Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Jul 2015, 20:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2003
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 11:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:35) correct 40% (01:29) wrong based on 208 sessions
Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

(A) \(\frac{T+2}{J} + 1\)

(B) \(JT + 1\)

(C) \(\frac{J}{T} + \frac{1}{T}\)

(D) \(TJ - 1\)

(E) \(\frac{T+J}{J}\)

Source: Manhattan Guide
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 22 Dec 2009
Posts: 364
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 259 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 12:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
5
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

(A) \(\frac{T+2}{J} + 1\)

(B) \(JT + 1\)

(C) \(\frac{J}{T} + \frac{1}{T}\)

(D) \(TJ - 1\)

(E) \(\frac{T+J}{J}\)

Source: Manhattan Guide

Please give the algebric solution.
_________________

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|


~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~


Last edited by Bunuel on 22 Nov 2012, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jun 2009
Posts: 308
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 88 [1] , given: 6

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 12:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Need the solution using Algebra....

Mr. & Mrs Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

(A) \(\frac{T+2}{J} + 1\)

(B) \(JT + 1\)

(C) \(\frac{J}{T} + \frac{1}{T}\)

(D) \(TJ - 1\)

(E) \(\frac{T+J}{J}\)

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA:
(A)


Source: Manhattan Guide

Please give the algebric solution.


Lets take it this way,

They had first child today, after J years they will have 2nd child, and again after J years they will have 3rd child..

And now according to the Q stem in T + 2 years they will have J kids

Hence number kids in T + 2 years = T+2 /J

We will have to add 1 (their first/oldest Kid)

Hence Total number of kids = (T+2 / J) + 1

cheers
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.
Joined: 12 Oct 2009
Posts: 2800
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 1156 [1] , given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 01:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Ans A

their first child was born after J years...

thus 1 child ---> j years

=> thus after another J years his age = J

thus his age is J --> after 2J years and 2j after 3j years

his present age is T which is after T years.

thus total time after 2years will be T+2
since after every J year they have a child after T+2 they will have \(\frac{(T+2)}{J}\) + 1 ( +1 is for the oldest)

thus A
_________________

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5682
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1413

Kudos [?]: 7319 [1] , given: 186

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 02:15
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Lstadt wrote:
Sorry for pumping this old one up but I seem to never get it working when J =5 and T =20.

If they have a child every 5 years and their oldest is 20 years then this means that they have
1 child at year 0
2 children at year 5
3 children at year 10
4 children at year 15
5 children at year 20
They have 5 total children right now. After two years, they should have a total of 6.

If I plug in numbers, none of the choices fit.

The answer provided is (A) but if I plug in T + 2 /J + 1 I end up having a non integer.

20 + 2 /5 +1 = 4.5

Any help?


The numbers you chose are incorrect. If J = 5, T cannot be 20 because they are going to have another child in 2 yrs. Hence T can be 23 or 28 etc but not 20.
If T = 23 and J = 5,

T + 2 /J + 1 = (23 + 2)/5 + 1 = 6 which is correct

Think of it this way:

After 2 yrs, there will be another child. If they have a child every J years, it means (J - 2) yrs have passed since they had their last child.
Let's say T = (J-2) + nJ
n is the number of periods of J years that have passed since T was born. In each one of these periods, one child must have been born.

Re-arranging, n = (T+2)/J - 1
so total number of children the couple will have after 2 yrs is n+2 (+2 to account for T and for the child that will be born 2 yrs from now)

Total number of children = (T+2)/J - 1 + 2 = (T+2)/J + 1
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5682
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1413

Kudos [?]: 7319 [1] , given: 186

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 23:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Lstadt wrote:
Thank you very much.

Please bear with me for a minute. I am still confused as how landed at 23 or 28. Did you choose these numbers to make sure that they end up being divisible by J? Since we must have an integer as the number of children?


