Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 09:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Smith '16 (I)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 07:15
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:30) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they didn’t make it to the opening night of the new theater performance.

A) Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they couldn’t
B) The grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary wouldn’t let them go, so this is the reason
C) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t
D) This being the reason why Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren and couldn’t
E) The problem was that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t leave their grandchildren and that is why they hadn’t

Life is very similar to a boxing ring.
Defeat is not final when you fall down…
It is final when you refuse to get up and fight back!

1 Kudos = 1 thanks
Nikhil

Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2012, 09:37
I'll take a shot at this.

It between A and C for me, but ultimately I went for C.

A) Usage of this is incorrect. They should use "That".
B) "Wouldn't let them go" is not clear. Wouldn't let them go to what/where?
C) This is correct. This is the only answer that is grammatically correct.
D) What is "This" referring to? Unclear
E) hadn't is not correct. Should be didn't or couldn't
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 513

Kudos [?]: 2121 [0], given: 30

Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 13:25
Expert's post
nikhil007 wrote:
Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they
didn’t
make it to the opening night of the new theater performance.

a) Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they couldn’t
b) The grandchildren of Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary wouldn’t let them go, so this is the reason
c) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t
d) This being the reason why Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren and couldn’t
e) The problem was that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t leave their grandchildren and that is why they hadn’t

Dear nikhil007:
With all due respect to CMcAboy, I disagree. I would say the best answer by far is (A).

(A) direct, no grammatical problem --- I don't know where CMcAboy thinks a "that" is required. The second part could be "this is why" or "that is why" --- either is perfectly fine.
(B) "this is the reason" --- first of all, this one would require a "that" or "why" after the word "reason". Also, way too wordy and indirect.
(C) "the fact that" + "the reason that" --- both clauses are indirect --- that's the kiss of death on GMAT SC. Direct and powerful is what the GMAT wants.
(D) "this being the reason why" --- putridly wrong
(E) "the problem was that" + "that is why they" --- both clause indirect, so again, this can't possibly be right.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 23:14
Expert's post
CMcAboy, "that" implies distance or selection. Consider this sentence:

"Many suspected that Mr. and Mrs. O'Leary's age kept them from the performance, but in fact, Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren and that is why they didn’t make it to the opening night."

Here, I am contrasting the expected reason with the actual reason, and so I use "that" to select the actual reason.

In the sentence as written, there is no need to select so "this" is probably preferable. However, note that this is a style preference, not a grammatical error, so "this" or "that" would both be acceptable. Therefore, I like (A).

With (C), we should look at other factors, most notably that a fact is not a reason - those words have very different meanings, and one should probably not be used to describe the other. This is a meaning problem, and trumps the style issue. Also, "the fact that" is generally unnecessary - not really wrong on its own, but often the GMAT will use it in wrong answers. Treat it with suspicion, along with "being."

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 11:53
Just a quick heads up.. This question is part of the GmatClub Grammar Book and the OA for this question in the book stands as C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 74

Premium Member
Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC) [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2014, 23:44
Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they didn’t make it to the opening night of the new theater performance.

A) Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary couldn’t get away from their grandchildren, and this is why they couldn’t
- This says that Mr and Mrs Oleary couldnt get away from their grandchildren.

C) The fact that Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary didn’t want to leave their grandchildren is the reason why they didn’t
- Here it says that they didnt want to leave their grandchildren .

both are having different meaning if it plays a imp role . I think if i look at meaning i will go to A because that sounds a more appropriate reason for not attending the theater.
While b,d,e are totally out of question.
Re: Mr. and Mrs. O’Leary (SC)   [#permalink] 17 Jun 2014, 23:44