Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Most important aspect of application

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Most important aspect of application [#permalink]
onion253 wrote:
I'll share my profile so far.
Do you think employer's brand name is as important for international students? Will that severely hamper my chances to get into a top 10 school?

there is a forum dedicated to profile evaluation by admission consultants. Try that.
Current Student
Send PM
MacFauz wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

The closest thing to the profile you mentioned was a girl with 700 GMAT and 3 years of IT Consulting experience(requirements gathering etc) who was admitted to Darden. Some schools weigh GMAT heavily. Couple of Indians with 710 were told (by 2 Top 10 schools) that their profile was otherwise good but they need to improve their GMAT.

Another problem with Indians is that every profile looks same. Hence some guys lie through their teeth in essays/work experience. An example of an accepted candidate:

Saved 60 million $ for IT Services company (this guy had overall 4-5 years of experience). Partners at these firms hardly save that much money, whereas a developer can.

Totally agree.. One of my senior.. From same college.. From same company and even from same project got through tuck while I dint even get an invite for interview for ross and duke.. The fact is that he got the first promotion after 5 yrs when I got in 2.5 yrs.. But when I see his LinkedIn profile I know what kind of lies he had put in his application.. Sad that I don't have guts to lie through my teeth...

Haha.. I guess that was what got Raj Rajarathinam into Wharton but then again it was the same reason that got him rich as well.. :P

Well.. Both of these (getting into Wharton and getting rich) are very tempting... But the end of raj rajarathnam's story is not :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

The closest thing to the profile you mentioned was a girl with 700 GMAT and 3 years of IT Consulting experience(requirements gathering etc) who was admitted to Darden. Some schools weigh GMAT heavily. Couple of Indians with 710 were told (by 2 Top 10 schools) that their profile was otherwise good but they need to improve their GMAT.

Another problem with Indians is that every profile looks same. Hence some guys lie through their teeth in essays/work experience. An example of an accepted candidate:

Saved 60 million $ for IT Services company (this guy had overall 4-5 years of experience). Partners at these firms hardly save that much money, whereas a developer can.

Totally agree.. One of my senior.. From same college.. From same company and even from same project got through tuck while I dint even get an invite for interview for ross and duke.. The fact is that he got the first promotion after 5 yrs when I got in 2.5 yrs.. But when I see his LinkedIn profile I know what kind of lies he had put in his application.. Sad that I don't have guts to lie through my teeth...

Oh it's not sad at all. I'd rather get in through my own achievements than lie about my work ex or make up 'non-profits'. After all, the quality of your work ex is what you make of it. If you don't introspect, then even a $60M savings thing doesn't add value to the resume. Just sounds like you're 'keeping up with the Jones'. I'm sure the adcom would think the same way.
Current Student
Send PM
Prudence wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Vips,

Oh it's not sad at all. I'd rather get in through my own achievements than lie about my work ex or make up 'non-profits'. After all, the quality of your work ex is what you make of it. If you don't introspect, then even a $60M savings thing doesn't add value to the resume. Just sounds like you're 'keeping up with the Jones'. I'm sure the adcom would think the same way.

Not sure if the adcoms can smell the fish (or rat or this guy or whatever)...but still banking on own achievements.. and writing...writing.. and writing..
and with the results so far- buckling up for the next season..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3117 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Vips0000 wrote:
MacFauz wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Vips,

Haha.. I guess that was what got Raj Rajarathinam into Wharton but then again it was the same reason that got him rich as well.. :P
Well.. Both of these (getting into Wharton and getting rich) are very tempting... But the end of raj rajarathnam's story is not :roll:

And hence the reason I cited his name.. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3