You chose J as 5. I only picked some values for T that would work with J = 5
How did I do that? After 2 yrs, there will be another child. It means 3 yrs have passed since their last child (since J = 5).
If T was born in year 0, there would have been a child every 5 years. Right now, we are 3 yrs more than some multiple of 5. So T could be 3 yrs old (no child born after T)/8 yrs old (1 child born after T)/13 yrs old (2 children born after T) etc
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 5682
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1413

Kudos [?]: 7319 [1] , given: 186

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 09:45
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jeeteshsingh wrote:
Need the solution using Algebra....

Mr. & Mrs Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

(A) \(\frac{T+2}{J} + 1\)

(B) \(JT + 1\)

(C) \(\frac{J}{T} + \frac{1}{T}\)

(D) \(TJ - 1\)

(E) \(\frac{T+J}{J}\)

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA:
(A)


Source: Manhattan Guide

Please give the algebric solution.


Think of it as an Arithmetic Progression where every subsequent term (child) has a difference of J yrs from the previous term (child).

1st child, 2nd child, 3rd child, ....... nth child (to be born after 2 yrs)

What is the difference between first and last terms (children)? (T + 2) yrs

What is the common difference (age difference between two consecutive kids)? J yrs

What is the number of terms (children)? (T + 2)/J + 1
(Number of terms of an AP is n = (Last term - First term)/Common Difference + 1. )
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2006
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 14:04
jainvineet wrote:
Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

1) (T+2)/J + 1
2) JT + 1
3) J/T + 1/T
4) TJ-1
5) (J+T)/J

My answer is (T+2J) /J OA is 1.


Try with numbers:

They have a child every 3 years (J=3)

child 1 is 1 year old
ch 2 4y
ch 3 7y
ch 4 10y (oldest)

T=10
They have 4 children now

(10+2)/3 =(T+2)/J

After 2 years they will have (T+2)/J +1
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2003
Posts: 85
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2007, 17:56
jvujuc wrote:
jainvineet wrote:
Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest child is now T years old. If they have a child 2 years from now, how many children will they have in total?

1) (T+2)/J + 1
2) JT + 1
3) J/T + 1/T
4) TJ-1
5) (J+T)/J

My answer is (T+2J) /J OA is 1.


Try with numbers:

They have a child every 3 years (J=3)

child 1 is 1 year old
ch 2 4y
ch 3 7y
ch 4 10y (oldest)

T=10
They have 4 children now

(10+2)/3 =(T+2)/J

After 2 years they will have (T+2)/J +1



Please show me without number substituion.

Ok finally I am able to understand this question.

Age of the oldest kid at the time of birth of latest sibling is (x-1)J where x is the total number of kids.

T+2 = (x-1)J

Hence A. Not so QED.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 366
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 22

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 15:05
Their oldest kid is T y/o.
From the question stem, their youngest kid alive is J-2 y/o.
We need to know how many kids are there between T and J-2 spaced exactly J years apart. This is an arithmetic progression.

(J-2) + (n-1)J = T, inclusive. This gives n = (T+2)/J. Question stem also states that they are going to have a baby after 2 yrs from now, so we have to add that kid to n to get the total number of kids the Wiley family will have.
Therefore, answer is A.
_________________

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 37
Schools: University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 9

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 00:21
BarneyStinson wrote:
Their oldest kid is T y/o.
From the question stem, their youngest kid alive is J-2 y/o.
We need to know how many kids are there between T and J-2 spaced exactly J years apart. This is an arithmetic progression.

(J-2) + (n-1)J = T, inclusive. This gives n = (T+2)/J. Question stem also states that they are going to have a baby after 2 yrs from now, so we have to add that kid to n to get the total number of kids the Wiley family will have.
Therefore, answer is A.


Hi Barney,

Your solution makes sense as its simple AP you applied, but I failed to comprehend that how you get J-2 as first element.

As Q says that they'll have kids after every J years and their oldest kid is T years old and the next kid will be due after two years from now but we don't know that how many years back first kid was born....may be I didn't get rightly.

