Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Motivation Needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Motivation Needed [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:40
Hi All,
Long time listener, first time poster here. i'm trying to get a handle on where I am with regards to studying for the GMAT. Quant is my big weak area ( In that I didn't even have a lot of the concepts before beginning). I started studying in Jan 2011 and plan to sit the test 25 May 2011.

I've been working my way through the Kaplan Math Workbook and am gaining confidence in the concepts. However, I'm scoring about 50% on average (17/37), is that normal or am I right in assuming it's a poor score?. I am taking note of my weak areas: Ratios, Multiple Figures and Ratio/Percent Word Problems, am planning on ramping up my study from 8 to 15 hours a week through to May and work through every question and I get wrong (and at times those I get right too) .

I've recently purchased the complete Manhatten Review guides which I plan to start next week. Any advice on motivation/experience reports at this stageor study?

When I read reports of people achieveing a 640 score+ on their diagnostics test, I'm thinking I'm behind the trend.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Motivation Needed [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:53
Well, the number of incorrect does not correleate 100% with your score. What was your score in quant? Around Q30 or Q40? How high score you get mostly depends on how many hard questions you get right.

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Motivation Needed [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:59
Mackieman wrote:
Well, the number of incorrect does not correleate 100% with your score. What was your score in quant? Around Q30 or Q40? How high score you get mostly depends on how many hard questions you get right.

Thanks, I find that in many cases I'm scoring higher in the Advanced questions then the basic. Q30 would be about right.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Motivation Needed [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 07:06
Don't get upset with your early scores. They just indicate that you still have a lot of work to do. It's not that hard to achieve solid 40 in quant part with thorough preparation. Personally I don't think you should devote much time to Kaplan book, in my opinion it's just a tool to get accustomed to solving math questions, as I see you already are. So now you should study hard all the concepts and solve as many OG problems as possible. Just keep practicing and your score will improve drastically.
Tip: if you are not feeling like studying, don't do that just because you have to. You will remember nothing after studying without being concentrated.
Banned

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Motivation Needed [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 19:18
Your first times working GMAT questions (especially quant) will be ugly. I promise you will improve though. Log how much time you are spending studying in excel and it will motivate you to study more. I know that as of right now I have put in 87 hours of studying, and I like watching that number increase after each session.
Re: Motivation Needed   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2011, 19:18