Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Ross, Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - Supply of Uranium [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:23
vksunder wrote:
Guys, I havent really started studying CR and this is the first time I've come across a question stem like the one mentioned here.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument? -- Does this mean weaken/undermine the argument in this question??

Start with the videos at the website

www.gmatprepnow.com

They have all the lesson modules of CR, RC and SC are free. Atleast you ll get an idea what you are heading into in Verbal Section.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Supply of Uranium [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 20:33
debaranjansahoo wrote:

They have all the lesson modules of CR, RC and SC are free. Atleast you ll get an idea what you are heading into in Verbal Section.

Thanks man for sharing the link. But when I clicked on a module, no video is coming up. Need to verify on a different computer.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 01:24
i can't understand why A is the answer.. i would choose this option only in a "weaken question", but this is an "evaluation question"; my kaplan book says: "The correct answer won't strengthen or weaken the author's reasoning or supply a missing assumption. Instead, the right answer will specify the kind of evidence that you would help you to judge the validity of the author's argument"
this is the reason why i'd chose C
can someone helps me?
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1154 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 01:54
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
lucasITA wrote:
i can't understand why A is the answer.. i would choose this option only in a "weaken question", but this is an "evaluation question"; my kaplan book says: "The correct answer won't strengthen or weaken the author's reasoning or supply a missing assumption. Instead, the right answer will specify the kind of evidence that you would help you to judge the validity of the author's argument"
can someone helps me?

We want to evaluate this:

Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

a. Whether the uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted
This is the correct answer. If the deposits on land are rapidly being depleted, the uranium's price is going to be higher so despite the high costs, the method of obtaining uranium will be commercially viable.

c. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the costs of extracting uranium from seawater
I) show promise of reduce != will reduce
II) determining the possible existence of such technologies does not help us in evaluating the argument
(...) until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced (...) <== it has no effect on this

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Supply of Uranium [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 05:55
icandy wrote:
Seems to be A for the reasons mentioned above.

rapid depletion on land will make the extraction from seawater a necessity and hence commercially viable.

I agree that rapid depletion on land will make the extraction from seawater a necessity, but how it makes it commercially viable then ?

Could anyone answer?

Thanks

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 23:24
gmat blows wrote:
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from the mines. It is possible to extract uranium from seawater, but the cost of doing so is greater than the price that Uranium fetches on the world market. Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in evaluating the argument?

b. Whether most uranium is used near where it is mined
c. Whether there are any technological advances that show promise of reducing the costs of extracting uranium from seawater
d. Whether the total amount of Uranium in seawater is significantly greater than the total amount of uranium on land
e. Whether uranium can be extracted from freshwater at a cost similar to the cost of extracting it from seawater.

From the list of options, I left myself with A and C. What made (A) not an answer for me was the face that the question asked about commercial viability. If uranium deposits on land deplete themselves, we will have to start extracting from seawater. This doesn't address costs at all, so I chose (C).
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 335

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 09:48
A nice question and good explanation by Zarrolou (3 posts above).
Bumping it up.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2014, 21:09
Zarrolou wrote:
lucasITA wrote:
can someone helps me?

We want to evaluate this:

Therefore, until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced, this method of obtaining uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

This is the correct answer. If the deposits on land are rapidly being depleted, the uranium's price is going to be higher so despite the high costs, the method of obtaining uranium will be commercially viable.

I) show promise of reduce != will reduce
II) determining the possible existence of such technologies does not help us in evaluating the argument
(...) until the cost of extracting uranium from seawater can somehow be reduced (...) <== it has no effect on this

Hi e-gmat/zarr,

P: Most uranium comes from mines.
P: Uranium can come from sea water too, but not accompanies profit.
C: Unless the cost is reduced and since the prices are not too high, the uranium is unlikely to be commercially viable.

Assumption: Cost won't reduce in future.
Price won't increase in future.

In (A). are we not assuming that since uranium in deposits on land is rapidly being depleted, the price of uranium will rise and hence the profits for uranium extracted from sea water.?

The issue is "commercially viable" and not the demand of uranium.

If even after demand has increased the prices remain stable, then this uranium won't be commercially viable.

Choice (C) on the other hand states that there might be decrease in cost which is a condition (as per the argument) to make uranium from sea water commercially viable.

Please suggest !

Rgds,
TGC!

Most of the world's supply of uranium currently comes from   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2014, 21:09