Can you please explain. Thanks.

Cheers!
_________________

--Action is the foundational key to all success.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 65

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2011, 10:08
Sorry for pumping this old one up but I seem to never get it working when J =5 and T =20.

If they have a child every 5 years and their oldest is 20 years then this means that they have
1 child at year 0
2 children at year 5
3 children at year 10
4 children at year 15
5 children at year 20
They have 5 total children right now. After two years, they should have a total of 6.

If I plug in numbers, none of the choices fit.

The answer provided is (A) but if I plug in T + 2 /J + 1 I end up having a non integer.

20 + 2 /5 +1 = 4.5

Any help?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 65

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 03:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Lstadt wrote:
Sorry for pumping this old one up but I seem to never get it working when J =5 and T =20.

If they have a child every 5 years and their oldest is 20 years then this means that they have
1 child at year 0
2 children at year 5
3 children at year 10
4 children at year 15
5 children at year 20
They have 5 total children right now. After two years, they should have a total of 6.

If I plug in numbers, none of the choices fit.

The answer provided is (A) but if I plug in T + 2 /J + 1 I end up having a non integer.

20 + 2 /5 +1 = 4.5

Any help?


The numbers you chose are incorrect. If J = 5, T cannot be 20 because they are going to have another child in 2 yrs. Hence T can be 23 or 28 etc but not 20.
If T = 23 and J = 5,

T + 2 /J + 1 = (23 + 2)/5 + 1 = 6 which is correct

Think of it this way:

After 2 yrs, there will be another child. If they have a child every J years, it means (J - 2) yrs have passed since they had their last child.
Let's say T = (J-2) + nJ
n is the number of periods of J years that have passed since T was born. In each one of these periods, one child must have been born.

Re-arranging, n = (T+2)/J - 1
so total number of children the couple will have after 2 yrs is n+2 (+2 to account for T and for the child that will be born 2 yrs from now)

Total number of children = (T+2)/J - 1 + 2 = (T+2)/J + 1


Thank you very much.

Please bear with me for a minute. I am still confused as how landed at 23 or 28. Did you choose these numbers to make sure that they end up being divisible by J? Since we must have an integer as the number of children?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 65

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 09:14
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Lstadt wrote:
Thank you very much.

Please bear with me for a minute. I am still confused as how landed at 23 or 28. Did you choose these numbers to make sure that they end up being divisible by J? Since we must have an integer as the number of children?


You chose J as 5. I only picked some values for T that would work with J = 5
How did I do that? After 2 yrs, there will be another child. It means 3 yrs have passed since their last child (since J = 5).
If T was born in year 0, there would have been a child every 5 years. Right now, we are 3 yrs more than some multiple of 5. So T could be 3 yrs old (no child born after T)/8 yrs old (1 child born after T)/13 yrs old (2 children born after T) etc


Thank you so much. I now understand it.

To me, it seems as though the wording of the problem is quite obscure because when the question says "They will have a child after two years, it didn't specify whether these two years are included in J or they are just some arbitrary years. That is, they suddenly decided to change their plan and up had a child two years after their last one.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 5349
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2014, 22:33
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 5349
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest [#permalink] New post 29 May 2015, 21:58
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest   [#permalink] 29 May 2015, 21:58
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Mr Ben leaves his house for work at exactly 8:00 AM every mo fozzzy 6 11 Sep 2013, 01:23
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic During the four years that Mrs. Lopez owned her car, she fou carcass 3 16 Jul 2013, 17:15
1 may mrs leh rohansherry 2 30 Aug 2009, 11:16
Last year Mrs. Long received $160 in dividends on her shares el1981 1 13 Apr 2008, 15:02
PS: Mr. & Mrs. Smith TeHCM 2 06 Dec 2005, 00:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Mr. and Mrs. Wiley have a child every J years. Their oldest

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.