Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [2] , given: 13

Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

33% (02:33) correct 67% (01:52) wrong based on 166 sessions
Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used to cool the plant, in wastelands or dried up rivers. Central water research institute, which monitors underground water quality for its consistency, report that uranium makes up for an ever increasing percentage of water pollutants in samples the institute collect. Hence, the efforts to decrease the amount of uranium in waste water that power plants dispose without treating are yielding no results.

Which of the following statements most seriously weakens the argument.

a.)The government has already spent millions of $$ to check contamination of ground water by uranium.
b.)The powerplants are now switching to better technologies which result in almost negligible uranium waste.
c.)With the application of various governement initatives to check water pollution,the proportion of major water pollutants such as arsenic, fluorides which used to be reported earlier has been considerably reduced.
d.)While the percentage of power produced by power plants has increased, the amount of uranium used is unchanged.
e.)Because uranium is radioactive in nature,most of the power plants are using certain technologies that can control and limit uranium's radioactivity.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 07:42
conty911 wrote:
Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used to cool the plant, in wastelands or dried up rivers. Central water research institute, which monitors underground water quality for its consistency, report that uranium makes up for an ever increasing percentage of water pollutants in samples the institute collect. Hence, the efforts to decrease the amount of uranium in waste water that power plants dispose without treating are yielding no results.

a.)The government has already spent millions of $$ to check contamination of ground water by uranium.
b.)The powerplants are now switching to better technologies which result in almost negligible uranium waste.
c.)With the application of various governement initatives to check water pollution,the proportion of major water pollutants such as arsenic, fluorides which used to be reported earlier has been considerably reduced.
d.)While the percentage of power produced by power plants has increased, the amount of uranium used is unchanged.
e.)Because uranium is radioactive in nature,most of the power plants are using certain technologies that can control and limit uranium's radioactivity.

As the highlighted part states that uranium is ever increasing; and the last line is that efforts to decrease uranium are failing. The best way to weaken this would be to prove that efforts are not failing and the reason that Uranium has increased in percentage is that other pollutants have decreased. Therefore answer is C

We are weakening it by providing an alternative reason to the conclusion.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 11

Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 20:05
conty911 wrote:

a.)The government has already spent millions of $$ to check contamination of ground water by uranium. -> doesnt matter what govt has already spent.
b.)The powerplants are now switching to better technologies which result in almost negligible uranium waste - I found this a good contender but then it says the efforts have reduced after what power plants dispose off, without treating.
c.)With the application of various governement initatives to check water pollution,the proportion of major water pollutants such as arsenic, fluorides which used to be reported earlier has been considerably reduced.- gives an alternate route to understand why the % of uranium has increased ( this is because all other pollutants have reduced )
d.)While the percentage of power produced by power plants has increased, the amount of uranium used is unchanged. - doesn't give us anything substantial
e.)Because uranium is radioactive in nature,most of the power plants are using certain technologies that can control and limit uranium's radioactivity. - out of scope literally !

I went for B initially but then on reading the question again I came down the correct choice C.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 282

Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:02
I still think B is the ans. How can C weaken the arguement.?? Can anyone explain.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 11

Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:20
This post received
KUDOS
rajathpanta wrote:
I still think B is the ans. How can C weaken the arguement.?? Can anyone explain.

Hey, we need not worry that power factories are now switching to better methods to reduce uranium waste.
The stem talks about those factories, which produce waste without treating and what measures do govt take to reduce the % of uranium among the pollutants?

Make sense?

You want something, go get it . Period !

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 269

CAT Tests
Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 02:33
This post received
KUDOS
+1 C

Premise - Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used to cool the plant, in wastelands or dried up rivers. Central water research institute, which monitors underground water quality for its consistency, report that uranium makes up for an ever increasing percentage of water pollutants in samples the institute collect

Conclusion - Hence, the efforts to decrease the amount of uranium in waste water that power plants dispose without treating are yielding no results.

Anything which weakens the conclusion is our answer i.e anything which proves that the efforts are yielding results is our answer

a.)The government has already spent millions of $$ to check contamination of ground water by uranium. (Irrelevant)
b.)The power plants are now switching to better technologies which result in almost negligible uranium waste. (Not related to governments effort)
c.)With the application of various government initiatives to check water pollution, the proportion of major water pollutants such as arsenic, fluorides which used to be reported earlier has been considerably reduced. (Percentage problem, this clearly shows that other contaminants has decreased because of governemnt initiatives and the uranium content remained the same, thus showing an increase in the overall uranium content. This is our answer)
d.)While the percentage of power produced by power plants has increased, the amount of uranium used is unchanged. (Irrelevant, nothing is given to relate the efficiency to population)
e.)Because uranium is radioactive in nature, most of the power plants are using certain technologies that can control and limit uranium's radioactivity. (Not related to governments effort)

:-D

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1075

Kudos [?]: 4792 [5] , given: 163

Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 04:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rajathpanta wrote:

Report says that uranium makes up for an ever increasing percentage of water pollutants (i.e. the % of uranium in the total amount of pollutants is increasing). Note here that it doesn't say that % of uranium in water samples is increasing.
e.g. if uranium made up 2% of the total pollutants before, it now makes up 3% of the total pollutants.
What is happening to the % of total pollutants in the water is not known.

Conclusion: Efforts to decrease the amount of uranium are not working.

We want to weaken the conclusion i.e. we want to show that the efforts could be working.

Option (C) says that the proportion of other major water pollutants is decreasing. This could explain the increase in the proportion of uranium in the pollutants.

Think of values to understand this:

Say, % of total pollutants in the water sample is 5% i.e. in 100 lts of water, there's 5 lts of pollutants.
The 5 lt is made up of uranium, arsenic etc. Say, uranium is 1 lt and the others are 4 lts i.e. uranium is 20% of the total pollutants.
Now what if the amount of other pollutants go down from 4lts to 1 lt due to govt's efforts and amount of uranium goes down from 1 lt to 0.5 lt. The proportion of uranium has gone up to 33% of the total pollutants.
Even though proportion of uranium has increased, the efforts are working since the amount of uranium pollutant went down. Hence we have weakened the conclusion.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 10:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Most of the power plants dispose of their waste water, used   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2014, 10:39