Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 196 [2] , given: 0

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2008, 12:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:57) correct 15% (01:01) wrong based on 274 sessions
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money,
with their objectives being to protect
taxpayers and the credit of the state government.
A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect.
B. to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of
C. to borrow money, limitations intended to protect.
D. for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting.
E. for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [3] , given: 13

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:15
This post received
KUDOS
Will vote for C

A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect. - Pronoun "their" is ambiguous - can refer to States or limitations
B. to borrow money, the objectives of which are the protecting of - of which ??
C. to borrow money, limitations intended to protect. - Correct - limitations intended to protect x & y
D. for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting. - for borrowing money - idiom error
E. for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting. - for borrowing money - idiom error
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 198

Kudos [?]: 280 [3] , given: 5

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kuttingchai wrote:
Will vote for C

A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect. - Pronoun "their" is ambiguous - can refer to States or limitations
C. to borrow money, limitations intended to protect. - Correct - limitations intended to protect x & y
D. for borrowing money, of which the objective is protecting. - for borrowing money - idiom error
E. for borrowing money, limitations with the intent of protecting. - for borrowing money - idiom error

Good explanation and the correct answer is C. I should point out a key issue on answer choice A. You cite pronoun ambiguity as the reason to eliminate answer choice A, but the GMAT has shown a surprising tolerance for pronoun ambiguity, so you shouldn't use that for elminations. Stragnely, the GMAT is almost completely intolerant of the word "being" (OG13 #100 is one of the few correct uses of the word being), so you can comfortably eliminate choices with "being".

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 12:20
JCLEONES wrote:
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money,

I think the second clause starting with "with their objective...." does not has a verb hence we need to insert a verb...If we use this only C will remain and others will be eliminated.
A.to protect is not verb its an infinitive.
B. are ...protecting is verb but the usage is absurd.
C. intended is verb....
D. is protecting is verb, for borrowing is not the correct usage here "to borrow' is preferable and correct.
E. no verb present "intent " is noun and protecting is participal.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 03:38
KyleWiddison wrote:
kuttingchai wrote:
Will vote for C

Good explanation and the correct answer is C. I should point out a key issue on answer choice A. You cite pronoun ambiguity as the reason to eliminate answer choice A, but the GMAT has shown a surprising tolerance for pronoun ambiguity, so you shouldn't use that for elminations. Stragnely, the GMAT is almost completely intolerant of the word "being" (OG13 #100 is one of the few correct uses of the word being), so you can comfortably eliminate choices with "being".

KW

Hi kyle,
I understand E is wrong due to idiom error but I would like to know if the following is incorrect in E. Kindly help.
' limitations with the intent of protecting'

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 280 [1] , given: 5

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2013, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Sachin9 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
kuttingchai wrote:
Will vote for C

KW

Hi kyle,
I understand E is wrong due to idiom error but I would like to know if the following is incorrect in E. Kindly help.
' limitations with the intent of protecting'

There is nothing grammatically wrong with the phrase "limitations with the intent of protecting", but when we compare it to the alternative, "limitations intended to protect", we can see it's shortcomings. "Intended to protect" is a much stronger phrase with a very clear meaning, whereas "limitations with the intent of protecting" is awkward and a bit unclear. Also, this is one of the few times that you can use Concision to make an elimination on the GMAT. Most people think that Concision means the shortest answer choice, but that is not the case at all. If fact, very often when you apply the Concision rule correctly, you are eliminating the shorter answer choices. Concision really means focusing on word selection and choosing a single word as opposed to a phrase. In this case, "Intended" is more concise than "with the intent", so you would eliminate E on that basis.

Hope that helps.

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 03:48
here, To protect and to borrow money is parallel. So we can easily eliminate the options B,D and E. Confusion should come between A and C. Finally Answer is 'C'
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Scrum Alliance
Concentration: Strategy, Technology

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:08

Would it still be correct if the word limitations was omitted...???
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '16

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 04:56

Hi kyle,
' limitations with the intent of protecting'[/quote]

There is nothing grammatically wrong with the phrase "limitations with the intent of protecting", but when we compare it to the alternative, "limitations intended to protect", we can see it's shortcomings. "Intended to protect" is a much stronger phrase with a very clear meaning, whereas "limitations with the intent of protecting" is awkward and a bit unclear. Also, this is one of the few times that you can use Concision to make an elimination on the GMAT. Most people think that Concision means the shortest answer choice, but that is not the case at all. If fact, very often when you apply the Concision rule correctly, you are eliminating the shorter answer choices. Concision really means focusing on word selection and choosing a single word as opposed to a phrase. In this case, "Intended" is more concise than "with the intent", so you would eliminate E on that basis.

Hope that helps.

KW[/quote]

Hi Kylie
Please help. I am confused about c because it is a run on sentence. It has 2 independent sentences.
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money
Limitations intended to protect X n Y.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 65

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 09:12
Excellent explanations!

Just want to understand the for borrowing idiom error -

If choice C was re-stated as follows using for preposition, will it still be correct..

C. to borrow money for borrowing, limitations intended to protect.

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1094 [1] , given: 118

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
nt2010 wrote:
Excellent explanations!

If choice C was re-stated as follows using for preposition, will it still be correct..

Hi nt2010.

I don't think "for borrowing" is wrong idiom. The point, here, is the difference between "to + Verb" and "for + Verb-ing". As egmat (a legend gmat instructor) says "Don’t only trust your ears or instincts. Read on to know why they [to verb or for Verb-ing] don’t get grammatical approval."

In short:

*To + Verb ==> talks about purpose or intent
*For + Verb-ing ==> talks about reason or "what for"

Examples:
I study Gmat to apply Ph.D ==> intention is very clear, so "To + Verb" is correct.
I got admired for graduating Ph.D ==> The reason I got admired is I graduated Ph.D ==> "for + Verb-ing" is correct. We cannot say "to graduate" - intention here.

