Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mr. Blatt: Expert consultants are sought after by management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Mr. Blatt: Expert consultants are sought after by management [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 05:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Mr. Blatt: Expert consultants are sought after by management because they help executives make better decisions. That is why they are worth the substantial fees they charge.
Ms. Fring: Nonsense. Expert consultants are hired in order to enable executives to avoid responsibility. The more the experts cost, the more they can be blamed when things go wrong.
Which one of the following, if it occurred, would be the strongest evidence favoring Ms. Fring’s position over Mr. Blatt’s position?
(A) A company that is trying to decide whether to move its manufacturing plant hires an expensive expert to conduct a cost/benefit analysis.
(B) Two competing companies faced with very similar problems adopt different solutions.
(C) A successful firm of expert consultants seeks to increase its volume of business by reducing its fees, but its volume of business drops.
(D) An expert consultant builds up a successful business by charging clients a substantial percentage of the amount an independent assessor judges that the consultant saved the company.
(E) A company follows a consultant’s advice to open two new stores, but both stores are only marginally profitable at first.

Spoiler: OA is C

I am not sure why the OA is the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 05:40
C seems to be the best answer considering the fact that they the more consultants cost, the more they can be blamed. But the converse is true to align with Ms. Fring's observation. The lower the cost, lower the blame which would mean that if the project failed the executives will be blamed more than the consultants, in which case the business of the consultants will go down because the executives think that the consultants are not worth their cost and they have done a shoddy job!!! That is what I took from the argument...

Not sure if I am right or not....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 05:45
C.

It explains a paradox. Why would a successful company, when reducing cost, be met with decreasing demand....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 05:52
I will go with C.

'C' successfully evidences Fring's statement. Decreasing the fees does not increase the volume of the business strongly support Fring's statement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: consultants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 20:01
If add "with help of an expert consultant firm" before B, then it will be perfect. Without it, go C-- Never doctor oneself. :roll:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2007, 21:34
I believe the answer is D.

We are supposed to find the evidence that supports Mr.Flings argument that Consultants charge hefty money and the executives can blame them in case anything goes wrong.

In D, it is mentioned that the consultants charge hefty amount and build their own business and the independent accessors think they saved the company. This implies that the consultants just made their own pockets full.

In C, the successful consultant firm tries to increase volumes ..... why I am I concerned with the firm ?? Is'nt it out of scope ?

In my opinion its D.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 00:11
C !

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 03:37
whats the OA???
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 05:29
OA is C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2007, 07:32
I'm late but I like the question

Expert consultants are hired in order to enable executives to avoid responsibility. The more the experts cost, the more they can be blamed when things go wrong.

The more expert consultants cost the more they are sought
C says the same

AimHigher

[#permalink] 17 Mar 2007, 07:32