Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:07

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Moving up hierarchy in 1 firm vs better varied experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Moving up hierarchy in 1 firm vs better varied experience [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 12:12
My first post at gmatclub :)

I am an economics under graduate currently in a pickle. I am currently working in my first job at an internal risk management division of a Big 4 audit firm and am about to complete 2 years working here. I plan to apply to US b-schools after 2-3 years.

I currently have two options:

1. Work in the current firm (which is not even the middle office but actually a captive KPO) and work up the hierarchy to possibly being a team lead of 15-20 people (optimistic but probable) by the time I start applying. The obvious upside is learning management skills and displaying leadership which I can highlight upon and that schools tend to favor in applications. Downside is that the work sucks and has no impact. I am not dealing with clients and my work involves minimal research and majority of data processing.

2. Transition to a mid-tier consulting or finance role. I will be starting from scratch at an analyst level but the work would be more interesting, challenging, better quality of peers etc. If I perform well, we're looking at senior analyst or sorts managing a team of 2-3 after a couple of years.

So which according to you is better? In terms of experience, learning, personal growth, future prospects etc. Both scenarios entail a different type of learning. If I stay at my current job, I will get to learn people, work management, leadership skills, mentoring etc. If I move, I would be working at a consulting or finance role, learning loads both from work and co-workers, managing hectic hours etc.

I haven't mentioned my post MBA career since I haven't really decided on one :? I'm interested towards strategy consulting, branding or corp dev.

Thank you for reading through my long post. Hoping to get some clarity and advice on this. :)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Moving up hierarchy in 1 firm vs better varied experience [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 12:50
sehej wrote:
My first post at gmatclub :)

I am an economics under graduate currently in a pickle. I am currently working in my first job at an internal risk management division of a Big 4 audit firm and am about to complete 2 years working here. I plan to apply to US b-schools after 2-3 years.

I currently have two options:

1. Work in the current firm (which is not even the middle office but actually a captive KPO) and work up the hierarchy to possibly being a team lead of 15-20 people (optimistic but probable) by the time I start applying. The obvious upside is learning management skills and displaying leadership which I can highlight upon and that schools tend to favor in applications. Downside is that the work sucks and has no impact. I am not dealing with clients and my work involves minimal research and majority of data processing.

2. Transition to a mid-tier consulting or finance role. I will be starting from scratch at an analyst level but the work would be more interesting, challenging, better quality of peers etc. If I perform well, we're looking at senior analyst or sorts managing a team of 2-3 after a couple of years.

So which according to you is better? In terms of experience, learning, personal growth, future prospects etc. Both scenarios entail a different type of learning. If I stay at my current job, I will get to learn people, work management, leadership skills, mentoring etc. If I move, I would be working at a consulting or finance role, learning loads both from work and co-workers, managing hectic hours etc.

I haven't mentioned my post MBA career since I haven't really decided on one :? I'm interested towards strategy consulting, branding or corp dev.

Thank you for reading through my long post. Hoping to get some clarity and advice on this. :)

I was in a similar situation in my previous position--working in a back office finance role and choosing between a promotion or front-office lateral transfer (I also considered outside finance/consulting jobs). In the end I went with the lateral transfer to a front-office role, which gives me more client exposure and better pay and more use of my analytical skills.

I'm glad I stayed with the same company because it shows a degree of continuity, but if I couldn't have made a lateral transfer the way I did, I definitely would have switched to a completely different role in a new company.

The way you describe your current job, it sounds like it might drive you crazy/bore you to death before too long. I think that needs to be a guiding concern here. I'm not sure if the benefit of gaining leadership experience is worth it if, as you describe, "the work sucks."

I think this should be your primary concern before even beginning to consider what will look good on an MBA application.

Best of luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 215

Re: Moving up hierarchy in 1 firm vs better varied experience [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 15:55
sehej wrote:
Downside is that the work sucks

I don't think you need to think much about it mate. Get a new job. You should always aim to be in a job you love.
Re: Moving up hierarchy in 1 firm vs better varied experience   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2013, 15:55