Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 292 [1] , given: 20

Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 01:55
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (03:02) correct 33% (01:37) wrong based on 47 sessions
Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit date from the seventh through the
second centuries B.C. and are Etruscan or Greek, many
from the period when the Greeks colonized
the southern half of the Italian peninsula.

A. exhibit date from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. and are Etruscan or Greek, many
B. exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many
C. exhibit from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. are Etruscan or Greek, of which many are
D. exhibit, from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many
E. exhibit, which dates from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
not B, C, or D

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 717 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
Lol.. Would be really embarassing if I got this one wrong. But I went with A. The modifier in all the other choices wrongly modify the exhibit rather than the archaeological treasures.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 04:53
yeaH +1 for A, "which dates" is clearly wrong in E.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 05:52
My guess is A. Others seem to incorrectly modify exhibit.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 22:00
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit date from the seventh through the

A. exhibit date from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. and are Etruscan or Greek, many
B. exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many
C. exhibit from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. are Etruscan or Greek, of which many are
D. exhibit, from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many
E. exhibit, which dates from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many

A. exhibit date from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. and are Etruscan or Greek, many Correct IMO. "many from the period when the Greeks colonized the southern half of the Italian peninsula" correctly modies "most of the archaelogical treasures " in the preceding clause.
B. exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many Two mistakes.i) treats "exhibit" as plural ii) "Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C" implies that only the greek treasures are from those centuries.
C. exhibit from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. are Etruscan or Greek, of which many are Again two mistakes i)as if the particular exhibit belongs to different centuries. Illogical ii) "which" incorrectly modifies only "greek".This "of which" phrase should be placed next to "most of the archaelogical treasures".
D. exhibit, from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many Undermines the second part.
E. exhibit, which dates from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many Though grammatically and logically correct but the clause starting from "many...." ambigously talks about either the same group or the different group.
[/quote]
IMO A.
Whats the OA and the source?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 23:25
gmatbull wrote:

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
not B, C, or D

I have a different take on this.
A Incorrect. The second part of the sentence is an independent clause and connected without proper connector.
B. Incorrect. refers to exhibit
C Incorrect. Changes the meaning (treasures out of the unusual exhibit-forms a sub group).
D Correct
E Same as B
OA please
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 23:26
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

A. exhibit date from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. and are Etruscan or Greek, many Correct IMO. "many from the period when the Greeks colonized the southern half of the Italian peninsula" correctly modies "most of the archaelogical treasures " in the preceding clause.
B. exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many Two mistakes.i) treats "exhibit" as plural ii) "Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C" implies that only the greek treasures are from those centuries.
C. exhibit from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. are Etruscan or Greek, of which many are Again two mistakes i)as if the particular exhibit belongs to different centuries. Illogical ii) "which" incorrectly modifies only "greek".This "of which" phrase should be placed next to "most of the archaelogical treasures".
D. exhibit, from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many Undermines the second part.
E. exhibit, which dates from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., are Etruscan or Greek and many Though grammatically and logically correct but the clause starting from "many...." ambigously talks about either the same group or the different group.

IMO A.
Whats the OA and the source?[/quote]

Just wanted to highlight that and is used to connect equal elements and not subordinators. Hence the second part is equal to the 1st sentence.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 01:21
Expert's post
davidfrank wrote:
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

IMO A.

Just wanted to highlight that and is used to connect equal elements and not subordinators. Hence the second part is equal to the 1st sentence.[/quote]

hii.
Yes you are absolutely correct in that AND is used to connect the equal elements but my second part meant "from the seventh......B.C". In D, this phrases acts as a modifier and hence not being given equal importance.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 37

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 19:34
The exhibit doesn't date from a time period but the present, so and C and E are out. B is out for sounding odd and seemingly modifying exhibit. So it's A or D.

I'm going to pick A here.
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 98 [0], given: 31

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 01:52
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

IMO A.
Whats the OA and the source?[/quote]

Hi Marcab!!

In choice E, you stated it is logically correct but I think ",Which dates" modifies exhibit while it should modify treasures. Am I getting it wrong??

Thanks!!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 20

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 02:52
Vineetk wrote:
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

IMO A.

Hi Marcab!!

In choice E, you stated it is logically correct but I think ",Which dates" modifies exhibit while it should modify treasures. Am I getting it wrong??

Thanks!!

I also 2nd that E doesn't look logical.
Most of = plural; THIS unusual exhibit = singular.
IMO, "Most of the archaeological treasures in THIS unusual exhibit, which dates from the 7th through the 2nd " is illogical.
"THIS unusual exhibit" is in the present and cannot date from 7th through 2nd century, even though "dateS" grammatically refers to "exhibit"

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 292 [0], given: 20

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:04
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual
exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many
from the period when the Greeks colonized the southern half of the Italian peninsula.
B is structurally similar to: X's in Y, which ARE....... where X is plural and Y is singular. i think it's logically ok
The verb "ARE" can modify either X or Y provided there is no ambiguity.
What do you think, Marcab?

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:10
Expert's post
gmatbull wrote:
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual
exhibit, which are Etruscan or Greek from the seventh through the second centuries B.C., include many
from the period when the Greeks colonized the southern half of the Italian peninsula.
B is structurally similar to: X's in Y, which ARE....... where X is plural and Y is singular. i think it's logically ok
The verb "ARE" can modify either X or Y provided there is no ambiguity.
What do you think, Marcab?

GMATBULL and Marcab are two members in a club, which was established by BB.
Is it clear now.
Moreover the context you are talking about is "of" construction.
ex- The two boxes of nails, which was kept on the table, are brown in colour

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 03:35
Expert's post
Vineetk wrote:
Marcab wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

IMO A.

Hi Marcab!!

Thanks!!
[/quote]

Hi vineet.
Honestly speaking, that depends on the exhibit itself. If it is capable of surviving several centuries, then the sentence is absolutely correct. "Which" is modifying exhibit itself?
Regarding your question that it should modify treasures, ask yourself "How do you know that it should modify tresures?". If it is by intended meaning, trust me, then there is no such thing. If you feel the sentence is logical then it may be correct provided that it is at match with the rest of the context.
By the way, thank for pointing that out. This E is logically incorrect, in addition to the ambiguity error at the last.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2012, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The problem with B is the distorted meaning in the modifier starting with' which'. …………, implying that they are Etruscan or Greek only from the seventh through the second centuries B.C. This is not the grain of the original. What happed to the exhibits after the 2nd century B.C? Are they not any more Etruscan or Greek? The text means that the treasures date from a certain period and to certain period and they happen to be Etruscan or Greek.
I hope one can see the significance difference in meaning.

In C, there is no comma between exhibit and from, implying that the prepositional modifier starting with ----from …. Blah, blah –--- modifies the exhibit. In that case the logical question is, whether the exhibit is being carried over from the 7th to 2nd century BC? It can’t be.

D and E have a fatal error. Here the fanboy conjunction- and – is used a co-coordinator. It is connecting a clause first and then the second part after the ‘and’ is simply a phrase without a working verb. This is untenable.

So A must be the choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Statistics, International Business
Schools: Fuqua, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 12-02-2013
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 39

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2013, 11:07
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 07:04
I am going in with A here. Others have wrong modifiers or incorrect/illogical construction. I guess OA is also A here.

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Re: Most of the archaeological treasures in this unusual exhibit   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2013, 07:04