Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 10:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 10:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:39) correct 24% (00:42) wrong based on 50 sessions
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

A. comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that
B. comes from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards, S

Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 Jun 2013, 06:57, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 10:20
Most is countable. We need a plural verb.
C. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and
###found....and inhibit -> not correct
D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that ...inhibit
###parallel and correct
E. come from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C, and they
###unclear referent

D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 10:26
Agree on D but the explanation is not quite right. It is not because "most" is countable that you would have a plural verb. Instead, it is "most" is one of those words that will have a plural/singular verb depending on the object of the preposition. You can refer to the SC sticky which I recently explained in the forum.
I'll give you two examples:

1- Most of the pie is eaten --> singular verb because object of the preposition "pie" is singular
2- Most of the benefits are excellent --> plural verb because object of the preposition "benefits" is plural

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 10:33
Yes, I wanted to say
Most is with a plural object :)
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 14:47
(D)

Paul's Explaination
+ Absolute phrase (Noun + Modifier).

-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and (compounds) that inhibit....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 14:57
Isn't 'they' in 'E' referring to antioxidants because the "-" sets the others apart from antioxidants.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 15:11
jpv wrote:
(D)

Paul's Explaination
+ Absolute phrase (Noun + Modifier).

-compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and (compounds) that inhibit....

jpv, can u explain which one is absolute phrase by bf'ing the noun and modifier parts...thx....if the above sentence i.e. between "-" is the absolute phrase shudn't it have NO verb, in D u have "are". So I think ans shud be "E"
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 15:56
banerjeea_98 wrote:
jpv, can u explain which one is absolute phrase by bf'ing the noun and modifier parts...thx....if the above sentence i.e. between "-" is the absolute phrase shudn't it have NO verb, in D u have "are". So I think ans shud be "E"

Anatomy:
Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

Main Clause: Most of the purported health benefits of tea come from antioxidants.
Abs Phrase 1: compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C
Abs Phrase 2: (compounds) that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

Abs Phrase 1 and Abs Phrase 2 are in Parallel (joined by "and").

banerjeea_98 wrote:
between "-" is the absolute phrase shudn't it have NO verb, in D u have "are". So I think ans shud be "E"

Actual Sentence Construction for Absolute modifier should be sth like this:
Main Clause, Noun + Modifier.

Here u are confusing a Modifier with an Independent Clause.

What u r confusing with is:
Main Clause, Noun + Verb + Whatever

I hope my understanding is correct.
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 16:03
hmmm....what I was trying to say that isn't "are" in ur Abs Phrase 1 a "finite verb"....in Abs phrases u can't have a finite verb, that's where my confusion lies that's why I picked "E" becose there u don't have "are" as verb. Plz correct me if my understaing is wrong abt Abs phrase
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 16:09
banerjeea_98 wrote:
hmmm....what I was trying to say that isn't "are" in ur Abs Phrase 1 a "finite verb"....in Abs phrases u can't have a finite verb, that's where my confusion lies that's why I picked "E" becose there u don't have "are" as verb. Plz correct me if my understaing is wrong abt Abs phrase

I will say it is the other way round. Choice (E) has a Verb (found) associated with Noun (Compounds) and thus creates a Run-on Sentence.
See basic fact is that, in Abs Phr, Noun should not be directly attached to any verb but the Modifiers can.
Are u still confused?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 16:12
Note the difference in below portion:

..compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin
..compounds are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin (this is what u r saying)
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 16:16
jpv wrote:
jpv wrote:
I will say it is the other way round. Choice (E) has a Verb (found) associated with Noun (Compounds) and thus creates a Run-on Sentence.

I am sorry. this is wrong.

but in (E), the other part "they are.." is an Independent Cluase instead of Absolute Phrase.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2005, 16:39
jpv wrote:
Abs Phrase 1: compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C
Abs Phrase 2: (compounds) that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.[/color]

Guys, i am pretty new to this forum.

Pls explain:
1. absolute phares
2. subordinate phares
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2005, 18:40
D's structure is actually that of 2 dependent clauses following the hyphen, which in this case is used like a semi-colon.
Thus, you have:
ind. clause + dep. clause 1 + dep. clause 2 --> the two dependent clauses linked by conjunction "and"

Basically, a phrase is a modifier sentence structure which DOES NOT have any finite verb while a clause DOES have such verb. E has an improper structure whereby conjunction "and" links an absolute phrase(no verb) with a clause.
Read on here to learn more about phrases which in my opinion is an important SC concept:
http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#absolute

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2005, 20:04
So Paul..."D" doesn't really have Abs Phrase right ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2005, 21:20
health benefits - plural, so require a plural 'come'. A and B are out.

(C) - illogically suggests the compounds is also found in something called 'inhibit..' - out
(E) - 'they' have no clear referent

(D) is the best choice. 'are also found in...' is introduced by 'that' to modify antioxidants.. and 'that' introduces another 'modifier' for the antioxideants.

D it is.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2005, 18:56
Paul wrote:
D's structure is actually that of 2 dependent clauses following the hyphen, which in this case is used like a semi-colon.
Thus, you have:
ind. clause + dep. clause 1 + dep. clause 2 --> the two dependent clauses linked by conjunction "and"

Basically, a phrase is a modifier sentence structure which DOES NOT have any finite verb while a clause DOES have such verb. E has an improper structure whereby conjunction "and" links an absolute phrase(no verb) with a clause.
Read on here to learn more about phrases which in my opinion is an important SC concept:
http://www.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/phrases.htm#absolute

I missed this post.

Paul, I agree that the portion after "that" (including) is Dependent Clause and joined with Conjunction "and". My point is what is : "- Compounds X".

What will say for this sentence? However, this may not perfectly right in meaning.
Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds found in abundance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2005, 04:26
I believe the meaning is fine. What comes after a semi-colon, or hyphen, works as an appositive; to give extra information on the noun that precedes (notice how I used semi-colon here and how the infinitive phrase, or appositive, gives extra information on "appositive")

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 334 [0], given: 543

Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:54
Can someone clarify between D and E I'm more inclined to D... Because in E "they" seems ambiguous could be referring to antioxidants or compounds?

Benefits --> come so A and B are out

C seems to change the parallelism list

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1236 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 07:17
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone clarify between D and E I'm more inclined to D... Because in E "they" seems ambiguous could be referring to antioxidants or compounds?

Benefits --> come so A and B are out

C seems to change the parallelism list

Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from antioxidants—compounds also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C that inhibit the formation of plaque along the body’s blood vessels.

D. come from antioxidants—compounds that are also found in beta carotene, vitamin E, and vitamin C and that

This is a problem that deals with the structure of the sentence. D is parallel "compounds that modifier and that modifier. E does not have a legit strcuture: "compounds modifier , and they clause

I would not bother with the pronoun issue.

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Re: Most of the purported health benefits of tea comes from   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 07:17