Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Moving Beyond Q44

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 06:44

Last edited by bepbep12 on 13 Oct 2013, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [1] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 08:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,
Even my quant score was stagnant at 44-45 for sometime, then I changed my strategy a bit and listed out topics where my confidence and accuracy was high, topics were i would correctly answer the question in 2+ mins and topics where my accuracy was low.
I started polishing the concepts of the topics where I thought I needed more work (some new formula, shorter ways to get to the answer etc) . Rather than solving the questions straight away I tried to plug in numbers, substitute answer choices and back solve etc. This helped me a great deal.
While taking the test, instead of wasting time on solving a question for 3-4 mins now I started guessing and moving on in 2 or less minutes (mostly questions on which my accuracy was low), this gave me some more time on questions I was confident about but were calculation intensive. This can easily help you boost ur score by 2-3 points.

Hope this helps us

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 03:42
This post received
KUDOS
I've also been in your shoes. The first time i took a CAT i scored a Q 43 (or 44) and was depressed because this was at the back end of an intense 2.5 month self prep concentrating mainly on quant (around 75% of time was alloted to quant). I then began a series of self checks, and found that i was doing badly on on certain areas and certain types of questions. A month of hard concentrated prep using official questions ( OG Quant, and OG13) as a base and then moving on to harder sources (Veritas prep advanced word problem, and DS book , MGMAT Advanced Quant) i found my overall test score improved. I have gotten 45 , 47 and 47 on my last three CAT's and this is about a month after the first CAT, It is certainly doable in 15-20 days.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Intern
Intern

Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 07:21

Last edited by bepbep12 on 13 Oct 2013, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 07:44
Quote:
did you focus on the concepts or the process of doing the problems?

I only re read the strategy books for concepts in areas where i needed review (Such as SOLIDS etc). I concentrated mainly on looking at strategy for tackling question types and reviewing solutions to the questions that i found challenging (even those that i got right). My problem was that i was fretting too much about the advanced 700+ questions and those were taking a lot of my time ( Perhaps 80% of my practice questions could be clubbed in the 700 level category (or beyond) ). I had a good strategy to tackle the real tough questions but was not getting enough practice for the medium level questions and therefore was not doing well on them. I could say that my main error was in making CARELESS mistakes especially in WORD PROBLEMS. For this i targetted my practice by finishing the Advanced Word problem book by Veritas (despite of the cover, it is essentially a 650 level book ( except a few questions that are 700 level)... I spent a good 10 - 15 days going over answering strategies from the Advanced Quant book (not concentrating so much on the question sets but the strategy). I do not feel i learned much more concept than i knew when i was getting 43 but i had a clearly defined strategy to solve each sub type. Now that i look at the way i answer questions, i see a clear coherent approach that is consistant and NEAT as compared to the haphazard way of answering questions (that I was using earlier)..I have also now become better in reading the questions and getting an idea as to which approach would be quickest and would give me the best chance to get it right.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 423 [1] , given: 243

Premium Member
Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 19:31
This post received
KUDOS
hey,
Just forgot to mention, the back solving, plugging in numbers, pattern recognition ,etc strategies are mentioned in MGMT advanced quant book, if you have that great because it covers all that and in case you don't have one you can watch Ron from mgmt explain those in the video lessons (links below). His video series is really good. Just took a gmat prep mock yesterday and got a Q 49 just by bailing on the right questions, and employing these strategies. Hope they work for you too. GL

http://vimeo.com/11330152
http://vimeo.com/39703039
http://vimeo.com/48398779

also you may refer this article
several-people-has-asked-me-if-it-is-possible-to-improve-40820.html

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Intern
Intern

Re: Moving Beyond Q44 [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 02:42
Re: Moving Beyond Q44   [#permalink] 02 Jan 2013, 02:42