Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most insomnia is not an illness or a physical condition so

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Most insomnia is not an illness or a physical condition so [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 21:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

52% (01:53) correct 48% (01:06) wrong based on 34 sessions
Most insomnia is not an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

A. an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications
B. an illness or a physical condition so much as symptomatic of another problem that may be a simple one, like a reaction caused by certain medications
C. so much an illness or a physical condition but a symptom of another problem that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction
D. so much an illness or a physical condition, but it is a symptom of another problem, maybe a simple one like certain medications causing a reaction
E. so much an illness or a physical condition but symptomatic of another problem, maybe simply a reaction to certain medications

OA lateR~~ :?

The only thing that matters is what you believe.

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 325

Kudos [?]: 695 [1] , given: 11

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Kaja,

It's actually about how the meaning changes based on the change in the modifier:

A. an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications

PROBLEM: The modifier here is the relative clause starting with "that." It's modifying "problem". But the problem is not "a reaction to certain medications...". That's supposed to be an example of a similar problem, not the problem itself.

C. so much an illness or a physical condition but a symptom of another problem that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction

ANSWER: See how here, the clause modifying "problem" is COMPARING the problem to these other issues, instead of equating them? That's what we want.

Hope that makes sense!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

1 KUDOS received

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Kaja et. al.,

Okay. I take full blame for this. My first response up top, was just in response to your one question, and I'm still right there.

But looking at A and C, I disagree with myself passionately. I think the answer needs to be A. You can't say "not so much X but Y." The idiom is "not so much X as Y." This is enough to choose A. Beyond that, even though A has a lot of wacky wording (I should add I don't like this question at all), the "when" in C is a problem (not from a parallelism perspective, but general meaning).

So I apologize to everyone. The answer has to be A.

-t

1 KUDOS received

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Oh, and Munda, that's not quite right. You're thinking of SUBJECT-VERB AGREEMENT. The main subject of a sentence will never be within any modifier (prepositional phrase, participial phrase, etc.). However, part of a prepositional phrase can ABSOLUTELY be modified. Both of these sentences are correct.

The King of France, who makes fantastic cheese, is handsome.

The King of France, where I was born, is beautiful.

It's just a meaning issue, really. If there's ambiguity, it will be wrong.

-t

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 22:03
freetheking wrote:
Most insomnia is not an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

B. an illness or a physical condition so much as symptomatic of another problem that may be a simple one, like a reaction caused by certain medications
D. so much an illness or a physical condition, but it is a symptom of another problem, maybe a simple one like certain medications causing a reaction
E. so much an illness or a physical condition but symptomatic of another problem, maybe simply a reaction to certain medications

OA lateR~~ :?

It's C.

Most insomnia is not so much an illness or a physical condition but a symptom of another problem that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

Regards,
Brajesh
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2006, 22:41
shahnandan wrote:
what about A ?

What "so much" is referring to??? Also its not ||.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 04:21
not so much X, but Y~ is idiomatic.

Among C, D, and E, only C correctly uses a parallel noun comparison

an illness...a symptom

(C) is our winner.

1:02

Last edited by GMATT73 on 15 Jul 2006, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 16:28
good one. I got stumped. A seems to use the idiom incorrectly:

not A so much B
whereas it should be
not so much A but B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2006, 17:48
insomnia(illness) = symptom?
is it OK to say "illness is a symptom"?

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2006, 22:29
I think C is not ||

Consider this

that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

Clearly the above sentence is not ||.

I am inclined towards E.
Its || and uses the so much A but B structure clearly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2006, 22:37
jaynayak wrote:
I think C is not ||

Consider this

that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview.

Clearly the above sentence is not ||.

I am inclined towards E.
Its || and uses the so much A but B structure clearly.

OA is E..

still don't get it.. :crying

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2006, 07:20
E it is,

Can't be C since the use of the phrase 'that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction, anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview. ' is awkward and not parallel.

Not A because, 'so much' is misplaced.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2006, 07:40
I picked C as well... for the idiom and ||sm

in E symptomatic is an adjective, how can it be || to a noun illness :?

i don't get GMAT's logic sometimes... they ask for one thing and answer with another :x
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2006, 08:21
Very Good Problem -

E is the only choice that retains both the idiomatic usage of Not so X but Y
and the correct parallelism cf -

reaction to certain medications,

anxiety about travel, or

stress before a job interview.

All three phrases are parallel noun phrases.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 08:13
Can the "not so much ...as...", be "not....so much as"?

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 11

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 15:52
Hey Kaja,

As far as I know, yes.

-t

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2010, 21:55
Idiom NOT X BUT Y - X & Y need to be parallel.

A. an illness or a physical condition so much as a symptom of another problem that may simply be a reaction to certain medications - BUT is missing
B. an illness or a physical condition so much as symptomatic of another problem that may be a simple one, like a reaction caused by certain medications - BUT is missing
C. so much an illness or a physical condition but a symptom of another problem that may be as simple as when certain medications cause a reaction - illness - symptom are parallel
D. so much an illness or a physical condition, but it is a symptom of another problem, maybe a simple one like certain medications causing a reaction - illness - it is an illness - not parallel
E. so much an illness or a physical condition but symptomatic of another problem, maybe simply a reaction to certain medications - illness - symptomatic - not parallel
Answer - C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:39
I would go with C, E sounds awkward.

Why must my ear always deceive me?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 17:29
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Kaja,

It's actually about how the meaning changes based on the change in the modifier:

PROBLEM: The modifier here is the relative clause starting with "that." It's modifying "problem". But the problem is not "a reaction to certain medications...". That's supposed to be an example of a similar problem, not the problem itself.

ANSWER: See how here, the clause modifying "problem" is COMPARING the problem to these other issues, instead of equating them? That's what we want.

Hope that makes sense!

-t

hi!well....
about A
I think the that clause in choice A could modify "symptom" , as we can hardly break "of another problem" from"a symptom" I mean, if we wanna have a clause modify another sysptom, we can just put it right after "another problem", is it true?
But i agree that readers may think that clause is modifying "problem", where a little ambiguity raised,but we cannot help it.

about C
the when clause is not parallel with the non-underlined part,(anxiety ....,and stress from ....) is this a good choice?

about E
the problem of C is fixed in this choice, however, "systomatic of" is not parallel with "illness"........

Seems every choice has imperfection....which can we tolerate?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC : Insomnia [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 04:17
Kaja wrote:
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Kaja,

Hope that makes sense!

-t

hi!well....
about A
I think the that clause in choice A could modify "symptom" , as we can hardly break "of another problem" from"a symptom" I mean, if we wanna have a clause modify another sysptom, we can just put it right after "another problem", is it true?
But i agree that readers may think that clause is modifying "problem", where a little ambiguity raised,but we cannot help it.

about C
the when clause is not parallel with the non-underlined part,(anxiety ....,and stress from ....) is this a good choice?

about E
the problem of C is fixed in this choice, however, "systomatic of" is not parallel with "illness"........

Seems every choice has imperfection....which can we tolerate?

Hi Tommy can u please answer Kaja's question on the logic behind questiob C as "medication cause a reaction " is followed by ", anxiety about travel, or stress before a job interview."

Kaja brings up the question of ambiguity over whether the "that clause modifies symptom or problem
but i have read that the subject of the verb in a sentence (in this case "be" in that clause) can never be an element in a prepositional phrase.
so "problem" in "of a problem" can not be the subject of "be".

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Re: SC : Insomnia   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 04:17