Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Numbers & Percentx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [101]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [23]
Given Kudos: 1422
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [18]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2329 [4]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Motorists in a certain country frequently complain that traffic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Understanding the Passage

Motorists in a certain country frequently complain that traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago.

1. Motorists frequently complain
    2. What do they complain about?
    3. They complain that traffic congestion – now is much worse than traffic congestion – 20 years ago

No real measure of how much traffic congestion there was 20 years ago exists,

There is no way to quantify the traffic congestion 20 years ago. (So, perhaps, it’s difficult to ascertain whether motorists’ complaint is justified)

but the motorists’ complaints are almost certainly unwarranted.

The “but” indicates a contrast. The contrast is that while it’s difficult to quantify traffic congestions 20 years ago (thus it’s difficult to ascertain how true the complaints are), the complaints are almost certainly unjustified.

(Since the author has taken a stand in contrast to what can be expected, I expect the author to support his point in the coming statements)

The country’s highway capacity has tripled in the last twenty years, thanks to a vigorous highway construction program, whereas the number of automobiles registered in the country has increased by only 75 percent.

This statement supports the author’s stand (the motorists’ complaints are almost certainly unwarranted).

This statement says that the highway capacity has grown to 3 times the capacity 20 years ago while the number of vehicles registered has grown to only 1.75 times its number 20 years ago.

(How does it support the author’s stand? The underlying logic is that since the growth in highway capacity is greater than the growth in the number of vehicles registered, there is more highway capacity now than there was 20 years ago per vehicle registered in the country. Thus, there should be less congestion now than there was 20 years ago.)

The GIST

1.Motorists complain that traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago.
    2. The complaints are unjustified.
    3. Why?
    4. Because the highway capacity has grown to 3x the capacity 20 years ago while the number of automobiles registered has grown to 1.75x (less than 3x).

The GAPS

We find gaps by thinking how traffic congestion can be much worse now than it was 20 years ago despite the fact that highway capacity has grown at a faster rate than the number of registered automobiles.

Here are a few gaps that I could identify:

1. Perhaps, a lot of people are driving unregistered automobiles.
    2. Perhaps, registered automobiles are driven much more now than they were 20 years ago (more traffic per automobile)
    3. Perhaps, the number of scooters has increased to 10x in the last 20 years (scooters are not considered automobiles but can contribute to traffic congestion).
    4. Perhaps, the additional highway capacity added in the last 20 years has been mainly along the routes that are not used much.
    5. Perhaps, the non-highway capacity (inner roads in the cities) has not been expanded, resulting in traffic congestion inside the cities.

There can be more gaps in the argument. Can you think of any?

The Evaluation

(A) Most automobile travel is local, and the networks of roads and streets in the country's settled areas have changed little over the last 20 years.

Correct. This option is around the last gap that I identified above. (Are you wondering whether I thought of the gap after understanding this option? Are you accusing me of cheating? No problem. I did cheat :)

If most automobile travel is along the network of roads and streets that haven’t grown in the last 20 years, we have a reason to believe that traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago.

Thus, the conclusion that the complaints are unwarranted stands weakened.

(I believe that some people reject this option, saying that this option strengthens the argument. This way of going wrong is quite frequent in arguments that follow the structure of this argument - Present X, Then, conclude X is not the case. X in this case is ‘traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago’.)

In such arguments, some people consider an option supporting X to be a strengthener. That’s wrong. If an option supports X, it goes against the conclusion that X is not the case. Thus, that option is a weakened.)

(B) Gasoline prices are high, and miles traveled per car per year have not changed much over the last 20 years.

Incorrect. This option is in line with the second gap I identified. (I didn’t cheat here :))

However, this option strengthens the argument rather than weakens it. If miles traveled per car hasn’t changed much in the last 20 years, we have more reason to believe that the traffic congestion is NOT much worse now than it was 20 years ago.

(C) The country's urban centers have well-developed public transit systems that carry most of the people who commute into those centers.

Incorrect. This option talks about the present scenario (“have”). It says that country’s urban centers have good public transport systems. In such a case, people don’t need to use their own automobiles to travel. Thus, instead of several automobiles (in case people travel in private automobiles), we have a bus or a train. So, this option indicates that there is perhaps less congestion than possible.

Thus, this option doesn’t weaken the argument.

(D) The average age of automobiles registered in the country is lower now than it was 20 years ago.

Incorrect. This option has no impact on the argument.

Let’s first try to understand the meaning of this option statement. The option talks about the average age of automobiles registered in the country.

How do we calculate the average age of automobiles registered in the country?

We’ll sum the ages of all the automobiles registered in the country and divide this number by the number of automobiles registered in the country.

This average represents how old an average automobile registered in the country is. For example, the average age of 5 years means that automobiles are not very old (perhaps, the old vehicles are destroyed), whereas the average age of 15 years means that automobiles, on average, are quite old.

