worked with the best minds, has worked on the best projects and frankly, brings a LOT more to the table.
3.) Your GMAT essentially explains your ability to do well on a standardized test. It can keep you out, but does not guarantee admissions. And the fact that most of the qualified candidates do get a good score (the ethic made them a strong candidate in the first place), does not make the GMAT very important when we talk about the M7s. Having said that, obviously a 99% goes a long way in saying that you are very serious about your MBA.
4.) I sometimes feel the essays are over-rated. I haven't seen a lot of candidates without extra ordinary credits get into a big school. That only explains that essays are a medium to explain what you have already achieved in your past life. There are few qualified and sane candidates, who outright screw their essays.
They are obviously very useful when you are comparing similar qualified candidates - but, again, we are assuming that both have an exceptional work history, which makes the essays sort of a 'tie-breaker'.

5.) I look at the work history as a long process, drawn out over the 5-6 years of one's career. I think its a much better indicator of the pedigree than the GMAT - that's written in a day (and prepared over 3 months) and essays, which might have consultant's input - not saying it is wrong to use them :)

Anyone may rip apart the above points because they generalize a lot of things. But, in essence, this is what I've gathered till now!

This comes from someone who does have a 99% GMAT, but is still skeptical of his chances! :)

Your reply scares me a bit! :(

I'll share my profile so far.

I am from Bangladesh.
Male
Undergrad major - Finance
GPA is very good. (Top 8% of the class from the top local business school)
GMAT - no score yet.
WE - 1 year at a local commercial bank (planning to matriculate in 2014, so I'll have 2 years of experience)
ECA - Good. (Charity work and volunteering)

Problem is, the adcom members wont recognize my employer (although my employer is the 8th largest local company in terms of market cap). Also, I am concerned that I'll be placed in the "Indian-male-IT" bucket.

Do you think employer's brand name is as important for international students? Will that severely hamper my chances to get into a top 10 school?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 20:38
onion253 wrote:
I'll share my profile so far.
Do you think employer's brand name is as important for international students? Will that severely hamper my chances to get into a top 10 school?

there is a forum dedicated to profile evaluation by admission consultants. Try that.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Current Student

Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2013, 20:42
MacFauz wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

The closest thing to the profile you mentioned was a girl with 700 GMAT and 3 years of IT Consulting experience(requirements gathering etc) who was admitted to Darden. Some schools weigh GMAT heavily. Couple of Indians with 710 were told (by 2 Top 10 schools) that their profile was otherwise good but they need to improve their GMAT.

Another problem with Indians is that every profile looks same. Hence some guys lie through their teeth in essays/work experience. An example of an accepted candidate:

Saved 60 million $ for IT Services company (this guy had overall 4-5 years of experience). Partners at these firms hardly save that much money, whereas a developer can.

Totally agree.. One of my senior.. From same college.. From same company and even from same project got through tuck while I dint even get an invite for interview for ross and duke.. The fact is that he got the first promotion after 5 yrs when I got in 2.5 yrs.. But when I see his LinkedIn profile I know what kind of lies he had put in his application.. Sad that I don't have guts to lie through my teeth...

Haha.. I guess that was what got Raj Rajarathinam into Wharton but then again it was the same reason that got him rich as well.. :P

Well.. Both of these (getting into Wharton and getting rich) are very tempting... But the end of raj rajarathnam's story is not :roll:

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 18:00
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

Oh it's not sad at all. I'd rather get in through my own achievements than lie about my work ex or make up 'non-profits'. After all, the quality of your work ex is what you make of it. If you don't introspect, then even a $60M savings thing doesn't add value to the resume. Just sounds like you're 'keeping up with the Jones'. I'm sure the adcom would think the same way.

My MBA application journey, one step at a time https://spoonfulofmba.wordpress.com

Current Student

Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 21:42
Prudence wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

Oh it's not sad at all. I'd rather get in through my own achievements than lie about my work ex or make up 'non-profits'. After all, the quality of your work ex is what you make of it. If you don't introspect, then even a $60M savings thing doesn't add value to the resume. Just sounds like you're 'keeping up with the Jones'. I'm sure the adcom would think the same way.

Not sure if the adcoms can smell the fish (or rat or this guy or whatever)...but still banking on own achievements.. and writing...writing.. and writing..
and with the results so far- buckling up for the next season..

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 01:09
Vips0000 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Vips,

Well.. Both of these (getting into Wharton and getting rich) are very tempting... But the end of raj rajarathnam's story is not :roll:

And hence the reason I cited his name.. :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Most important aspect of application   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 01:09