Back to the question. "For borrowing" is wrong because the intended meaning is "impose limitations on X to do Y". Not "impose limitations on X for/because of doing Y"

Please refer to the link below for details:
to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 12

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2013, 12:15
JCLEONES wrote:

A : is suspicious because of being . i will come back if i find grammatical errors in other options.
B : is verbose and sort of redundant (the objectives of which -> redundant (the objectives are X and Y would have been acceptable)).
C: is concise and clear.
D: ,of which is not correctly used here. another thing to notice is 'is' and it's incorrect because we have plural objectives.
E: Loose out to C because with the intent is verbose compared to intended to in C.

C is Answer.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 280 [1] , given: 5

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nt2010 wrote:
Excellent explanations!

Strictly speaking, no, the idiom "limitations for" is not correct. If you wanted to use the participle borrowing, you could say "limitations ON borrowing" and it would be a correct idiom.

That said, I don't think this is an idiom that you would be likely to see on the GMAT. The incorrect idiom, "limitations for borrowing", is a bit awkward but the intended meaning is still clear. Here is a similar example that I think you could still see on the GMAT because the meaning is significantly impacted by different idiom forms: mistake for vs mistake to. Be careful not to mistake the cat for an intruder [the cat is not an intruder]. Be careful not to mistake the cat to an intruder [you are going to give the cat to an intruder?].

KW

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 5

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 06:06
Expert's post
apps17 wrote:
Hi Kyle
Please help. I am confused about c because it is a run on sentence. It has 2 independent sentences.
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money
Limitations intended to protect X n Y.

C looks may look like a run-on sentence but it is not. For it to be a run-on sentence it would need two independent clauses separated by a comma. An independent clause requires a working (tensed) verb. The word "intended" looks like a verb (past tense) but it's really the past participle acting as a modifier for limitations. To illustrate: I created curfew limitations intended to keep the kids safe. The verb is "created" and "intended" is modifying the word limitations (what type of limitations? the type intended to keep kids safe). To make "intended" a verb I would say: I intended to keep kids safe by creating curfew limitations (here "intended" is acting as the verb). Since we don't have a working verb in the section after the comma, we don't have a run-on sentence.

Does that help?

KW

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 14

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 03:18
KyleWiddison wrote:
kuttingchai wrote:
Will vote for C

KW

regarding the problem of pronoun ambiguity

when there are 2 choices, one choice with pronoun ambiguity and other choice with no pronoun ambiguity, other things equal, gmat force deny the pronoun ambiguity. gmat want us to choos the better.

but pronoun ambiguity can appear in the oa in other questions if this choice with the pronuon ambiguity is the best.

the problem is PREFERENCE NOT ABSOLUTE RULE.

in this problem, we can avoid the pronoun ambiguity, so we have to eliminate A without thinking of "being"

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 05:37
JCLEONES wrote:

I feel the concept tested in this sentence is misplaced Modifier error, which is far worse than any pronoun ambiguity.
A. to borrow money, with their objectives being to protect. - The modifier objectives seem to modify to borrow money instead of limitations
B. Misplaced modifier same as above
C. Correctly states that the limitations were intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.
D. Same issue as A and B
E. 2nd clause is an independent clause and 2 independent clauses can't be linked with a comma, along with it for borrowing money and with the intent of protecting are not idiomatic in this context.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 08:45
Hi E-GMAT,

with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

My understanding, I'm able to eliminate D & E because its starts with "for borrowing " whereas the sentence demand "to borrow" as sentence says "impose limitation".

and in A&B after "to borrow" i can see the construction is awkward.

But in C could you please explain what is the role of "limitations intended to protect" is it a noun modifier ? or could you please explain the sentence structure of Choice C.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-24-2013
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2014, 10:30
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

with their objectives being to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

My understanding, I'm able to eliminate D & E because its starts with "for borrowing " whereas the sentence demand "to borrow" as sentence says "impose limitation".

and in A&B after "to borrow" i can see the construction is awkward.

But in C could you please explain what is the role of "limitations intended to protect" is it a noun modifier ? or could you please explain the sentence structure of Choice C.

Thanks

This sentence structure uses Appositive. An appositive is a word or group of words that identifies or renames another word in a sentence. Appositive constructions offer concise ways of describing or defining a person, place, or thing. Although an appositive usually renames a noun in a sentence, it may instead repeat a noun for the sake of clarity and emphasis.

E.g.
We must find a focus in our lives at an early age, a focus that is beyond the mechanics of earning a living or coping with a household.

Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 18:46
Most states impose limitations on the authority of the legislature to borrow money, limitations intended to protect taxpayers and the credit of the state government.

but I thought these are two independent sentences connected with comma, wouldn't that be a run-on?
Thanks
Ted

Aiming for a 750. Let me know if this is possible.
Ted Chou

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA.in
Prasad: Hariharan
GRE 1: 2280 Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 4

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 19:47
The portion after the comma is not an independent sentence; notice the absence of an "are" or "were" before "intended".
"Intended" functions as an adjective providing info. about the limitations.

Look at this shortened version of the sentence, in which it is clear how "intended" modifies "limitations":
Many states impose limitations intended to protect X.

In the given sentence, "on the authority....money" also modifies the limitations. This inclusion makes it difficult to use a pronoun such as "which" before "intended" to refer all the way back to limitations.

To resolve this difficulty, you can either repeat the noun (limitations) or use another noun that expresses the essence of the action that "intended" modifies (e.g."an action").

--Prasad

GMAT and MBA admissions Coach
EnterMBA

Most states impose limitations on the authority of the   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 19:47