Is the average age of the automobiles, or how old the automobiles are, relevant to the argument?

Not at all.

(Not that it would matter, but it is worth noticing that the average age of vehicles doesn’t point to the number of vehicles on the road. The average age is a factor of how quickly old vehicles are discarded.)

(E) Radio stations have long been broadcasting regular traffic reports that inform motorists about traffic congestion.

Incorrect. Let’s consider the following statement:

E1: Motorists' perceptions about traffic congestion are mainly based on traffic reports published by credible sources.

E1 is a weakener. By suggesting that motorists’ complaint is based on some authentic source of information, this statement weakens the conclusion that their complaint is unwarranted.

However, option E has almost no impact since option E doesn’t say that

1. the traffic reports published by radio stations are credible.
    2. the traffic reports published by radio stations DO NOT differ in terms of whether traffic congestion has increased. (If they differ, then perhaps motorists’ perception is mainly a result of their biased focus on reports saying that the congestion has increased) [It’s important to be aware that option E says traffic reports inform about traffic congestion. The information could be that there is no traffic congestion.]
    3. motorists’ perception of traffic congestion is not influenced much more by subjective factors than by these reports.

We can notice that while option E triggers you into thinking along the lines of E1, E is very different from E1. While E1 is a good weakener, E has almost no impact.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Motorists in a certain country frequently complain that traffic [#permalink]
Can anyone please write the premises and conclusion of this question? I did it twice and did it wrong in both attempts. I know the answer now but it's not satisfying me without knowing premises and conclusion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Motorists in a certain country frequently complain that traffic [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
preranachaulagain wrote:
Can anyone please write the premises and conclusion of this question? I did it twice and did it wrong in both attempts. I know the answer now but it's not satisfying me without knowing premises and conclusion

Premise: The country’s highway capacity has tripled in the last twenty years, thanks to a vigorous highway construction program, whereas the number of automobiles registered in the country has increased by only 75 percent.

Conclusion: The motorists’ complaints (that traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago) are almost certainly unwarranted.

Option A states a reason that the motorists' complain could be valid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [2]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
An easy one I guess

(A) Most automobile travel is local, and the networks of roads and streets in the country's settled areas have changed little over the last 20 years. So the motorists are actually traveling within the city and not on the highways. Hence, the argument stands weakened as the expansion of highway is doing no good to these motorists traveling within the city limits. This looks good and in line with our questions.

(B) Gasoline prices are high, and miles traveled per car per year have not changed much over the last 20 years.
Irrelevant. Does not in any way weaken the argument

(C) The country's urban centers have well-developed public transit systems that carry most of the people who commute into those centers.

Does not weaken. Irrelevant piece of information

(D) The average age of automobiles registered in the country is lower now than it was 20 years ago.

What has the average age got to do with traffic? Irrelevant

(E) Radio stations have long been broadcasting regular traffic reports that inform motorists about traffic congestion.
even if they inform about congestion, they do not help reduce it in any way..Irrelevant

Hence, A is the answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [3]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
Kudos
The conclusion is :- The motorists' complaints that " traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago " are almost certainly unwarranted.
If we weaken it , it becomes :- The complaints are warranted and the traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago.

Option A says :- "Most automobile travel is local, and the networks of roads and streets in the country's settled areas have changed little over the last 20 years."
Since the areas where motorists travel dint change much although the country's highway capacity has tripled in the last twenty years, thanks to a vigorous highway construction program, motorists' complaints are warranted and the traffic congestion is much worse now than it was 20 years ago.

Option A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

If the miles traveled per car has remained the same and there is a 75% increase in automobiles, then indirectly it is telling us that congestion has increased. At least from mathematical point of view. So clearly, there is congestion and motorists complains aren't unwarranted. So in some way, this is also weakening the argument. Please suggest your opinion - experts.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rk0510 wrote:
Hi,

If the miles traveled per car has remained the same and there is a 75% increase in automobiles, then indirectly it is telling us that congestion has increased. At least from mathematical point of view. So clearly, there is congestion and motorists complains aren't unwarranted. So in some way, this is also weakening the argument. Please suggest your opinion - experts.

Here's (B) again:

Quote:

This means that the total number of miles traveled on the country’s roads has increased over the past 20 years, but it does not indicate that congestion has increased. In fact, it suggests the opposite. Consider the math: the country’s highways can accommodate three times as much traffic as they could 20 years ago. But the quantity of traffic has only increased by a factor of 1.75. That means there is actually less “traffic per highway capacity” today than there was 20 years ago. Eliminate (B).

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Send PM
Dear Experts- Can someoe tell me why C is wrong? Is it just that it talks of urban centers thats why? Please explain the option in detail
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [5]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos